Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 - tips, tricks & helpful information

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Warcaster only works Shocking Grasp no matter your class confirmed.

Also, yes: the documentation is absolutely horrid. There's not even a way to see your class progression, lol. How did they fuck up such a basic thing.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Some notable feats from my current level up pondering:

Polearm Master + Sentinel seems to be implemented properly, so that's fun (and strong).

Lucky is just as good as in 5E, so should not be overlooked.

War Caster seems very bad. Concentration is a saving throw, meaning you have two choices: War Caster, which gives you advantage on Concentration saves + ability to use Shocking Grasp for AoOs OR you could take Resilient for +1 CON and proficiency on ALL Constitution saving throws, *including* Concentration. Is advantage better than proficiency? Yes, but not by enough. Unless you take both feats, I'd go with Resilient every time.

For all Larian's houseruling and using the most updated 5E rule changes, it's odd that they went with the standard Great Weapon Master and Sharpshooter feats, rather than do the +Prof mod and -Prof mod houserule which most tables seem to prefer.

Very limited amount of feats implemented means a lack of +1 attribute feats - notably for mental stats. Resilient is a notable exception, but the problem with that is you'll never take it for your main stat, since you'll already have that save proficiency. So really, unless there are +1 tomes in the game (which is very likely), no caster should have odd numbered caster stats on character creation.

Last edited:

Barbarian

Arcane

Polearm Master + Sentinel seems to be implemented properly, so that's fun (and strong).

Warcaster is an absolutely horrid, useless feat. Concentration is a saving throw, meaning you have two choices: War Caster, which gives you advantage on Con saves + ability to use Shocking Grasp for AoOs OR you could take Resilient for +1 CON and advantage on ALL Constitution saving throws, *including* Concentration. No fucking contest, really.

For all Larian's houseruling and using the most updated 5E rule changes, it's odd that they went with the standard Great Weapon Master and Sharpshooter feats, rather than do the +Prof mod and -Prof mod houserule which most tables seem to prefer.

Very limited amount of feats implemented means a lack of +1 attribute feats - notably for mental stats. Resilient is a notable exception, but the problem with that is you'll never take it for your main stat, since you'll already have that save proficiency. So really, unless there are +1 tomes in the game (which is very likely), no caster should have odd numbered caster stats on character creation.

Have you found any perma 1+ buffs yet?

besides the hag hair that was already in the ea

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Warcaster is an absolutely horrid, useless feat. Concentration is a saving throw, meaning you have two choices: War Caster, which gives you advantage on Con saves + ability to use Shocking Grasp for AoOs OR you could take Resilient for +1 CON and advantage on ALL Constitution saving throws, *including* Concentration. No fucking contest, really.

No, that's why I said "very likely" not "is in" ;)

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Soooooo, I just tried out Karlach in battle, and you can decide to Reckless Attack after seeing your attack roll, turning one of the best classes in the game even more busted. Why did they do that O_o

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Spiritual Weapon does not cost a bonus action to activate - only to cast, making one of the best Cleric spells massively better.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
For those wondering about respec messing with inherent bonuses

Auntie Ethel's Hair tested. Still present after respec. Just in case anyone was worried.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Should I ditch my quarterstaff as a monk?

I think I remember reading Larian changing flurry and monk abilities so they worked with any weapon the monk was proficient with, but you'll prolly have to do some googling to confirm.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I think I remember reading Larian changing flurry and monk abilities so they worked with any weapon the monk was proficient with, but you'll prolly have to do some googling to confirm.
I have been able to do flurry attacks while having the QS equipped, but I'll have a look at how damage gets calculated.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron

I have been able to do flurry attacks while having the QS equipped, but I'll have a look at how damage gets calculated.
I feel like monk is the weakest class in the game. but go with the equipment what makes sense to you.

Endure. In enduring, grow strong.

(ps profience thing is bs only monk weapons)

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
You do more damage with a staff on, for the early levels, I would think. Until the damage on your fists starts to either be equal or higher to the 1d8 on staffs. That being said everything that works with fists, works with staff, and vice-versa, as far as normal attacks go.

I need to go and check if Open-Hand special attacks work with staffs, when I get home. Or you can check that yourself...

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
Best subclass for paladin?
vengeance spells are easily the best ones imo but all subclasses are pretty good

also pretty significant pala change compared to 5e unless picture only shows current cha bonus

hI5tOa6.png

vs 5e

Aura of Protection​

Starting at 6th level, whenever you or a friendly creature within 10 feet of you must make a saving throw, the creature gains a bonus to the saving throw equal to your Charisma modifier (with a minimum bonus of +1). You must be conscious to grant this bonus.

At 18th level, the range of this aura increases to 30 feet.

Last edited:

Vasya

Novice
That being said everything that works with fists, works with staff, and vice-versa, as far as normal attacks go.
Tavern brawler is probably the main reason to go with fists instead of monk weapon.

jackofshadows

Magister
For some reason I cannot upcast chromatic orb, the fuck? Thunder one also doesn't work with the wet condition, all in all seems bugged.

They changed conditions for guaranteed crits: sleep is working as before (always although it's now far less useful on tactician due to slightly bloated hp pools) but tasha seems only gives you advantage on both spells and wep attacks making it quite weak spell suddenly. Hold person gives crit for wep attacks but not for spells, correct me if I'm wrong, cba to do proper testing.

Yosharian

Arcane

Volos Eye?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom