Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 - tips, tricks & helpful information

Yosharian

Arcane
Endgame ability scores are ridiculous. You can get 24 in STR. Lol.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Have to choose a reward from Counsellor Florick.

Does the Speedy Lightfeet boots give you lightning charges when you rush attack? (desc : "When the wearer Dashes or takes a similar action during combat, they gain 3 Lightning Charges")

I have them on Laezel, and now considering taking The sparky points trident as reward. It gives Rush attack and 2 lightning charges at hit. This means I could gain the 5 charges in just one rush attack and deal the additionnal 1d8 dmg at first attack.

Other option is to choose the longbow Joltshooter (also gain 2 Lightning Charges at hit) for Astarion.

Which one did you guys choose? Its the first Rare weapons I find.
I took the Joltshooter longbow for my paladin to use as a means of gaining lightning charges, which was a nice combinations with the Sparkle Hands gauntlets magic item that provides advantage on attacks against armored foes and metal constructs when possessing lightning charges. The only problem is that the damage output of the Joltshooter falls behind other options even before the end of Act I.

There seem to be a fair few items that have something to do with Lightning Charges. There's a cloth piece as well, and leathers, and a ring as well (gives immunity to lightning, so you could probably go the whole hog with standing in water, electrify it, etc.).

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I burned the Book of Thay in holy flames the moment I opened it with the dark amethist.
I don't know what exactly it does, but apparenlty it provides some extra content at least.
Please spoil this to me - do I get anything at all further along the story for destroying the book, except the satisfaction that I did the right thing in Moradin's name?

Yosharian

Arcane
I burned the Book of Thay in holy flames the moment I opened it with the dark amethist.
I don't know what exactly it does, but apparenlty it provides some extra content at least.
Please spoil this to me - do I get anything at all further along the story for destroying the book, except the satisfaction that I did the right thing in Moradin's name?
You can use it when you interact with the mirror of loss, apart from that I don't think you lose anything

Aside from the benefit of reading it ofc

And it's not necessary to use the mirror although I doubt your character would want to do that

Shrimp

Liturgist
Reading the book requires three successive saving throws, but if you succeed all three the character that read it unlocks a permanent version of Speak with Dead
In act 3 there's an option to gain further knowledge from the book.
I forgot the exact details, but the reward is a spell that summons 6 ghouls.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
do I get anything at all further along the story for destroying the book, except the satisfaction that I did the right thing in Moradin's name?
Reading the book requires three successive saving throws, but if you succeed all three the character that read it unlocks a permanent version of Speak with Dead
In act 3 there's an option to gain further knowledge from the book.
I forgot the exact details, but the reward is a spell that summons 6 ghouls.
Yeah, I know there are some benefits for reading the book.
I wondered if I get any kind of pat on the shoulder for destorying it or I just excluded myself from extra content.

Yosharian

Arcane
image-1.png

:shredder:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Damn, I shoved the hag down in the chasm, I hope I'm not missing good loot. But really, things were not looking good and it was a desperate move. A farcical ending to a tough fight.
She was a genuinely spooky creature and there was some Witcher vibe in this quest.
after all the testing that I did, you dont lose much if you planned on killing her.
However you do lose something since you cant bring her down to low hp and bargain

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
You can use it when you interact with the mirror of loss, apart from that I don't think you lose anything

Aside from the benefit of reading it ofc

And it's not necessary to use the mirror although I doubt your character would want to do that

You also miss some quest content in BG where you learn to unlock the final part. But it’s not much, just a little cool thing for power hungry folk

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
Damn, I shoved the hag down in the chasm, I hope I'm not missing good loot. But really, things were not looking good and it was a desperate move. A farcical ending to a tough fight.
She was a genuinely spooky creature and there was some Witcher vibe in this quest.
after all the testing that I did, you dont lose much if you planned on killing her.
However you do lose something since you cant bring her down to low hp and bargain
Good. I don't negotiate with hags.

Hadn't play a paladin for years, feels good going around all self righteous and smiting stuff without asking oneself too many questions.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Good. I don't negotiate with hags.

Hadn't play a paladin for years, feels good going around all self righteous and smiting stuff without asking oneself too many questions.

'tis the natural state of man.

volklore

Arcane
Idk if you're supposed to do the gith creche and the mountain pass after the underdark but I have been litterally wiping the floor with the underdark encounters since (tactician), haven't taken a long rest since the one I took after the creche.
I am almost considering using https://www.nexusmods.com/baldursgate3/mods/661. Maybe I'll continue for a bit and see if difficulty gets better at the start of act 2.

Last edited:

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Idk if you're supposed to do the gith creche and the mountain pass after the underdark but I have been litterally wiping the floor with the underdark encounters since (tactician), haven't taken a long rest since the one I took after the creche.
I am almost considering using https://www.nexusmods.com/baldursgate3/mods/661. Maybe I'll continue for a bit and see if difficulty gets better at the start of act 2.

I think the general idea is: finish all the underdark and grymforge/ancient forge stuff, stop short at the grymforge elevator that will eventually lead to Moonrise Towers (it's fairly close to the start of the grymforge area), then go back and do the mountain pass (which leads to gith creche in Lathander monastery), then either continue to Moonrise Towers from that zone, or go back to the grymforge elevator and go from there. I'm exactly at that point now, and will probably go via the grymforge elevator.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
cloud giant elixirs are pretty common and pump your str to 27. think I had around 10 of those before spamming em in act 3
never bothered to use weapon coatings but since elixirs last till long rest those were easy to use

jackofshadows

Magister
I'm exactly at that point now, and will probably go via the grymforge elevator.
At that point there will be no difference same as travelling to mountain pass either via bridge near gith encounter or via side route near goblin camp.

Yosharian

Arcane
Endgame ability scores are ridiculous. You can get 24 in STR. Lol.
24 STR is lightweight, especially when compared to 3.5.
I'm not comparing it to 3.5E, I'm comparing it to 5E
I keep forgetting what's the attribute max in 5E.
30?
You can't raise an ability score past 20, there are items in 5E that raise scores past that, and that's normal, but what I'm referring to here is being able to raise the score to 24 without any item slots being taken up at all, this is just using ASIs and permanent free bonuses from quests and such

Yosharian

Arcane
cloud giant elixirs are pretty common and pump your str to 27. think I had around 10 of those before spamming em in act 3
never bothered to use weapon coatings but since elixirs last till long rest those were easy to use
That's fair I guess but I always forget to use consumables lol

volklore

Arcane

I think the general idea is: finish all the underdark and grymforge/ancient forge stuff, stop short at the grymforge elevator that will eventually lead to Moonrise Towers (it's fairly close to the start of the grymforge area), then go back and do the mountain pass (which leads to gith creche in Lathander monastery), then either continue to Moonrise Towers from that zone, or go back to the grymforge elevator and go from there. I'm exactly at that point now, and will probably go via the grymforge elevator.
Hmm okay. I did the monastery before going to the underdark as It seemed to be the main ''find a cure'' quest I didn't do yet since Halsin pretty much tells to go to moonrise either through the underdark or the shadowlands. Definitely had some weird Lae'zel dialog kind of ignoring what happened at the creche.
Also speaking of small story incoherences,
Despite the fact that shadowheart has that gith artefact the whole time, Lae'zel barely comments about it at all. Given how those two start out constantly fighting that seemed weird to me. I found out via youtube those two are supposed to have a fight in the camp about it, but I never triggered that event at all.

Last edited:

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Hmm okay. I did the monastery before going to the underdark as It seemed to be the main ''find a cure'' quest I didn't do yet since Halsin pretty much tells to go to moonrise either through the underdark or the shadowlands. Definitely had some weird Lae'zel dialog kind of ignoring what happened at the creche.
Also speaking of small story incoherences,
Despite the fact that shadowheart has that gith artefact the whole time, Lae'zel barely comments about it at all. Given how those two start out constantly fighting that seemed weird to me. I found out via youtube those two are supposed to have a fight in the camp about it, but I never triggered that event at all.

Yeah, I was tempted by that as the most logical path given the represented urgency of the tadpole business. I'm just so easily distracted that I got distracted by the several entrances to the Underdark, and explored that first, eventually stumbling across the boat that takes you to grymforge.

My sense of it is that while they probably did an amazing job with the mare's nest of entangled conditionals on paper, there are enough bugs in the system that some of the theoretical resolutions aren't working out as they should sometimes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom