Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 - tips, tricks & helpful information

Barbarian

Arcane
Lol, this is actually quite awesome. Apparently:

There is a very obscure way to not kill Alfira as the dark urge - and she is replaced by some random dragonborn bard.

Puts a smile on my face because if this is actually in the game then the devs really considered the reality of random autists trying everything to exploit the game's mechanics to get different outcomes. Sadly this isn't implemented elsewhere in many situations(i.e: knocking out Minthara instead of killing her the game treats her as if she is dead).

jackofshadows

Magister
Did you guys clear the zent trade outpost or agree to take the package to baldurs gate?
I did agree but I only now am entering BG so will se where it goes. I checked the content of it and reloaded by the way, was quite interesting but I rather will just deliver it.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
So let's talk spells.
What are the ones you found the most useful?
- Feather Fall is great in many places for exploration. Doesn't matter in combat though.
- Spiritual Weapon is very useful all around
- Guidance, obviously
- Spirit Guardian or whatever it's called, the one that creates an aura around the caster. Irresistible damage just from moving around!
- Haste, obviously, but you have potions for that anyway
- Mage Hand for trap disabling shenanigans
- Minor Illusion to set up clumps of enemies
- Fireball because Fireball

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
hold person/monster are insanely good but haste is the best one. spirit guardian/weapon is very good too

Last edited:

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Learned
Haste is probably the biggest force multiplier, with how strong martial classes are, but I'll stand by Bless, especially one buffed with Mystra's Blessing.

jackofshadows

Magister
Twinned haste/heightened hold person are my best friends so far. SH been holding "persons" often, as well. Bless is up in any somewhat hard fight.

Summons are useful as always. Spirit guardians is very nice but for clearing trash basically any other aoe suits too. Dominate person is also great, obviously. Fear is a good control spell.

Chromatic orb been useful too for mobs with resistances/immunities.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Cloud and Darkness spells are good but less usable in large, open space. Really nice to disturb casters and ranged enemies.
Cold spells are the new Grease spell. Even basic cantrip create small slowing zones with a chance for slipping enemies.
Command is basic but it works like a charm.
Mage hand is useful for throwing stuff, like grenades or javelins.
Ward your fighter than cast Sanctuary with your cleric to mitigate any damage. Though if you Ward an already 20-21 AC frontliner, you don't need to.

- Feather Fall is great in many places for exploration. Doesn't matter in combat though.

There are lots of fights in Underdark that enemies try to push you down, Feather Fall is great in those kind of situations.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
its annoying that checks are not handled like in solasta - make sure you talk with right character, your burly barbarian want step in to intimidate.

What are the ones you found the most useful?
shield of faith, can be cast as free action too
misty step, teleport, also free action

- Guidance, obviously
that lvl2 spell which gives advantage on checks is even better

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Well, gents, after 40 hrs 15 mins I'm 28 XP away from lvl 6 now. I went to the monastery, solved its puzzle, got the shiny reward, and visited the Creche of course. The content I've seen so far would have been enough to be a separate game on its own, but I know the bigger part of the game is still before me. Needless to say, I loved the monastery.

I met with Elminster, while having Gale in the party. I have to say I liked this particular Gandalf impression.

Grunker is right, if you go to both the monastery and the underdark, it's hard not to be lvl 7 by the time you are done with both. But I don't think there are story reasons that oblige you. It seems to me as if these two areas should have been mutuall exclusive, and the player has to decide which way to take, which upsets one companion and inspires the other.

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
ITT "tactician" should have been normal mode. Can't imagine the popamole that lower difficulties must be.
I'm in a Discord server with a couple of people I know from outside the RPG gaming sphere and one of them had bought the game because he had seen and heard everyone talk about it. He ended up uninstalling and refunding about two hours in because he apparently got absolutely bodied by the fight with three looters/bandits in some abandoned ruins at the start of act 1 a short distance from where you recruit Gale.
I spoke with a different guy who was talking about the Balthazar fight being an uphill battle for him, but after we'd been chatting back and forth for a bit it turned out he had no idea about his cleric's Turn Undead ability, nor did it seem like he truly understood the power of roll modifying spells like Bless; he was just using his cleric as a Cure Wounds field medic.

Don't underestimate just how much of a difference simply having rudimentary knowledge of the systems makes.
People like most of the posters on this site will probably be able to stroll through most of the game, but for the uninitiated simply learning the game and its underlying systems is already a struggle in itself.
Now remember these types of people are the ones games are made for
:negative:

Shame. But honestly, I had the same problems playing BG when I was just a mere adolescent. Especially coming from Diablo 2 jumping straight into BG. I had no clue what was happening. But I struggled through. These kids today have now staying power.
If 1 out of 10 of those newbies, going by the current player count, will stay in it to master the game and stick around, that would be an incline.

Mojobeard

Augur
I've somehow had terrible luck with save or suck spells. How do you even boost them in 5e?

Yosharian

Arcane
Grunker AwesomeButton could I bother either of you fine gentlemen for a favour? I need a savegame taken somewhere in a wilderness area where there is an animal or two that I can get into a fight with. Somewhere where I'm not liable to bump into an NPC. Need to test some things

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Grunker AwesomeButton could I bother either of you fine gentlemen for a favour? I need a savegame taken somewhere in a wilderness area where there is an animal or two that I can get into a fight with. Somewhere where I'm not liable to bump into an NPC. Need to test some things
You are in luck, I didn't attack the Owlbear when I was lvl 3. I'll quickly teleport to check up on it. Also a chance to show off my meticulously organized inventory. :)

Yosharian

Arcane
You are in luck, I didn't attack the Owlbear when I was lvl 3. I'll quickly teleport to check up on it. Also a chance to show off my meticulously organized inventory. :)
Thanks bro I really appreciate it

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
its annoying that checks are not handled like in solasta - make sure you talk with right character, your burly barbarian want step in to intimidate.
expanding on this, isnt it kind of important for PC to be sweet talker and not a thief? It slightly annoys me.

Also karlach racial to get advantage on intimidate is kind of good... now Im considering her to be my bard

_V_

Liturgist
So, if you weren't aware (like me), Monks can wear amor and still use all their monk stuff (if they are proficient with the armor), apart from the unarmored movement increase.
Way of the open hand gets great stuff at lvl 6. After that, most is meh. Monks don't get a third feat on lvl 12. So a dip at lvl 11 would only cost you a Ki point.
But a monk 6/fighter 6 (3 feats, action surge, fighting style defense) or monk 6/thief 4/ranger 2 (bonus action, utility, fighting style defense) also look very appealing.
I think my second (evil) playthrough will be a murder midget (deep gnome) durge...

_V_

Liturgist
expanding on this, isnt it kind of important for PC to be sweet talker and not a thief? It slightly annoys me.

Also karlach racial to get advantage on intimidate is kind of good... now Im considering her to be my bard
With "Friends" you get advantage on all non-hostile charisma checks. It's a cantrip for bard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom