Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 - tips, tricks & helpful information

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
If I went with more than 1 level rogue dip I would probably dip 3 levels into rogue so you get subclass + cleric 10th level feature is not important.
Cleric 6th level spell is not must have I pretty much only used this which is pretty great though
muSKzP7.png

The Planar Ally spell is bound to be underrated. It's actually quite good. The three summons each have unique abilities and they stay with you permanently (until long rest).

The only reason you wouldn't cast it, really, is if you only have one slot and you use it for Feast.
Yea, the summons are amazing. Elementals stay forever, have the same level as the caster and twice the HP and the Fire Elemental at least can teleport around willy-nilly.

Worst one is druid level 4 dryad summon. Two summons for the price of one, and the dryad hits laughably hard with her Shillelagh :D

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Although the most OP is of course The Necromancy of Thay-one. 6 summons in one cast, and they all cause paralyze on auto-attacks. Those ghouls killed
the Slayer
, my character didn't contribute much :lol:

Yosharian

Arcane
Honestly, I haven't been too impressed with the highest level spells.
Now fighters getting a third attack at level 11, that is something else. Sweaty round of 7 attacks, 3 times a day.
Try casting Haste.

Also Warlock multiclass builds can currently get that Extra Attack x2 as well. Although they can't Action Surge obviously.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
New video:

I feel like I used Precision Strike on 99% of my Battle Master's turns even without GWF, so while GWF is certainly excellent, you have to do some work to make it a 2+ hit on Tactician. And in practical combat scenarios, you'll often have negative modifiers on your to hit rolls. So I think GWF might be way worse in practice than its theorycrafting would suggest.

Yosharian

Arcane
New video:

I feel like I used Precision Strike on 99% of my Battle Master's turns even without GWF, so while GWF is certainly excellent, you have to do some work to make it a 2+ hit on Tactician. And in practical combat scenarios, you'll often have negative modifiers on your to hit rolls. So I think GWF might be way worse in practice than its theorycrafting would suggest.

Great Weapon FIGHTING dude not GWM

Also this is mostly for Paladins, other classes get very little out of GWF

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
New video:

Great Weapon FIGHTING dude not GWM

Ah lol, I'm an idiot. Can't watch while I'm at work :negative:

volklore

Arcane
Now fighters getting a third attack at level 11, that is something else. Sweaty round of 7 attacks, 3 times a day.
Also means that a Lore Bard is basically a Wizard, increasing that class' viability

Not even close. Bard's spell list is terrible.

Of course due to multiclassing being broken, you could just take 1 level of wizard and have access to literally all wizard spells :M
Wait that's how it works ?
As long as you level a casting class after you get access to the whole spell list ?

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Also means that a Lore Bard is basically a Wizard, increasing that class' viability

Of course due to multiclassing being broken, you could just take 1 level of wizard and have access to literally all wizard spells :M
As long as you level a casting class after you get access to the whole spell list ?
I think he means if you have 1 level of Wizard, and enough spellcasting level, you can right-click a scroll and learn it.

Yosharian

Arcane

No it's just specifically Wizard because of the Scribe Scrolls ability

volklore

Arcane
I also tried to play around with the reverberation condition along with the lightning charges items on EK lae'zel after I got the glove item that applies 2 rounds of reverberation when the character deal lightning, radiant or thunder damage. But it didn't seem to work with the lightning damage from the lightning charge.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
Hey didn't you post a onedrive link for classes progression in the thread ? I can't find it anymore.
Don't know if possible, but would be nice if this kind of ressource could be added in Kemo's first post...

Warlock 5/Paladin 5 = Extra Attack x2

:shredder:

Oh, this is too much, game is already too easy. My main char was a paladin that I changed to Warlock (just wanted to focus on high charisma for conversation checks), didn't overthink it but pally/warlock works surprisingly well (endless divine smite).

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
My main char was a paladin that I changed to Warlock (just wanted to focus on high charisma for conversation checks). Didn't overthink it but pally/warlock works surprisingly well (almost endless divine smite).
Paladins and warlocks are easly the most over powered classes right now. They trivalize most af the fight after lvl 3.

Edit: On topic, here's the cheese of the day. The """"Mundane""""Chest we get from the Arcane Tower is a really nice container to carry Sussur flowers. Just gave the chest to some sneaky guy or a jumper to get near casters and then release the blooms!
Eh, probably a bug on my side, sorry folks. Sussur s become a normal flower as soon as you got it out from Underdark.

Last edited:

volklore

Arcane
I am probably going to multiclass my barb (wolf wildheart) to fighter. I just don't know if now (level 6) or later (probably level 9).

- If I go fighter now I only delay 1 feat by one level, lose a rage charge and the +3 initiative buff and get 1 bonus feat at lvl 11, grab action surge at 7 and superiority dice on top of the fighting style. And I'd still get the ''lost feat'' back as fighter bonus feat at Fighter 6.
Although losing the barb intiative buff and immunity to surprised means I will probably need to pick ''alert'' which I would most likely not need would I go for barb 8. So you could say it does cost me 1 feat. I also lose the animal aspect of which only one looks interesting (extra str modifier on damage against bled/poisoned targets - good if I can find a way to reliably proc those effects).

- If I go at 9 I would lose the later barb features which are kinda meh in my eyes. The extra damage on crit is okay and relentless rage might be great or completely useless (I have the halforc racial long rest version of it and it barely ever gets procced) but I dont think that can compete with action surge and superiority dice (riposte + accuracy if needed).

The way I have been playing so far is I pop wolf rage to give laezel advantage and go town on the boss while shadowheart and gayle support and deal with the mooks for a turn or two. I feel action surge complements that gameplan more than staying straight barb. I am edging towards multiclassing at 9 because I do love my initiative and I might be able to take good advantage of animal aspect by using portent dice for bleeds and poisons. Am I missing something there ?

Last edited:

jackofshadows

Magister
Finally level 12.
Are there any good two-handed weapons in Baldur's Gate?
I have one of the gith commander's +2 greatsword on frog, and am myself using a +2 polearm that gives a bonus to perception checks from act 2's tower, but haven't found anything in act 3.
It feels like half the gear is gith specific or stupid daggers or dagger adjacent wimpy shit.
There's +3 legendary sword for signing the deal with the devil and showing the hammer to Voss (agreeing to free the prince). Damage bonus is gith only however even though you can negotiate with Laezel its use for non-gith.
The Planar Ally spell is bound to be underrated. It's actually quite good. The three summons each have unique abilities and they stay with you permanently (until long rest).

The only reason you wouldn't cast it, really, is if you only have one slot and you use it for Feast.
I forgot where I got the amulet which restores 1 any spell slot so currently on 11 lvl I cast feast, restore the slot and then change the amulet.

By the way, I find this design of many many items have this or that use per short/long rest jarring. I imagine if this game for some reason actually had proper attrition system and so player was suppose to optimize every rest it would be massively tedious to manage. As it stands it's whatever since you can rest almost anytime so. But still, I'd prefer if weapons and armor bits were more about passive bonuses and the rest of the game would be balanced around that.
So I think GWF might be way worse in practice than its theorycrafting would suggest.
If we speak about GWM then I can tell from practice it's not hard to keep high thc at all partially thanks to these
ED3122B80A00817D25D1F360DB054738CF6E672A
Either it's bugged or intended but their bonus triggers from far larger radius than one might think

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

I forgot where I got the amulet which restores 1 any spell slot so currently on 11 lvl I cast feast, restore the slot and then change the amulet.

yes, that was the item i was hinting at ;)

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
If there was better resource management element in the game then short/long rest charges would make more sense
I finished the game and I had food enough for 20+ long rests

also good party setup I had the same

Shrimp

Liturgist
If there was better resource management element in the game then short/long rest charges would make more sense
I finished the game and I had food enough for 20+ long rests

also good party setup I had the same
I just completely stopped picking up food in act 2 and I still ended up having enough of it to last me until the end of the game. Not really sure why they bothered putting it in in the first place.
Maybe it's their way of telling you it's alright to long rest frequently since a lot of companion quests and side missions are tied to long rests, but food is just simply so abundant that the mechanic might as well not exist outside of being additional weight in your inventory.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
If you murderhobo your way through the whole game you need a lot more food than if you play nicely with others so it's there if you want to do that but if you're doing the quests like normal it will feel like a lot and if you're using skill checks to bypass combat it will feel like way too much. I'm basically blowing my wad on every fight and still have only long rested three times maybe in all of Act1 (only Underdark left). Seems like I went two full rl nights without resting in game at all doing Druid's stuff.

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
My main char was a paladin that I changed to Warlock (just wanted to focus on high charisma for conversation checks). Didn't overthink it but pally/warlock works surprisingly well (almost endless divine smite).
Paladins and warlocks are easly the most over powered classes right now. They trivalize most af the fight after lvl 3.

Edit: On topic, here's the cheese of the day. The """"Mundane""""Chest we get from the Arcane Tower is a really nice container to carry Sussur flowers. Just gave the chest to some sneaky guy or a jumper to get near casters and then release the blooms!
Stuff like that is really incline, but does the blooms survive in act 3 and can you keep doing that trick? I think they wane of.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom