Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 - tips, tricks & helpful information

jackofshadows

Magister
jackofshadows Can you give details plz?
I managed to trade forbidden knowledge from the thay book for 2 stats for me to choose from
5F024787A69AE4DC5A82E622F4D3BA704D9D954F

as you see, for some reason it states that you can have even 2 more I imagine by some item or something else.

also SH receives 2 bonus stats there as the quest reward so to say but I assume only on the "dark" path. Didn't check the other outcome and cba to do it for now. Plus I think it's stupid thing to do after you've killed nightsong already anyway

I wonder what else can be traded there. You can also submit any your own stats or try to deceive Shar but all that gives nothing in return (and a curse for -2 stat in the case of submitting the stats

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Is this cheating, e.g. akin to spamming skull traps in bg2? Or am I doing alright?
I consider that as a hard AI abuse, it clearly suppose to run at you in this situations while it don't even try. So yeah, I hope they'll fix it so fog/darkness use will be valid. So far, I think not.

Just learned that it's possible to legitimately raise stats above 20 in this game, cool.
Mirror of Loss, by SH's quest

Dunno if you only mean permanently, but there’s also a diadem that lets you raise Charisma to 22

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Btw that Harpy fight you guys constantly talk about, musta missed it. Where is it? Shadowlands?

Druid Grove near the beach.
Yeah, its an early game, level 3 fight. But having the entire party perma charmed, unless you can somehow block it, makes it rather tricky.

But yes, Armor of Agathys was great there, particularly that most of it happens in water...
It doesn’t have to happen in the water. You can start most (or all with Sanctuary on the kid) of the party on high ground.

Resisting lure is WIS check so SH is mostly immune. Once you’ve been lured you’re immune now for two two rounds (this may be a nerf). Harpies only get multi-attack on lured toons so they hit you hard at first but fight gets easier as it goes.

The Hunting Shortbow that gives auto-advantage vs Monstrosities from the top of cliff can keep taking out the singing harpy, especially on Ranger with good WIS saves. But Bard/Rogue can also handle.

Gargaune

Arcane
Guys, help, the Tieflings tried to steal from me, the Druids are being disrespectful and the Goblins are... well, Goblins. What's the best story way to murder everyone?

Also, how does stealing work in this game? Thrice now I've had Astarion steal stuff in the Grove, he was stealthed and definitely out of any red cone of vision, but I was confronted by guards every time. Managed to talk my way out of it, there doesn't seem to be any consequences beyond that, but still.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Guys, help, the Tieflings tried to steal from me, the Druids are being disrespectful and the Goblins are... well, Goblins. What's the best story way to murder everyone?
Help the goblins take over the Grove, then betray the goblins? But honestly, when you are "siding with the goblins", you are just siding with the Cult. The goblins are only beasts used for the purposes of the Cult. And the Cult is much more sophisticated than warpaint and warcries. You'll meet the Drow that seemingly leads the local branch.

Larianshill

Arbiter
Isn't long resting also prohibitive on Tactician due to increased supply cost? How does that factor in to the 'you must rest to experience the story' issue?
You can rest without using any supplies at all, it just doesn't refresh some of your resources.

Desiderius

Patron

Also, how does stealing work in this game? Thrice now I've had Astarion steal stuff in the Grove, he was stealthed and definitely out of any red cone of vision, but I was confronted by guards every time. Managed to talk my way out of it, there doesn't seem to be any consequences beyond that, but still.
Use TB to hightail it out of there.

jackofshadows

Magister
Dunno if you only mean permanently, but there’s also a diadem that lets you raise Charisma to 22
Shiet, that means I should've chosen the con raise instead? :) Eh, I will not replay that anyway. But yeah, that's definitely a perma raise same as with thehag's hair.

Desiderius

Patron

Gargaune

Arcane
Help the goblins take over the Grove, then betray the goblins? But honestly, when you are "siding with the goblins", you are just siding with the Cult. The goblins are only beasts used for the purposes of the Cult. And the Cult is much more sophisticated than warpaint and warcries. You'll meet the Drow that seemingly leads the local branch.
Ah, so there's no murderhobo approach, the main plot does require me to pick one of 'em at this stage? I guess I'll decide who's the least annoying after I meet Minthara. I sided with Kagha in the EA, but I was playing a tree-hugging ranger back then, whereas this time... not so much.

Use TB to hightail it out of there.
Bloody hell, I seem to have got it now, thanks. So they do a perception sweep shortly after the crime, and you can only return to the scene after they're done. I was just running into this problem trying to pickpocket the Rune for Nettie's library from Rath.

I also ran into this weird thing, not sure if it's a bug, but trying to sneak into the room, Astarion kept canceling out of stealth in Loic's perception range, even though he succeeded the rolls. Very annoying, several reloads and it happened every time with nothing to explain it in the log.

Oh, one more thing for anyone, is there no End Party Turn button? It's getting tedious to have to confirm each character's done.

Desiderius

Patron
If you use Dash you often don't have to. Just turn off TB with the furthest character highlighted and they'll all follow it in time to getaway. There's erven some Gloves available very early that give you a free Jump with each Dash.

Basically Hide with your thief in a nearby shadow, turn on TB if it works, hit Dash on the thief and Guidance from SH to help PP/burglary roll, then take the stuff and get away as far as you can. Dash other party members and move them away then choose furthest away to turn off TB. Rest of party will follow.

Gargaune

Arcane
If you use Dash you often don't have to. Just turn off TB with the furthest character highlighted and they'll all follow it in time to getaway. There's erven some Gloves available very early that give you a free Jump with each Dash.

Basically Hide with your thief in a nearby shadow, turn on TB if it works, hit Dash on the thief and Guidance from SH to help PP/burglary roll, then take the stuff and get away as far as you can. Dash other party members and move them away then choose furthest away to turn off TB. Rest of party will follow.
Cheers! I don't steal often, but when I do, I like to get away with it.

There's definitely something weird about the theft implementation, though. I get the sweep thing on pickpocketing, sort of, but when you lift an item on the ground, while expressly hidden from anyone's perception area, and you still get a guard immediately beeline to you, it brings to mind something from way, way back... Let's just say Larian missed a trick not starting that dialogue with "Stop right there, criminal scum!"

Mojobeard

Augur
Finally level 12.
Are there any good two-handed weapons in Baldur's Gate?
I have one of the gith commander's +2 greatsword on frog, and am myself using a +2 polearm that gives a bonus to perception checks from act 2's tower, but haven't found anything in act 3.
It feels like half the gear is gith specific or stupid daggers or dagger adjacent wimpy shit.

Yosharian

Arcane
jackofshadows Can you give details plz?
I managed to trade forbidden knowledge from the thay book for 2 stats for me to choose from
5F024787A69AE4DC5A82E622F4D3BA704D9D954F

as you see, for some reason it states that you can have even 2 more I imagine by some item or something else.

also SH receives 2 bonus stats there as the quest reward so to say but I assume only on the "dark" path. Didn't check the other outcome and cba to do it for now. Plus I think it's stupid thing to do after you've killed nightsong already anyway

I wonder what else can be traded there. You can also submit any your own stats or try to deceive Shar but all that gives nothing in return (and a curse for -2 stat in the case of submitting the stats
I see, you can only get this if you're doing the quest the evil way? I won't get this on my first playthrough then I guess

Yosharian

Arcane
Finally level 12.
I have one of the gith commander's +2 greatsword on frog, and am myself using a +2 polearm that gives a bonus to perception checks from act 2's tower, but haven't found anything in act 3.
It feels like half the gear is gith specific or stupid daggers or dagger adjacent wimpy shit.
I did two videos on the best gear in the game dude

Yosharian

Arcane
Is this cheating, e.g. akin to spamming skull traps in bg2? Or am I doing alright?
I consider that as a hard AI abuse, it clearly suppose to run at you in this situations while it don't even try. So yeah, I hope they'll fix it so fog/darkness use will be valid. So far, I think not.

Just learned that it's possible to legitimately raise stats above 20 in this game, cool.
Mirror of Loss, by SH's quest

A diadem? Whut? You mean like a head item? Are you talking about Birthright?

Mojobeard

Augur
Okay I found a marginally better purple +2 greatsword that you get by just doing the main quest that heals you on hit and has 1d4 necrotic.
Considering the +2 halberd I bought a 5 levels ago, which has reach, advantage on perception checks, +1 ini, advantage on reactions, and 1d4 force damage, the sword is very whelming. Only real bonus is rerolling two die with GWF.

Finally level 12.
I did two videos on the best gear in the game dude
I ain't watching no videos goshdarnit

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Unfortunately you don't need meta knowledge for this game to be easy even on tactician, if you're an rpg veteran.
Depends on the cRPGs you played before. If you come from the MMORPG side, action RPGs or even Wizardry, tactician will feel hard because a lot of the little things that help with fights are just non-intutitive to these players. If you played P&P RPGs or D&D before this will make it easier, though even then your idea that tactician is too easy is really, wildy off the mark, for 95% of players tactician is too hard and most of those who tried it will go back to balanced.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom