Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

BG3 steam forums are fun atm, people complaining the game is to hard... Incoming 'Games Journo' difficulty level that is easier than the storymode. Also people complaining about the wokeness are stirring up the usual hate mobs screeching about NAAHHZZEEEES and alt right incels.
What do you mean hard? Normal is normal. At low levels they can get screwed up by random crit but... They have revivify scrolls.
Not enough instawin buttons! The forum content is just your average scenario in gaming related stuff.

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Hoarder of loli kats./ Funny ^._.^= ∫
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
1691116206983711.png

Lemming42

Arcane
Loved the janky hospital in the shadow place, with all the nurses in weird masks and the freaky doctor guy with goggles. Very very good visual design there. Lol @ the absolutely ludicrous deception check to get past too.

Also:
C1UTyQC.png

:obviously:

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
The game is clearly tailored for a very different kind of players and characters.

It's really bizarre. I can't fathom Larian's story/level design theory at all.

You have a pretty explosive opening with some urgent, heinous shit going on and then the game slams on the brakes so bad the train derails into a gorge. Everything after the intro is pure, unmitigated filler. Oh dear, some goblins are attacking some tieflings who are also tense with druids--EXCUSE ME I HAVE A WORM EATING MY BRAIN. FUCK OFF.

This is worse than Fallout 4 "Gotta find my son--ooh shiny!" for 200 hours.

But if you try to just skip all this stuff you miss out on the levels you need to actually get anywhere. This was something the late Aweigh mentioned re: DivDiv2; Larian's level design is worse than a scaled game, because it forces you to choke down all the content whether you like it or not just to maintain the minimum level to survive.

If you want the player to grind some filler quests to get their levels up before hitting the main story, put the inciting incident AFTER that filler, not before.

Yes, it's beyond ridiculous to open a game with crazy shit like Mind Flayers and Dragons and phasing spacecraft around level 1 characters and then transition that into a fucking standard island opening filler chapter with gobbos and bog-standard stuff.

It'd be one thing to have the whole spaceship thing as a proof of concept for early access, but then slice it off or put it further on in the game, I don't know. But as it is it just obliterated any possibility of me getting into the game, so to speak. I just think everything's extremely ridiculous, not to mention the aggressively pathetic horny writing.

Larianshill

Arbiter
So... There's a DC30 check to make the final boss of act 2 surrender. I wonder if you can actually beat that (a bard with Guidance probably can), and if he actually surrenders. Somebody report if you did that.

d1r

Single handedly funding SMTVI
Patron
The game is clearly tailored for a very different kind of players and characters.

You have a pretty explosive opening with some urgent, heinous shit going on and then the game slams on the brakes so bad the train derails into a gorge. Everything after the intro is pure, unmitigated filler. Oh dear, some goblins are attacking some tieflings who are also tense with druids--EXCUSE ME I HAVE A WORM EATING MY BRAIN. FUCK OFF.

But if you try to just skip all this stuff you miss out on the levels you need to actually get anywhere. This was something the late Aweigh mentioned re: DivDiv2; Larian's level design is worse than a scaled game, because it forces you to choke down all the content whether you like it or not just to maintain the minimum level to survive.

If you want the player to grind some filler quests to get their levels up before hitting the main story, put the inciting incident AFTER that filler, not before.
It's not worse as Fallout 4's, but pretty much the same shit. If you actually want to RP the game, you have to min/max as hard as possible and almost do no full rests because of that timer/thing in your head. You may learn that your tadpole is different early on, but that personally would not decrease the urgency at all in my case. I don't know the condition of the dream sequence where your guardian tells you that
he/she will protect you from the tadpole in your head
, but that event should have played at the first full rest to actually give you some time for other things, respectively to gear up.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here

It's not worse as Fallout 4's, but pretty much the same shit. If you actually want to RP the game, you have to min/max as hard as possible and almost do no full rests because of that timer/thing in your head. You may learn that your tadpole is different early on, but that personally would not decrease the urgency at all in my case. I don't know the condition of the dream sequence where your guardian tells you that
he/she will protect you from the tadpole in your head
, but that event should have played at the first full rest to actually give you some time for other things, respectively to gear up.

To be fair this is a classic problem in most CRPGs, to have some kind of 'existential end of the world crisis' that only you can fix, and its super duper urgent, but also you need to spend hours wandering around chatting with every random person you meet and doing odd jobs.

I have become resigned to this cognitive dissonance and just do not focus on it in these games.

Its a shame that wandering around adventuring and dungeon crawling is not a good enough reason in and of itself, as I am quite happy with that as my main goal. But you cannot have 'le Epic Fantasy' without a suitably epic storyline I guess.

Kiste

Augur

It's not as bad as Bethesda crap. Remember Oblivion? There are Hellgates appearing next to every town with demons pouring out. Real End of Days shit. Yet, you're sidetracked with 1000 really insipid quests and guild nonsense and busy becoming a gladiator.

In BG3, most of the things you're doing are coincidental to following the main story. Dealing with the Tiefling/Druid situation (or not) is pretty much tied into the looking for a healer plot line (finding Halsin as a potential healer) and that also means dealing with the goblin situation. Same with the hag, she is also presents herself as a potential solution. Other stuff are things you pretty much stumble across. There's a burning inn and you rescue someone from it. Maybe the only real sidetracking is looking for Karlach and then dealing with her situation but that's just killing a bunch of assholes in a house right next to her. It takes a few minutes. I think the only thing that really harms the conceit somewhat is the frequent long rests.

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Hoarder of loli kats./ Funny ^._.^= ∫
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
codex: "this game sucks!"

Nn1OGvO.png

also codex: "the spankbank has been refilled"

Interesting that Shadowheart has the 90s bush and the Tiefling slut has the pre-pubescent baldy that has been all the rage for about 20 years or so now. (It's getting old...) I wonder who decided the shaving decisions of each of these NPCs and why. Although I'm guessing the Tiefling is vitellus' PC so I guess he likes the loli look. And now that has me curious about Gith pussy, does it have little dots around it, is it sideways? This is the how the degeneracy spreads like those Illithid worms! :lol:
Because succubi demons are at the peak of sensual seduction and know they will get a +5% bonus if then have a brazilian wax.

Latro

Arcane
BG3 haters here have been real quiet since release, huh?
You'll hear them only after 300 hours and 3 playthroughs, then only they will tell you how shit it is as tradition demands it here.
When we've completed our 300 hours we will be perfectly qualified to lay out in great detail why the game is irredeemable garbage. It's easy to just watch the trailer and dismiss it as Dragon Age updated for the reddit generation. We're actually in the trenches, putting in the work.

You should be thanking us for our sacrifice on rather than resorting to cheap mockery.
The future of heterosexual rpgs now turns east. God bless Japan!

I'll take Western faggotry over whatever the fuck this is:

10608733.jpg
”I’d suck a bear off to protect the children!!!” - average larian fanboy

Lemming42

Arcane
Ahaha yesss this defend-the-portal battle while Wood Elf Muscleman goes to suck cosmic dick or whatever is absolute gold. Just complete mayhem. Most fun I've had in combat so far.

My limbs flailing in horror as I desperately scan my inventory in the hopes of seeing some "Kill All Enemies" scroll I picked up and forgot about.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom