Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Jinn

Arcane
Sorry for the off topic post, but the Geneforge remake is great and actually an improvement on the original in most ways. Vogel did good by us with that one. Hope the others will follow the trend.

Vatnik Wumao
Story of a dumb gnome, a tragic tale in three chapters.
The thing that sucks is that even if you do that and pick up the barrel, it removes the item from your inventory.

If you don't pick it up, or talk her down, she will run away faster than you can kill her.
:smug:
K7lCNK4.jpg

Admittedly it took quite a few tries, but I wanted to check if it was possible.

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
The thing that sucks is that even if you do that and pick up the barrel, it removes the item from your inventory.

If you don't pick it up, or talk her down, she will run away faster than you can kill her.
K7lCNK4.jpg

Cool sure. But what about the cause?!?

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Arcanum for example, has by far better reactivity than BG3, it's less linear, and even the gimmicks like speaking to the dead is implemented much better in it and far more useful - in being a game that makes you feel it reacts to your character and choices, it's still not even close to being surpassed, after all these years.
What Arcanum does better is thematic depth. The world building and the plot and even side quests are all build around a strong core concept that empowers them together and creates something bigger that makes it easy to overlook the game's considerable flaws. Though there are few games of that caliber. Deus Ex, Planescape Torment and then it gets thin.

I agree with the sentiment that this is Dragon Age Origin tier level, it is overall a solid game with good presentation, everything works well, but it simply lacks that quality of above mentioned games, where the sum total is greater than the parts (even if the parts can be janky). I have replayed Arcanum and Fallout many times but I doubt I will ever replay BG3, in fact I do not know if I will even bother to keep playing to the ending.

The more I have played it the more I get the stench of corporate board room design, the overtly woke, diversity, reddit style companions, the Bethesduh style theme park 'open world' design. The main highlight for me has been exploration and area design, but moving into Act 2 it feels like it is getting much more linear so my interest is waning.

And it does not help that I dislike D&D system in a CRPG, I always have regardless of which version has been used, it is a shitty system, probably good for TT but not for vidya games. So I never really liked original BGs that much anyway, not that there is much point comparing them with this game, we live in a completely different world now to when they were released.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
It's basically true that 99.999% of mod campaigns are "autistic drivel."
The thing about mods is that only an autist has the time, focus and drive to come even close to finishing one, let alone maintaining it.

I've made two or three mods in my time, and I only sort of maintain one. And none of them have been more complex than editing a few lines of code.

My Stellaris mod made headlines around the world, but the truth is, if they'd just left it alone instead of banning it, I probably would have forgotten about it and no one would have heard of it anyway.

So, nearly every significant mod will suffer to some degree from the author's autism, because the author has autism, almost every time.

For example, The Witcher 3's "Enhanced Edition" mod is fantastic and makes the game non-linear, but the author had some dumbass idea that Quen would electrocute the user if he even touched water - which makes no sense, since if it behaved like normal electricity, it would dissipate into the ground while on dry land. So he wrote a script into the mod to kill the player whenever he even touches a puddle. "killplayerforlulz" I think it's called. I know because I edited it out by hand. And despite being able to customize almost everything else, this is the one thing you can't edit, and he repeatedly refused to change it.

And then there's our own Drog Blacktooth and his constant meltdowns, despite being probably the only great Arcanum modder/patcher. And he wasn't even the most autistic. If anyone ever played the "car mod" for Arcanum, they'll know what I'm talking about.

So, the next time someone says "mods will fix it", keep in mind that what they're really saying is "hopefully some autistic lunatic will waste his time fixing the thing I paid these other lazy trannies for".

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I don't think you can consciously create great games like the ones I mentioned, it's a mix of right time, right place and right people with a lot of luck. You can consciously create good games like BG3 though and we have seen far too few of that caliber in recent years. So I'm quite happy with what we got

Self-Ejected
So i got somebody attention in the camp that wanted me to tempt me.
SPOILER_Screenshot_2023-08-17_124522.png
Of course i refused as i have a good character but for curiosity i looked the outcome if i would had accepted.

Glad i didin't!

Vatnik Wumao

K7lCNK4.jpg

Our cause))

T1HuiRz.jpg

:obviously:
Unlike savage gn*mes,
iiPKFJa.jpg

Eisenheinrich

Scholar

K7lCNK4.jpg

Our cause))

T1HuiRz.jpg

:obviously:
Unlike savage gn*mes,
iiPKFJa.jpg

hahaha, great stuff.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
It's basically true that 99.999% of mod campaigns are "autistic drivel."
The thing about mods is that only an autist has the time, focus and drive to come even close to finishing one, let alone maintaining it.

I've made two or three mods in my time, and I only sort of maintain one. And none of them have been more complex than editing a few lines of code.

My Stellaris mod made headlines around the world, but the truth is, if they'd just left it alone instead of banning it, I probably would have forgotten about it and no one would have heard of it anyway.

So, nearly every significant mod will suffer to some degree from the author's autism, because the author has autism, almost every time.

For example, The Witcher 3's "Enhanced Edition" mod is fantastic and makes the game non-linear, but the author had some dumbass idea that Quen would electrocute the user if he even touched water - which makes no sense, since if it behaved like normal electricity, it would dissipate into the ground while on dry land. So he wrote a script into the mod to kill the player whenever he even touches a puddle. "killplayerforlulz" I think it's called. I know because I edited it out by hand. And despite being able to customize almost everything else, this is the one thing you can't edit, and he repeatedly refused to change it.

And then there's our own Drog Blacktooth and his constant meltdowns, despite being probably the only great Arcanum modder/patcher. And he wasn't even the most autistic. If anyone ever played the "car mod" for Arcanum, they'll know what I'm talking about.

So, the next time someone says "mods will fix it", keep in mind that what they're really saying is "hopefully some autistic lunatic will waste his time fixing the thing I paid these other lazy trannies for".
Oh yeah of course, 100% are autistic, just that 0.001% aren't drivel

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
My favorite piece in the game. Like that character overall. He should have been the main villain.
Raph is too much of a mustache twirler to be a good main villain. He doesn't actually cause the player any obvious harm for most of the game. He's just evil and has selfish ambitions in the long-term.
Sure, but they would have to make the worm much more dangerous, so you would actually consider taking his deal. If you now must include the mind worms. I would just focus on the devil aspect, and with that theme, Rafael could have been anything since you can't trust anyone from hell.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Sure, but they would have to make the worm much more dangerous, so you would actually consider taking his deal. If you now must include the mind worms. I would just focus on the devil aspect, and with that theme, Rafael could have been anything since you can't trust anyone from hell.
Raph was just a salesman, no matter how dangerous the worm is made to seem. And it's hard to sell him as particularly bad when characters like Wyll and Mizora, or warlocks in general, exist.

IMO, the villain (and the dream companion) should have been the worm. The worm should have spent the whole game trying to deceive the player, showing the player hallucinations etc., responding to any romantic overtures, and generally trying to convince the player that it's an ally, not an enemy. In the end, the worm should draw the player into a deep delusion, where it looks like a happy ending, and the dream companion becomes real, but the final scene of the game should be the player transforming into a mindflayer.

The Emperor (again, really I think should have been The Adversary) is kind of similar to this, but the contrived backstory robs him of any weight as a villain, or whatever he's supposed to be, since he's essentially just some random who got tadpoled just like you did.

I'm not sure who the main villain should be, but someone more satisfying than Thorm or the others would have been nice. Thorm himself was main villain material, since he's the only one that fits the archetype. But he's gone by Act 3.

Maybe a group of Alhoons, or some kind of Elder Brain lich. Has to have some sort of arcane magic knowledge to know some previously unheard of way to suspend ceremorphosis.

Also, the whole Orpheus idea seemed pretty lame to me.

Last edited:

Steezus

Savant
Patron
Endgame spoilaz

I just killed
Orin
in my good Dark Urge playthrough. Don't know how to feel about it honestly.

During act 3 Dark Urge really felt like the proper protagonist, with all his connections to Gortash, Orin and the entire plot, but now I killed Orin (still need to deal with Gortash), Bhaal got angry with me, robbed me of my essence and killed me in the process. Then fucking Whiters came out of nowhere, resurrected me and told me I'm finally free. That's it? I feel like they dropped the ending with that particular story line.

Self-Ejected
Endgame spoilaz

I just killed
Orin

During act 3 Dark Urge really felt like the proper protagonist, with all his connections to Gortash, Orin and the entire plot, but now I killed Orin (still need to deal with Gortash), Bhaal got angry with me, robbed me of my essence and killed me in the process. Then fucking Whiters came out of nowhere, resurrected me and told me I'm finally free. That's it? I feel like they dropped the ending with that particular story line.
Whiters has his own agenda but the game will never tell that ask yourself who he really is and everything will make sense.
(Hints are scattered all over)

Whiters was Jergal but today he acts like an obserber or arbiter

Bhaal killed you thats a nono Gods are not allowed to interfere with mortals directly.

Therefore whiters was like "You cannot do that Bhaal" and broughtyou back to life.

This is why Myrkul concede the avatar to the villain of act2 but don't shows up directly

Last edited:
I'm liking the fight at the Moonrise prison. It's probably the first time where I actually feel like I'm facing a challenge.

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
Endgame spoilaz

I just killed
Orin

Whiters has his own agenda but the game will never tell that ask yourself who he really is and everything will make sense.
(Hints are scattered all over)

Whiters was Jergal but today he acts like an obserber or arbiter

Bhall killed you thats a nono Gods are not allowed to interfere with mortals directly.

Therefore whiters was like "You cannot do that Bhall" and broughtyou back to life.

This is why Myrkul concede the avatar to the villain of act2 but don't shows up directly

Makes sense, the statues in the crypt are all related to the god of death and the banners you see in the ruins show this symbol:

Jergal.png

Which is the symbol of Jergal.

Also the symbol of the Absolute is nothing else but the crest of Myrkul. Lorefags win again.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom