Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 - tips, tricks & helpful information

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Larian still hasn't fixed overlapping skill proficiencies :negative:

Care to provide details on what this is? Just curious. Won't play until september.

If you pick two sources of the same skill, you don't get to pick another skill, it's just wasted. For example, Dark Urge background gives me Intimidation and so does College of Lore Bard. That's just a wasted proficiency.

Last edited:

Barbarian

Arcane
"Saves" to resist the dark urge are all over the place, ITT. Several and varied stat checks. There is no actual way to make a build around it, you will fail some times.

Nice touch I guess, though it might motivate save scumming.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
"Saves" to resist the dark urge are all over the place, ITT. Several and varied stat checks. There is no actual way to make a build around it, you will fail some times.

I'm playing Dark Urge and I haven't met a single save yet. All I've seen is opportunities to get inspiration from dialogue options

Barbarian

Arcane

I'm playing Dark Urge and I haven't met a single save yet. All I've seen is opportunities to get inspiration from dialogue options

I have seem that scene where he:

Mutilates Gale's hand. The save to resist and pull him through the portal it is a strenght check. There was another which was dexterity.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Mutilates Gale's hand. The save to resist and pull him through the portal it is a strenght check. There was another which was dexterity.

I never got that. I fixed the portal with some magic.

Barbarian

Arcane

I never got that. I fixed the portal with some magic.

The scene I have seen also had a class option(druid) to fix the portal and pull Gale to safety instead of having fantasies of ripping off his hand. Guess some class or skill options will come into play when avoiding durge violence as well.

Barbarian

Arcane
The strenght option was very clear worded though:

It literally said "resist the urge and pull him to safety" or something like that

Tao

Savant
i have no clue about 5e or BG3 mechanics. Is there a point in piking custom origin vs the wizard origin for example? Wizard or warlock? Idk yet what to play.

Barbarian

Arcane
Grunker

Have you gotten to the part where durge kills alfira? Really no way to avoid it? Doesn't sending her away spares her or something?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
fb6kra3idxfb1.png

shield spell looking... pretty good :shredder: (no mention about single time)

Yes, Shield is omegagood. Just wait 'till you see Counterspell ;)
I have rule of not allowing counterspell, and it works better.

culliford

Novice
i have no clue about 5e or BG3 mechanics. Is there a point in piking custom origin vs the wizard origin for example? Wizard or warlock? Idk yet what to play.
You can re-spec during the campaign, so don't worry too much. Just choose whatever character you feel like.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Grunker

Have you gotten to the part where durge kills alfira? Really no way to avoid it? Doesn't sending her away spares her or something?

Have you encountered many situations where the dark urge unavoidably kills npc's?

The backstory sounds cool and theres a lot of roleplay to the origin, but having it kill camp followers and other npc's sucks if you trying not to play it as a murderhobo.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Grunker

Have you encountered many situations where the dark urge unavoidably kills npc's?

The backstory sounds cool and theres a lot of roleplay to the origin, but having it kill camp followers and other npc's sucks if you trying not to play it as a murderhobo.
Also stretches character credibility in a party based game. You'd think the rest of the party would decide it's time to put down the main character if he's randomly murdering people and harming party members.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I just got inspiration from resisting the urge, so it seems Larian did go with a multipronged approach for the urge.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Grunker

Also stretches character credibility in a party based game. You'd think the rest of the party would decide it's time to put down the main character if he's randomly murdering people and harming party members.

Im rerolling, Sven was right, the dark urge origin is not made for a first playthrough and will have a greater impact after playing a custom character as you can see how much it can change the story and interactions with characters like the Thiefling bard.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
the dark urge origin is not made for a first playthrough and will have a greater impact after playing a custom character as you can see how much it can change the story and interactions with characters like the Thiefling bard.

I concur. IMHO Dark Urge is something like Malkavian from VtM:Bloodlines. It'll go better after a normal playthrough.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
oh no murderhobo is murdering people
rip mr squirrel not even option to resist :-D

kinda stupid that swapping weapon does not require bonus action or something, can always swap to shield if using ranged weapon. At least no 2 melee weapon sets so cant swap 2h to 1h+shield

also you can travel longer distance with jumping than just moving which is pretty braindead

Barbarian

Arcane
I will certainly play it. I like how it seems extra hard roleplay and can't avoid bad things happening. Anti-meta.

Also:

he is confirmed bhaalspawn. As is Orin. No further details yet. Weren't they all dead? Has Bhaal been fucking around again? If so why?

If you don't particularly like any of the premade characters' little speeches about why they're clearly the best character, make a custom one and you'll meet them as NPCs anyway.

Barbarian

Arcane
Have they fixed cross-save functionality? I'm thinking of starting this on my (old but still minimum requirements) PC and then porting the save to the PS5. There are many comments about crashes and slowdowns associated with activating cross save functionality.

:popamole:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom