Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
Speaking of the game being better a year down the road, I wanted to roll an arcane trickster but mage hand is completely busted for them and doesn't do any of the special things it's supposed to. So I'll probably wait to play the game again a year or so down the road when they fix their shit, add better content and maybe a tactician +

Shrimp

Arbiter
I hope they do actually spend some time revamping it and don't just leave it in its current state.
Anyone know how much the DOS games changed from release to their "enhanced editions"? All my experience there is super late.

At the very least I'd be surprised if this didn't get an expansion or two, which if nothing else is internally a great excuse to rework the ending to a game for purely practical reasons. Though I'd like to think that given so much of the game feels like a labour of love, that they leave the problems with the ending as-is by choice.
D:OS1 changed a fair bit, it added full VA, more consumables and equipment like wands and dual wielding, redid about 20ish percent of the game's main story (mostly towards the end) to make it more slightly more coherent, added the Tactician difficulty mode which in that game added a bunch of additional enemies and buffs to bosses. It also added a couple of non-gameplay features like controller support and split screen.
That being said I don't think this is a fair benchmark since Larian were still figuring out what sort of template they wanted to use for their game and most of these features ended up being included in D:OS2 and BG3 by default.

I never played the enhanced edition of D:OS2 but to my knowledge it only added a handful of additional items, optional minibosses, a retarded squirrel that follows you around throughout the entire game and, like in D:OS1, changed a couple of things towards the ending of the game to (allegedly) make for a more coherent story.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Anyone know how much the DOS games changed from release to their "enhanced editions"? All my experience there is super late.

The enhanced edition of OS1 changed quite a few things and added a new companion.

I've no idea in regards to OS2 what they changed with the definitive edition.

Edit: Shrimp beat me to it with a more detailed response.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
image.php

image.php

9846d1a69b5524b8b88d64011772b48469bf36f5.jpg

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1086940/view/6199820457241938859

Last edited:

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
You can tell that people who picked Rogue were wowtards or just don't know anything.

Imagine picking a skill monkey with 1 APR when you can have a skill monkey with 2 APR and full caster levels.

Not surprised to see CHA based characters dominate.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
In light of this uptick in elf love, should probably revive the female elf appreciation thread.

Elite_Beat_Eldar_Divas_by_IronShrineMaiden.jpg

Half elves gotta come from somewhere after all.

tenor.gif

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Lmao, so while moving around is easier with a controller just because of how shitty the camera is, interacting with anything sucks huge dick. You can accidentally click on things you don't want to, like stealing shit from crates by mistake while trying to talk to an npc, and the name of objects appear in giant letters for no reason. Also, you don't get to see the icons so you have no idea what you are clicking is an interactable object (not liable to be considered stealing) or a crate of some form or another.

Starting to get irritated by this overall shit design modern gaymes.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Lmao, so while moving around is easier with a controller just because of how shitty the camera is, interacting with anything suck huge dick. You can accidentally click on things you don't want to, like stealing shit from crates by mistake while trying to talk to an npc, and the name of objects appear in giant letters for no reason. Also, you don't get to see the icons so you have no idea what you are clicking is an interactable object (not liable to be considered stealing) or a crate of some form or another.

Right-click > Examine.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Or maybe they've been forced to learn from the error of their ways. Have you?

Read again - that's exactly what they tried, they just executed poorly on the concept.
No, the people who wrote the original Jaheira thought stronk wimmen like that were not only good but that other women who didn't emulate that model were flawed. That was the error as they've subsequently figured out(?)

Just saying maybe they were unusually explicit about that as a sort of mea culpa, especially seeing as how Owlcat's send-ups of it in P:K went right over people's heads.

bataille

Arcane
The Monastery resembled something our GM would make so much it was uncanny. Absolutely precious. The grid map that looks like a pnp printout adds to this weird feeling of familiarity. :eek:

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Charisma classes are most played for the main character, who could've predicted?
Being able to solve things with words is just an obviously interesting way to play (and like the super baseline hurdle for whether an RPG has meaningful options, so probably feels like an obvious route to take in character creation for anyone that doesn't simply want to smash everything in sight).

(Not really replying to you, so much as agreeing.)

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
Alright the scene where your mindflayer tries to fuck you made me seriously uncomfortable. It's one thing for Gale to constantly try to molest me and for Wyll to act like the standard "Guy who falls in love if you're remotely nice to him," but having to see that guys purple veiny rotting naked body while he tries to gatekeep gaslight girlboss me into fucking him was fucking disgusting. I told him I didn't want to fuck him and he started shouting that I'm his slave. Probably the most rapey scene I've ever encountered in a video game.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Charisma classes are most played for the main character, who could've predicted?
Being able to solve things with words is just an obviously interesting way to play (and like the super baseline hurdle for whether an RPG has meaningful options, so probably feels like an obvious route to take in character creation for anyone that doesn't simply want to smash everything in sight).

(Not really replying to you, so much as agreeing.)
Also some classes have other reasons:
  • Warlock is a selfish class, why would you have a warlock companion? Warlock is basically a MC class only.
  • Paladin is a leader class. Because of behavioral restrictions, the rest of the party acts around them. MC class.
  • Sorcerer is the most powerful, especially in bursts, class. You don't want the most powerful character to be someone else, which is why Sorcerer is more of a MC class.
Of the charisma classes, only Bard is more suitable for a companion than a main character. And in a horny game, the trope of the bard fucking everyone pushes even that class to MC status. I'm playing a bard.

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
I've put about 12 hours into the game so far. I'm not impressed.
First village you visit has a plot where you need to get racist druids to accept illegal immigrants. WTF.

That's fake. You don't "need to". You can side with the racist druids. You can make them kill all Tieflings.
Or do it yourself, if you want that moral high ground stance that's so much lacking in modern video games.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I've put about 12 hours into the game so far. I'm not impressed.
First village you visit has a plot where you need to get racist druids to accept illegal immigrants. WTF.
12 hours and you haven't even realized what the first crossroads of the story is? Must've dumped INT at character creation.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Lmao, so while moving around is easier with a controller just because of how shitty the camera is, interacting with anything suck huge dick. You can accidentally click on things you don't want to, like stealing shit from crates by mistake while trying to talk to an npc, and the name of objects appear in giant letters for no reason. Also, you don't get to see the icons so you have no idea what you are clicking is an interactable object (not liable to be considered stealing) or a crate of some form or another.

Right-click > Examine.

Not what i'm talking about.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom