Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 - tips, tricks & helpful information

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So I think I just found a complete insane combo that makes Barbarians look like a waste of space.

This:

ftOPHgK.png

plus this:

0kJJdYt.png

Equals

Permanent Blade Ward i.e. resistance to all physical damage on the character.

And since the Gloves are nuts by themselves, you're not paying a price for the combo - both items are worth it on their own, the gloves obviously incredibly so.
Neat. Should combo well with Armor of Agathys. Although I enjoy Warding Bound since level 3. Makes me want to pick Sentinel first, to intercept enemies and have everyone attack my Warlock.

Mortmal

Arcane
Framerate takes a nosedive in the city, yes. My 3080 ran Max Settings at 90+ fps all the way til bg proper (so after Wyrm’s Crossing). There it is 30-60
I did lock my framerate to 60 just to avoid any more extra heat generation, plus don't see the point of having higher fps in a turn based game, which is why it's probably still "smooth" for me.
You'll still achieve 30fps in the city, trust us. Regarding heat generation, contemplate a slight undervolting of your card; not only will this help with temperature control, but it will also lead to savings on your power bills.

vazha

Arcane
Can i ditch the companions and play solo?

Game is balanced around a full party. Having beat the game attempting to do a semi-solo run, I can say there are some timed scenarios where you likely won't be able to beat with just one character.
Thanks. How much freedom do I have in choosing the companions I will be travelling with? How customizable are they, development wise? And how sizeable is the content I would be missing on if I went, say, for a two or max three man party?

notpl

Arbiter
You can't multiclass them at level up. I don't know if you can multiclass them while respec-ing them.
What? You're the only person saying this anywhere, there's a shitload of multiclass builds being posted for companions in various places.

_V_

Liturgist
No multiclassing on easy difficulty. Otherwise as much as you want. But the UI for it ist a little hidden. Race, looks and backround are fixed. Everything else can be changed (on respecc).
If you dislike the story companions, there is a pool of (twelve or more) different mercs that you can hire. But they are also not avaible as complete new creations (I think, so again race/backround fixed) and they cannot be upgraded with certain story powers which you might or might not want to use.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
OK, nice. The

Sarevok fight

was actually hard, even on level 12 with OP gear!

Maybe it gets less hard if you kill the sentries before entering the throne room, but fuck that. Epic fight!

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

Game is balanced around a full party. Having beat the game attempting to do a semi-solo run, I can say there are some timed scenarios where you likely won't be able to beat with just one character.
Thanks. How much freedom do I have in choosing the companions I will be travelling with? How customizable are they, development wise? And how sizeable is the content I would be missing on if I went, say, for a two or max three man party?

Almost complete freedom to respec them, except race and appearance. Unfortunately, companion content is the majority of the game, especially on the C&C end. They provide a lot of extra fluff to areas and quests you won't get going solo.

Also unfortunately, they are very cringe.

And they can be hyper bitchy if you don't do what they want. There's also some bugs that trigger post-coitus conversations if you didn't fuck them, and the game will keep reminding you of that.

vazha

Arcane

Almost complete freedom to respec them, except race and appearance. Unfortunately, companion content is the majority of the game, especially on the C&C end. They provide a lot of extra fluff to areas and quests you won't get going solo.

Also unfortunately, they are very cringe.

And they can be hyper bitchy if you don't do what they want. There's also some bugs that trigger post-coitus conversations if you didn't fuck them, and the game will keep reminding you of that.
So I cant even cut out the cringe by telling them to shut the fuck up or gtfo? sad.

Alex

Arcane
Out of curiosity, what exactly does "re-specing" mean? Is there an explanation of how you change someone's class and skills? It used to be that this kind of silliness was contained to MMOs, but it seems to be less and less the case.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Out of curiosity, what exactly does "re-specing" mean? Is there an explanation of how you change someone's class and skills? It used to be that this kind of silliness was contained to MMOs, but it seems to be less and less the case.
You can fully rebuild characters from level 1, including changing their attributes and skills.

There's a stupid explanation why you can do this, but it only makes sense after seeing the ending. There's an undead merchant in the camp you do this through. He's heavily implied to be a god of some kind, probably Jergal

OK, nice. The

Sarevok fight

Maybe it gets less hard if you kill the sentries before entering the throne room, but fuck that. Epic fight!

That fight is one of my most enjoyable ones in the game, but mostly for nostalgia. I didn't find the fight itself to be that hard, despite him being one of the highest level entities in the game.

I personally consider Raphael's fight with Hope in your party the highlight of the game.

It has not has only the highest HP (at least, that I've run into) enemy in the game, it also has a custom soundtrack sung by the dude himself and the only time I was actually forced to use Divine Intervention, a hyper-OP once-per-campaign spell.

Last edited:

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
yeah that song was actually very good, I tried to get that divine intervention weapon but could not swap/drop it :negative: wasted my precious haste spore aoe potion in that fight

Mortmal

Arcane
OK, nice. The

Sarevok fight

It might appear challenging to you because you can't shove anyone off the ledge this time. However, Otto's Irresistible Dance proves to be quite effective in this battle. A strategic approach involves surrounding him with minions, utilizing low level undead and elementals as buffers. Shadowheart's spirits, along with the Guardian spell, can be positioned behind to relentlessly assault him each turn grinding at his HP.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

It means "re-specification," spelt "re-speccing," or "respec," and it's an absolute godsend to buildfags like me, so leave it alone :)

The only time I don't respec is with the first "main" character who goes through a game properly with full immersion (once I've built a "scratch" character to get a feel for the system), anything after that is fair game for tinkering.

In fact, after I've run through a game (or most of it, to the point I get bored and lose immersion) I'm all in with cheat mods that allow you to tinker with every aspect of a game, like the wonderful mods for the Pathfinder games (Toy Box for PFWOTR).

Life is too short to try everything out au naturel, and few games are good enough to run through multiple times anyway. The only thing of interest to me after a certain point is builds and how they operate in combat.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Dark Urge cantrips use his proficiency bonus while Bard's and Cleric's don't?

Is this bugged or am I doing something wrong? Was looking forward to Vicious Mockery but it's too inaccurate without that bonus.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
So I think I just found a complete insane combo that makes Barbarians look like a waste of space.

This:

ftOPHgK.png

plus this:

0kJJdYt.png

Equals

Permanent Blade Ward i.e. resistance to all physical damage on the character.

And since the Gloves are nuts by themselves, you're not paying a price for the combo - both items are worth it on their own, the gloves obviously incredibly so.
Neat. Should combo well with Armor of Agathys. Although I enjoy Warding Bound since level 3. Makes me want to pick Sentinel first, to intercept enemies and have everyone attack my Warlock.
Found that combo for Harpy fight. Want Wyll in team to trigger his Inspiration than and keeping the armor up is a nice minigame. First Harpy went down suiciding on it so fast I forgot it was in the fight and kept looking for the fourth Harpy.

Hunter's Shortbow gives advantage against Monstrosities (like Harpies) so is great for that fight. Also Guiding Bolt from SH.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Devilfoil Masks that we find in Grymforge's upper level have a nice, hidden bonus. Wearing it gives other party member +1 STR but -1 to all mental stats. 4 melee party would have much fun with those, +3 STR for everybody.

Yosharian

Arcane
OK, nice. The

Sarevok fight

Question, did you come across any enemies resistant to, or immune to thunder and/or lightning damage over the course of the game?

And also, what percentage of enemies were the same but for fire damage?

Scientific research, yes.

Also, godamn the spoiler revealed itself when I quoted you

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
OK, nice. The

Sarevok fight

Question, did you come across any enemies resistant to, or immune to thunder and/or lightning damage over the course of the game?

And also, what percentage of enemies were the same but for fire damage?

Scientific research, yes.

Also, godamn the spoiler revealed itself when I quoted you

Dunno, really. I mostly dealt Physical, psychic and radiant

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
OK, nice. The

Sarevok fight

It might appear challenging to you because you can't shove anyone off the ledge this time.

I literally haven’t shoved a single enemy over a ledge the entire game (though Dame Ailyn did push Lorrakhan to his death, which was funny). Don’t want to lose loot and I don’t really find the environmental interactions to be more than a gimmick, would rather interact with the rule system. Weird thing to write a passive aggressive post about.

No, it was challenging because it is the first fight in the game that combines an action economy in the enemy’s favor with monsters that have enough HP not to die instantly.

It is objectively, numbers-wise, easily the strongest fight I’ve found up until that point (except Nautiloid Cambion).

I did beat it without reloading because you’re so utterly OP at this point in the game, but I couldn’t just autopilot it.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom