Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 - tips, tricks & helpful information

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I actually loved the durge va and intro. Seems that by default he is a redemption arc character.

I suppose they looked at playdata and feedback and reached the(obvious) conclusion that most people want to play this origin this way.

Yeah Dark Urge looked and sounded like the most interesting Origin out of all of them. The rumor that this was supposed to be the main character checks out.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
fb6kra3idxfb1.png

shield spell looking... pretty good :shredder: (no mention about single time)

Are the reactions handled well in BG3? 5Es reliance of reactions makes it conceptually unwieldy as a video game. Particularly with the player controlling a whole party, the amount of prompts for reactions has to be aggravating. I'm imagining MS Word paperclip, but D&D.

"You're about to be struck. Would you like to use your reaction to cast Shield?"
001.jpg

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Are the reactions handled well in BG3? 5Es reliance of reactions makes it conceptually unwieldy as a video game.

It is mostly handled like Solasta, which is excellent (works just like in 5E, in terms of interface, you just get a little prompt). A few notable differences however, such as Feather Fall, which is a shame.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
whc7kl984xfb1.png

war caster nerfed

5e
You have practiced casting spells in the midst of combat, learning techniques that grant you the following benefits:
  • You have advantage on Constitution saving throws that you make to maintain your concentration on a spell when you take damage.
  • You can perform the somatic components of spells even when you have weapons or a shield in one or both hands.
  • When a hostile creature's movement provokes an opportunity attack from you, you can use your reaction to cast a spell at the creature, rather than making an opportunity attack. The spell must have a casting time of 1 action and must target only that creature.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
whc7kl984xfb1.png

war caster nerfed

5e
You have practiced casting spells in the midst of combat, learning techniques that grant you the following benefits:
  • You have advantage on Constitution saving throws that you make to maintain your concentration on a spell when you take damage.
  • You can perform the somatic components of spells even when you have weapons or a shield in one or both hands.
  • When a hostile creature's movement provokes an opportunity attack from you, you can use your reaction to cast a spell at the creature, rather than making an opportunity attack. The spell must have a casting time of 1 action and must target only that creature.

The somatic component thing isn't a nerf so much as everyone just has it now (which makes the feat more superflous, of course). The reaction-thing is.

However in Solasta, the advantage to Concentration was downright amazing, so honestly the feat might still be worth it. Especially if enemies target fire your concentrators on Tactician.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
you really can't read twice in a row :? shocking grasp vs 1 action time spell

Barbarian

Arcane
fb6kra3idxfb1.png

This actually singlehandedly makes Magic Initiate a great feat for most classes.

After casting it you can use it as a reaction infinite times until long rest, is that it? I mean there is probably a once per round limitation but that is still massive.

Salvo

Arcane
fb6kra3idxfb1.png

What the absolute fuck, does it really work until you Long Rest?
If it does the spell is absolutely broken, this is like giving permanent disadvantage to every enemy trying to attack the caster.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
You guys do realize the effect disappears after you've used it right?

Juuuuust checking

(still a vast buff of an already good spell)

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
you really can't read twice in a row :? shocking grasp vs 1 action time spell

This time it's you that can't read ;)

Grunker said:
The reaction-thing is.

^ Reference to the reaction-nerf (only being able to use Shocking).

Although reddit seems to think this may only be for the monk specifically (screenshot is from a monk). I doubt it, but we'll see.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
any1 figured out yet did haste get changed / multiclassing spell progression? would need level 3 I guess to confirm

culliford

Novice
Hmm so should I disable karmic dice? I want the biggest challenge, but read something that the dice is used by enemies too and therefore enabling it might make the game more challenging. :philosoraptor:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Hmm so should I disable karmic dice? I want the biggest challenge, but read something that the dice is used by enemies too and therefore enabling it might make the game more challenging. :philosoraptor:

Karmic dice helps enemies more than you.

But it's still gay and should be turned off.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
there was mention that in EA karmic dice was bugged so now hard to say yet is it more beneficial for you or enemies
but it is indeed gay

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Why the hell would you want weighted dice? Just burn your computer in lieu of any dice to burn.

Don't mess with tradition.

Barbarian

Arcane
You guys do realize the effect disappears after you've used it right?

Juuuuust checking

(still a vast buff of an already good spell)
So it is confirmed you can only use it as a reaction once? Then you need to cast it again( if spell slot available)

Barbarian

Arcane
Larian still hasn't fixed overlapping skill proficiencies :negative:

Care to provide details on what this is? Just curious. Won't play until september.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom