Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 - tips, tricks & helpful information

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
its annoying that checks are not handled like in solasta - make sure you talk with right character, your burly barbarian want step in to intimidate.
expanding on this, isnt it kind of important for PC to be sweet talker and not a thief? It slightly annoys me.

Also karlach racial to get advantage on intimidate is kind of good... now Im considering her to be my bard
With "Friends" you get advantage on all non-hostile charisma checks. It's a cantrip for bard.

Be careful with this, though. Will nerf attitudes hard and worse, it will make creatures hostile after a while. On tactician some creatures will also react directly in the dialogue.

Shrimp

Liturgist
its annoying that checks are not handled like in solasta - make sure you talk with right character, your burly barbarian want step in to intimidate.
expanding on this, isnt it kind of important for PC to be sweet talker and not a thief? It slightly annoys me.

Also karlach racial to get advantage on intimidate is kind of good... now Im considering her to be my bard
Might be selective memory on my part but when I try to think of all the speech checks I've done I feel like a majority of the 'important' ones were for gaining access to various areas without needing to take the beaten path to sneak in.
There are definitely some non-charisma based checks in dialogue throughout the game though. I think it was fairly balanced considering that logically persuasion, deception and intimidation should be the ones appearing the most in dialogues.

That being said I suppose there is an argument to be made for having your PC or at least your 'default' character to have some points in Charisma solely so you don't need to switch characters whenever you want to sell stuff to vendors and merchants.

_V_

Liturgist

With "Friends" you get advantage on all non-hostile charisma checks. It's a cantrip for bard.

Be careful with this, though. Will nerf attitudes hard and worse, it will make creatures hostile after a while. On tactician some creatures will also react directly in the dialogue.
You are right, however I'm playing on balanced and there hasn't been a single negative attitude from friends since I switched to the bard 1 /fighter build. (Tactitian is for second playthrough, when I know what I'm doing and have meta knowledge.)

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

You are right, however I'm playing on balanced and there hasn't been a single negative attitude from friends since I switched to the bard 1 /fighter build. (Tactitian is for second playthrough, when I know what I'm doing and have meta knowledge.)

Unfortunately you don't need meta knowledge for this game to be easy even on tactician, if you're an rpg veteran.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
is any usage of tadpole bad? Or just if you inject more of them?
for example i made gnoll warlord attack his dudes and I wonder how much I will regret it later

If one wanted to go all in, checks I saw so far were all wisdom based?

Shrimp

Liturgist
for example i made gnoll warlord attack his dudes and I wonder how much I will regret it later

I'm fairly sure all the tadpole dialogue checks are all WIS, but they also have a DC of 2 or something incredibly low so you're pretty much guaranteed to succeed them unless you roll a 1.

Modron

Arcane
Just when you thought Storm of Zehir put this issue to bed 15 years ago the modern need to fully voice all lines reanimated its corpse.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

I'm fairly sure all the tadpole dialogue checks are all WIS, but they also have a DC of 2 or something incredibly low so you're pretty much guaranteed to succeed them unless you roll a 1.
Most don't seem low so far. I've been failing them all the time (8 Wis).

Yosharian

Arcane
So I get the impression most of you guys are pretty far in the game and you probably have found these items anyway, but just in case you're interested (spoilered cos I know some of you are avoiding item spoilers):

I'm going to be uploading another video this morning about the Paladin/Warlock exploit (or did Larian intend it?) so some of you might be interested in that

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I fought a Bulette, brought it to half health and it burrowed away and disengaged from combat. I wonder if this is intended.

volklore

Arcane
Inspiration mechanics is massive incline btw. Both incentivizes roleplaying and gives something to limit skill check save scumming, love it.
Used 2 of them to pass a DC15 barb specific str check to break off metal binds after being drugged by the goblin priestess which led to a crazy 1 v 2 against the priestess (with a very annoying shield spell and her ogre body guard. Had to use 2 rage charges, a bunch of potions and elixirs. Most memorable fight in the game so far for me funnily. Barb has tons of class specific STR/intimidation checks, even up to some romance dialog - really cool so far

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
So I think I just found a complete insane combo that makes Barbarians look like a waste of space.

This:

ftOPHgK.png

plus this:

0kJJdYt.png

Equals

Permanent Blade Ward i.e. resistance to all physical damage on the character.

And since the Gloves are nuts by themselves, you're not paying a price for the combo - both items are worth it on their own, the gloves obviously incredibly so.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Can i ditch the companions and play solo?

Game is balanced around a full party. Having beat the game attempting to do a semi-solo run, I can say there are some timed scenarios where you likely won't be able to beat with just one character.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
So I think I just found a complete insane combo that makes Barbarians look like a waste of space.

This:

ftOPHgK.png

plus this:

0kJJdYt.png

Equals

And since the Gloves are nuts by themselves, you're not paying a price for the combo - both items are worth it on their own, the gloves obviously incredibly so.

There's a mid/late game armor that literally just gives you Blade Ward all the time, as well as +20 AC, -2 all damage and Resistance.

It's super easy to make actually invincible characters in this game.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I fought a Bulette, brought it to half health and it burrowed away and disengaged from combat. I wonder if this is intended.

It is. Just keep going.
BTW, the Spectator fucked me up twice in a row, and I decided to skip it :lol:

Use Cloud or Darkness spell where he is going to appear and then don't give him any chance to recover. You can attack it behind the cloud and suprise it.
If you saved the spear that deal more damage to Extra Eyed monster, your front line should make short work of it.

Edit: Or just leave a Sursur flower to battlefield before he appears.

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane

This:

ftOPHgK.png

plus this:

0kJJdYt.png

Equals

There's a mid/late game armor that literally just gives you Blade Ward all the time, as well as +20 AC, -2 all damage and Resistance.

The lategame items I've seen are so unbelievably OP that I can scarcely believe it is possible for Larian to create a challenging endgame. There are enough items to grant something like a +4, maybe a +5 to your spell DCs, maybe? That alone just guarantees spellcasters are going to bend over anything lategame.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

This:

ftOPHgK.png

plus this:

0kJJdYt.png

Equals

no barbarian in bg3 ever zen

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom