Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 - tips, tricks & helpful information

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
thats insane, never had that and I finished the game already

N'wah

Novice

Anybody notice this ? I just notice gale having this buff. But It's not documented in any tooltip on his character sheet.
Yeah I saw that when I was messing around with a Divination Wizard. The Portent Die are supposed to be restored on short rest at level 6 or something but for whatever reason short resting doesn't work like the tooltip says, and you have to instead restore the die by fulfilling one of those prophecies, which is essentially just do 1 damage of a certain random type to an enemy to get back a Portent Die. Not sure if the tooltip itself is wrong or this is some band-aid fix to get the feature to work.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron

Chain Lightning​

6 Evocation

• Casting Time: 1 action
  • Range: 150 feet
  • Target: A target of your choice that you can see within range
  • Components: V S M (A bit of fur; a piece of amber, glass, or a crystal rod; and three silver pins)
  • Duration: Instantaneous
  • Classes: Sorcerer, Wizard
  • You create a bolt of lightning that arcs toward a target of your choice that you can see within range. Three bolts then leap from that target to as many as three other targets, each of which must be within 30 feet of the first target. A target can be a creature or an object and can be targeted by only one of the bolts. A target must make a Dexterity saving throw. The target takes 10d8 lightning damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

based on that should work as intended, lightning bolt does not choose next targets based on what caster can see

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
please dont summon shitposters into this thread

storm sorc is good + other subclasses are pretty awful well draconic is fine but wild magic is pretty trashy

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Never played a Sorc really in any game (the one class I didn't use much in Owlcat games) but kid wanted to play Dark Urge so been having fun flying around.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

So fucking tired and short of breath this morning. Dammit.

Hmm, interesting.
Makes me want to dip Tempest Cleric on my Blade Warlock. The lightning ward would work nicely with the Armor of Agathys - and also would massively benefit from making the enemies wet.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
Have to choose a reward from Counsellor Florick.

Does the Speedy Lightfeet boots give you lightning charges when you rush attack? (desc : "When the wearer Dashes or takes a similar action during combat, they gain 3 Lightning Charges")

I have them on Laezel, and now considering taking The sparky points trident as reward. It gives Rush attack and 2 lightning charges at hit. This means I could gain the 5 charges in just one rush attack and deal the additionnal 1d8 dmg at first attack.

Other option is to choose the longbow Joltshooter (also gain 2 Lightning Charges at hit) for Astarion.

Which one did you guys choose? Its the first Rare weapons I find.

Last edited:

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Does the Speedy Lightfeet boots give you lightning charges when you rush attack?
Nope, it means Dash from rogues bonus action or similar. And even then it won't work some times, probably a bug.
I tried to build around that Lightning Charge gear with Astarion using a long bow but not really worth the hassle. The shortbow with Frighten effect is superior for ranged builds.
That build is probably better for a monk or a barbarian but there much more better armor pieces even at lower levels.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Does the Speedy Lightfeet boots give you lightning charges when you rush attack?
Nope, it means Dash from rogues bonus action or similar. And even then it won't work some times, probably a bug.
I tried to build around that Lightning Charge gear with Astarion using a long bow but not really worth the hassle.

I reacted to every one of those charge-type items with "cute, but 99% sure that won't be worth it" and just threw it at the next trader or gale without thinking about it

maybe there's some broken build, if so: :salute: to whoever can be arsed to play around with the mechanic

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
If there was better resource management element in the game then short/long rest charges would make more sense
I finished the game and I had food enough for 20+ long rests

also good party setup I had the same

You can mod that to make it more meaningful with Long Rest Cost Tweaks. Offers a variety of multipliers for resource cost for long rests.

I suspect this aspect of the game is reasonably balanced out of the box for someone who doesn't open every single container that's not marked, but if you're like me and open every single thing marked or unmarked, you need something like this, I think.

Last edited:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
how much replayability does this game offer?
Im still going through act1 but so far there have been plenty of mind power abuse that I didnt partake in.
Now there is this goblin quests and just confirmed my suspicion - if I were to join em then I'll lose tiefling barbarian.

Will it make sense to restart as power hungry tadpole spawn? Or are those cosmetic in the end and not like 20+% content would I miss

Larianshill

Arbiter
So far, I've not discovered a single redeemable part to the goblin route, or the act 2 cultist route. Mintharra is not even exclusive to them.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
The level 6 class feature of a wizard's transmuter subclass is create a "Transmuters stone". This ability creates an item that can be carried by one of your party members and persists while the creator not in your group. you can pick one of;

• Thunder resistance
  • Fire resist
  • Lighting resist
  • Cold resist
  • Acid resist
  • +3 move speed
  • Constitution saving throw proficiency
  • Darkvision to 18 meters

Each transmuter can only create one stone. The stones are permanent (persist after long rest). It would be possible to create multiple hirelings and respec them into Transmuters so that your whole party could have a buff.
    You can also put each of these buffs on a single person, but cannot stack the same buff twice on one person (the item persists, the effect is not multiplied).
    You probably already know, but Longstrider (+3 movement speed), darkvision (18m) and light (make an object produce light) also can be cast from camp and persist.
    Theoretically you could use all 12 hirelings to make 12 stones each giving a permanent buff. More if you converted companions you don't plan to use.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Im still going through act1 but so far there have been plenty of mind power abuse that I didnt partake in.
Now there is this goblin quests and just confirmed my suspicion - if I were to join em then I'll lose tiefling barbarian.

Will it make sense to restart as power hungry tadpole spawn? Or are those cosmetic in the end and not like 20+% content would I miss
I did a lawful good vengeance paladin where I slaughtered anyone that even looked remotely evil, and a second playthrough where I was an evil monk siding with the cult.

Unfortunately, most of the branching really occurs in Act 1 + Act 2. Whether you sided with the cult or opposed them, that gets merged at the end of Act 2.

Since I have no interest in the companions, I'll probably do an omnicide run at some point and call it.

Mortmal

Arcane
So far, I've not discovered a single redeemable part to the goblin route, or the act 2 cultist route. Mintharra is not even exclusive to them.
Only difference is you get less xp by that route, making the game more challenging.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Definitely at least a "good" run and an "evil" run, with or without heavy ilithid investments respectively, and soem companions choosing light or darkness in their respective growth. Also playing as a combat class once,and a spell caster class the second time.
So minimum 2 runs, and you will see enough different stuff the second time around, and gameplay will be sufficiently different.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron

Does the Speedy Lightfeet boots give you lightning charges when you rush attack? (desc : "When the wearer Dashes or takes a similar action during combat, they gain 3 Lightning Charges")

I have them on Laezel, and now considering taking The sparky points trident as reward. It gives Rush attack and 2 lightning charges at hit. This means I could gain the 5 charges in just one rush attack and deal the additionnal 1d8 dmg at first attack.

Other option is to choose the longbow Joltshooter (also gain 2 Lightning Charges at hit) for Astarion.

I took the Joltshooter longbow for my paladin to use as a means of gaining lightning charges, which was a nice combinations with the Sparkle Hands gauntlets magic item that provides advantage on attacks against armored foes and metal constructs when possessing lightning charges. The only problem is that the damage output of the Joltshooter falls behind other options even before the end of Act I.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
Damn, I shoved the hag down in the chasm, I hope I'm not missing good loot. But really, things were not looking good and it was a desperate move. A farcical ending to a tough fight.
She was a genuinely spooky creature and there was some Witcher vibe in this quest.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron

I took the Joltshooter longbow for my paladin to use as a means of gaining lightning charges, which was a nice combinations with the Sparkle Hands gauntlets magic item that provides advantage on attacks against armored foes and metal constructs when possessing lightning charges. The only problem is that the damage output of the Joltshooter falls behind other options even before the end of Act I.
Seems like I found a passive source somewhere near gob village. IIRC you get +1 AB/Saves while charged so worth *being* charged even if the discharge is meh.

Desiderius

Patron
Definitely at least a "good" run and an "evil" run, with or without heavy ilithid investments respectively, and soem companions choosing light or darkness in their respective growth. Also playing as a combat class once,and a spell caster class the second time.
So minimum 2 runs, and you will see enough different stuff the second time around, and gameplay will be sufficiently different.
Planning run for at least Gale and Astarion MC along with Bard, Ranger (currently on zero tadpole, including ship), Pal and then we'll see. Might do Gith Champion MC just to see how much I can get out of big jumps and shoves, which I haven't really used all that much yet.

Will try all the different subclasses on the companions while running through those. Don't anticipate a great deal of variation on storyside but I'm not much of a storyphag, just like trying the varied mechanics. Haven't gotten into other Domains yet on Shadowheart since that requires respec but probably will after finishing first run-through with Trickster. Will get into modded after enhanced edition hits in 2053.

Yosharian

Arcane
> It would be possible to create multiple hirelings and respec them into Transmuters so that your whole party could have a buff.

Bahaha.

Free CON save proficiency is no joke, wow.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom