Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Having been initially very apprehensive I must say that this is a massive step up from DoS2, having a semi-decent system really helps to restrain the Belgian retardation. So far I'm enjoying myself.

Yeah I thought the RNG spam and 5e rules would make me rage-quit, but on the contrary, the restrictiveness of it encourages me to play more mindfully. DOS2 was just pure chaos, but BG3 walks the fine line between game and simulation. Just as a like it.

Perkel

Arcane
I think ton of fun people and me get is simply pure system changes which explain to my why i like so much BG3 combat/gameplay vs Pathfinder/Pillars. It reminds me so much of 2nd edition of DnD which was the most fun i had with DnD.
lvl 5 atm. So far 5e is super fun system to play compared to 3e i hated (I loved 2e)

Then on top of those changes there is Larian design which further enhances that by properly supporting each class and proper RP and giving plenty ways to use situational gameplay.

- Each level feels meaningful and you never have this "if I multiclass in this i lose X for pretty much nothing ?" Good example of this was choosing rogue lvl2 over fighter lvl2. Yes fighter lvl2 gives me extra action but rogue gives me 3 skills dash/stealth/something and movement seems to be more important for my character than just pure damage as bolt in mage head is more important most of the time than even few swings of sword. Each level seems to give something specific and useful.
- casting in armor is logically funneled into whatever you are proficient in armor or not. As long as you are proficient in X armor type you can cast. So if you want to roleplay fighter/mage you can roleplay fighter mage. You lose 1 lvl of mage but you can wear anything you want. Above class levels there are other stuff to choose and depending on how you build your character it can be fighter that only uses 2-3 spells or full combined fighter mage or mage that works more like cleric etc. There is incentive for mages to stay pure and pick other feats than armor as well so it is balance of choice.
- simplicity. You don't need to study your character feats and traits to play and almost nothing is situational from class point. Which means you think more about actual combat and RP than remembering all stupid traits you build around. It reminds me a lot 2nd edition which i loved. It is complex where it matters and simple to play. It cuts bullshit waste.
- flatter number scaling, hp bloat isn't as huge as 3rd edition and combining with Larian environmental and situational combat means lvl 1 character still can win against high level character provided tactics are involved and some big brain thinking. This also means that even cantrips are pretty powerful if used right which further means that losing 2-3 levels of wizard for say fighter or something else isn't as that bad. Going pure has benefits as well but experimentation isn't as bad as it used to be in 3rd edition i hated.
- short/long rest is great mechanic combined with supplies. Short rests are great if you just want some heal between fights while long rest is strategic. Companions also work as replacement. So if someone in your party is tired etc. just swap him for someone else. This means longer plays between rests and reason to swap companions as you play.
- feats are mostly general and powerful instead of being weak and specialized. Gone are the days of 3rd edition one million feats that worked on sundays but not on thursdays. When I first saw on my mage feat list I really struggled to pick something because they all were very beneficial rather than my 3rd edition experience where I mostly picked just general AC or damage as most of feats were too situational.
- there are no dump stats. Due to 5e + Larian design every stat has some use on every character and because damage and hp is much flatter your +2 to damage from strength isn't really that much needed. I play right not DEX+CHA fighter, something i normally wouldn't consider at all in other dnd game like pathfinder. Even WIS+CHA fighter makes sense, solve problems, don't do a lot of damage but you are effectively anti mage fighter add mageslayer feat as well.
- traps,lockpicking seems pretty easy at start but soon you realize that without dedicated "thief" you will quickly run out of tools and those tools cost money if they are available at all.

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Cutting Words was DAH MUDAFUCKING MVP of Grym fight. First challenging fight of the game outside of demon boy on nautiloid. Faithbreaker brought the pain.
I don't think you are intended to actually deal damage to him in any direct way, but happy for you

Oh you can
crush him with the forge? coooool.
Didn't think of that at all. I was just happy something demanded my attention :lol:

Larianshill at least the game recognized my brave stupidity :lol:

6SAbusq.jpg

Gradenmayer

Learned
Barrelmancy is as strong as ever, one shot a boss and his entire squad with 12 gunpowder barrels I carried just for this occasion.

Humans are OP due to carry load increase btw.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
meh I feel like I need to start spamming long rest more, so far Im level 4.5 and I have used full rest twice. probably need to catch up camp events. I got supplies for 14 full rests :roll:

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'd say the writing is easily better and less predictable than Obsidian's and Bioware's
That, and I didn't want to punch more than half of the companions I met in their face during our first conversation. Be it a low bar, it's at least better than (modern) Bioware drivel.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Is Volo supposed to become a merchant? He has the icon but just spams the same line when I talk to him. A merchant in camp would be handy

bataille

Arcane
So what's the consensus on the companions' alignments?

My take on what I've seen so far (9 hours or so):

Lae'zel - lawful evil;

Shadowheart - neutral good;

Astarion - neutral evil? Judging by the introduction, after which I told him to get lost.

Wyll - haven't had him around much, but seems like the classic lawful neutral non-entity?

Karlach - chaotic good.

Haven't met the drow paladin yet, but her being a drow suggests a certain character, heh.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I think ton of fun people and me get is simply pure system changes which explain to my why i like so much BG3 combat/gameplay vs Pathfinder/Pillars. It reminds me so much of 2nd edition of DnD which was the most fun i had with DnD.
lvl 5 atm. So far 5e is super fun system to play compared to 3e i hated (I loved 2e)
I agree and have said so before. 5th edition isn't perfect (multiclassing), but it has far more in common with 2E than 3.xE did. Now, if only The Forgotten Realms hadn't become (even more of) a trash setting...

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Can we finally say Bioware's romances in BG2 ruined story fag RPGs forever?
No, the romance in BG2 was very low key and immersive. It would trigger dialogues at long intervals so you really feel like there was enough time for some companionship to develop. For me it was a nice experience to get them in some wilderness or dungeon, the music changes and we get to know the love interests backstory some more. And it was actually romance.
How people are describing BG3 romance sounds like an orgy at every long rest, everyone trying to jump on your dick or put their dick inside of you. Just a total coomer shitfest. To me there's another bioware game that seems to be a clear predecessor to this crap, and that's Mass Effect.

Jesus, is it really that bad?

Have modern RPG writers ever actually read a novel?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

Then on top of those changes there is Larian design which further enhances that by properly supporting each class and proper RP and giving plenty ways to use situational gameplay.

- Each level feels meaningful and you never have this "if I multiclass in this i lose X for pretty much nothing ?" Good example of this was choosing rogue lvl2 over fighter lvl2. Yes fighter lvl2 gives me extra action but rogue gives me 3 skills dash/stealth/something and movement seems to be more important for my character than just pure damage as bolt in mage head is more important most of the time than even few swings of sword. Each level seems to give something specific and useful.
- casting in armor is logically funneled into whatever you are proficient in armor or not. As long as you are proficient in X armor type you can cast. So if you want to roleplay fighter/mage you can roleplay fighter mage. You lose 1 lvl of mage but you can wear anything you want. Above class levels there are other stuff to choose and depending on how you build your character it can be fighter that only uses 2-3 spells or full combined fighter mage or mage that works more like cleric etc. There is incentive for mages to stay pure and pick other feats than armor as well so it is balance of choice.
- simplicity. You don't need to study your character feats and traits to play and almost nothing is situational from class point. Which means you think more about actual combat and RP than remembering all stupid traits you build around. It reminds me a lot 2nd edition which i loved. It is complex where it matters and simple to play. It cuts bullshit waste.
- flatter number scaling, hp bloat isn't as huge as 3rd edition and combining with Larian environmental and situational combat means lvl 1 character still can win against high level character provided tactics are involved and some big brain thinking. This also means that even cantrips are pretty powerful if used right which further means that losing 2-3 levels of wizard for say fighter or something else isn't as that bad. Going pure has benefits as well but experimentation isn't as bad as it used to be in 3rd edition i hated.
- short/long rest is great mechanic combined with supplies. Short rests are great if you just want some heal between fights while long rest is strategic. Companions also work as replacement. So if someone in your party is tired etc. just swap him for someone else. This means longer plays between rests.
- feats are mostly general and powerful instead of being weak and specialized. Gone are the days of 3rd edition one million feats that worked on sundays but not on thursdays. When I first saw on my mage feat list I really struggled to pick something because they all were very beneficial rather than my 3rd edition experience where I mostly picked just general AC or damage as most of feats were too situational.
- there are no dump stats. Due to 5e + Larian design every stat has some use on every character and because damage and hp is much flatter your +2 to damage from strength isn't really that much needed. I play right not DEX+CHA fighter, something i normally wouldn't consider at all in other dnd game like pathfinder. Even WIS+CHA fighter makes sense, solve problems, don't do a lot of damage but you are effectively anti mage fighter add mageslayer feat as well.
- traps,lockpicking seems pretty easy at start but soon you realize that without dedicated "thief" you will quickly run out of tools and those tools cost money if they are available at all.

I can definitely see why Sawyer hates this game. The system actually sounds fun.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
The game feels more like a fairy tale and not a fantasy. Like you have all the ingredients but it still feels like Fable. Maybe it's because of the way nuFaerun is but it just lacks that proper high fantasy class.
It's THE best coop adventure ever though.

I really do not understand how that works, do you skip the dialogue? I can not imagine having to listen to it or wait for someone else to read it.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
No, the romance in BG2 was very low key and immersive. It would trigger dialogues at long intervals so you really feel like there was enough time for some companionship to develop. For me it was a nice experience to get them in some wilderness or dungeon, the music changes and we get to know the love interests backstory some more. And it was actually romance.
How people are describing BG3 romance sounds like an orgy at every long rest, everyone trying to jump on your dick or put their dick inside of you. Just a total coomer shitfest. To me there's another bioware game that seems to be a clear predecessor to this crap, and that's Mass Effect.

I wonder if the nu-Larian "romances" are just a result of laziness? Biotards (whom i assume are the primary audience for this) seem to be all deranged coomers who only care about making sure every possible sexual perversion is "rapresented", but from a writer's point of view, catering to this crowd just seem to be a way to save time from writing interesting romantic interactions. Unless the writers themselves are retarded Biotards too.

Fucking David Gaydar deserves the rope for starting this shit. Why couldn't he be a prestigious faggot like Tim Cain.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
It's really bizarre. I can't fathom Larian's story/level design theory at all.

You have a pretty explosive opening with some urgent, heinous shit going on and then the game slams on the brakes so bad the train derails into a gorge. Everything after the intro is pure, unmitigated filler. Oh dear, some goblins are attacking some tieflings who are also tense with druids--EXCUSE ME I HAVE A WORM EATING MY BRAIN. FUCK OFF.

This is worse than Fallout 4 "Gotta find my son--ooh shiny!" for 200 hours.
It's not as bad as Bethesda crap. Remember Oblivion? There are Hellgates appearing next to every town with demons pouring out. Real End of Days shit. Yet, you're sidetracked with 1000 really insipid quests and guild nonsense and busy becoming a gladiator.

In BG3, most of the things you're doing are coincidental to following the main story. Dealing with the Tiefling/Druid situation (or not) is pretty much tied into the looking for a healer plot line (finding Halsin as a potential healer) and that also means dealing with the goblin situation. Same with the hag, she is also presents herself as a potential solution. Other stuff are things you pretty much stumble across. There's a burning inn and you rescue someone from it. Maybe the only real sidetracking is looking for Karlach and then dealing with her situation but that's just killing a bunch of assholes in a house right next to her. It takes a few minutes. I think the only thing that really harms the conceit somewhat is the frequent long rests.
Karlach isn't side tracking -- it's tied to Wyll's story. It's actually interesting though, the thing you point out. There's no theme-park-itis like in Bethesda games here: everything that you see and do is somehow related to the main quest in some way, even minor. And Wyll is tied to a metric ton of early content. There's Karlach, but also you meet an important NPC who shines more light into his situation: a certain individual related to Wyll was kidnapped, by a raiding party of drow and goblins, which you later meet when you go rescue Halsin. In fact, they are celebrating the same raid you see. So yeah, in game worldbuilding is excellent here.

Everything being so directly tied to the main quest is just one of many, many design decisions that makes the world feel tiny (ironic for such an absolutely massive game) and video gamey though. I really like the game, but the lack of feeling like you’re exploring a world is easily its biggest issue in my opinion, and there are so many things causing it. Chiefly, the one-map design, of course.
Still better than open world garbage.

I wonder if the nu-Larian "romances" are just a result of laziness? Biotards (whom i assume are the primary audience for this) seem to be all deranged coomers who only care about making sure every possible sexual perversion is "rapresented", but from a writer's point of view, catering to this crowd just seem to be a way to save time from writing interesting romantic interactions. Unless the writers themselves are retarded Biotards too.
Say what you want about Bioware, but characters in DA:O were miles ahead of whatever shit Larian cooked up this time. BG3 feels like playing a DnD campaign at a furry convention. I get that people enjoy the combat but anything else is downright bizzare.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here

Fucking David Gaydar deserves the rope for starting this shit. Why couldn't he be a prestigious faggot like Tim Cain.

Its like writing romance novels for women, the lowest tier of pulpy garbage that exists. But it probably makes bank.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Agenda, to me, means I see what you're saying, but don't really agree.

For 99% of their customers, the game will be fine or too difficult. This isn't some niche strategy RPG like KotC or even ToEE.

How do you find the difficulty though? I haven't had the chance to play enough to form an opinion about it myself yet. I'm just going off what I've read in this thread so far.
Playing on Normal or whatever the middle difficulty is, the game is challenging but not infuriatingly so. I certainly never had to use barrelmancy to win yet. There are so many options and modifiers one might apply to a fight I could probably find a way around anything the game throws at me. That causes the problem of "Should I be here yet?" though.

Something I failed to realize is that a fight doesn't necessarily draw the entire area to you. I was afraid of starting shit in the goblin camp but it's fine as long as you don't go and push enemies too far away.

Dude, a while ago I saw you posting in every thread, telling people to stop buying shit and how they are part of the problem...
I didn't buy the game.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
It's really bizarre. I can't fathom Larian's story/level design theory at all.

You have a pretty explosive opening with some urgent, heinous shit going on and then the game slams on the brakes so bad the train derails into a gorge. Everything after the intro is pure, unmitigated filler. Oh dear, some goblins are attacking some tieflings who are also tense with druids--EXCUSE ME I HAVE A WORM EATING MY BRAIN. FUCK OFF.

This is worse than Fallout 4 "Gotta find my son--ooh shiny!" for 200 hours.
It's not as bad as Bethesda crap. Remember Oblivion? There are Hellgates appearing next to every town with demons pouring out. Real End of Days shit. Yet, you're sidetracked with 1000 really insipid quests and guild nonsense and busy becoming a gladiator.

In BG3, most of the things you're doing are coincidental to following the main story. Dealing with the Tiefling/Druid situation (or not) is pretty much tied into the looking for a healer plot line (finding Halsin as a potential healer) and that also means dealing with the goblin situation. Same with the hag, she is also presents herself as a potential solution. Other stuff are things you pretty much stumble across. There's a burning inn and you rescue someone from it. Maybe the only real sidetracking is looking for Karlach and then dealing with her situation but that's just killing a bunch of assholes in a house right next to her. It takes a few minutes. I think the only thing that really harms the conceit somewhat is the frequent long rests.
This, retards here don't even read it seems. Almost every side quest is related and interwoven with the main quest: finding a cure. + it's also clear at the very beginning it's not a normal tadpole that infected you.

So the "no sense of urgency" critique is pure retardation and bad faith from low IQ haters.

Seriously the game is so good, tards have to resort to nitpicking to find something to hate on.

La vie sexuelle

Learned

- short/long rest is great mechanic combined with supplies. Short rests are great if you just want some heal between fights while long rest is strategic. Companions also work as replacement. So if someone in your party is tired etc. just swap him for someone else. This means longer plays between rests.

You are absolutely right. I was never fond with D&D mechanics, but now I can fully appreciate second edition. Fifth has only gimmicks, dice drops between tiefling role-playing.

A'propos de role-playing, I'm disappointed how Larian changed Shadowheart from evil and malice cleric to accordant visual-novel girl. I because tester are pussies and afraid rejection from a wench?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom