Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 - tips, tricks & helpful information

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
A good way for some extra exp is to first solve something diplomatically and then kill the other group afterward for combat exp anyway

volklore

Arcane
The grym fight was a bit of a letdown..
seems like the game wants you to use the forge to get him down or at least use bludgeoning weapons (I didn't have any). He has a ton of health but he doesn't do any damage so I just kept spanking him with slashing weapons, healed a bit here and there, and that was it.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
The grym fight was a bit of a letdown..
seems like the game wants you to use the forge to get him down or at least use bludgeoning weapons (I didn't have any). He has a ton of health but he doesn't do any damage so I just kept spanking him with slashing weapons, healed a bit here and there, and that was it.
Even if you don't engage the intended gimmicky way, you still have to work with the other two mechanics: Grym attacking whoever last attacked him, and the lava melting away his armor for a turn.
There's also an achievement for killing him without using the forge hammer.

A good way for some extra exp is to first solve something diplomatically and then kill the other group afterward for combat exp anyway
ActI.JPG

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Brothers I have found some combos that break the game in half and I just don't see how Larian are going to fix them lol
Owlbear druid has a leap that does damage, without damaging the druid.
Weight increases fall damage.
Fill your inventory with barrels and junk and jump from a high place == big damage.
Build a skyscraper of crates, climb on top of it, and jump while carrying your entire camp's inventory one shots bosses.

Should this be "fixed"? No, almost nobody would do this who isn't also clearly working towards it and enjoying it. This existing is never a bad thing, its only either irrelevant or a fun goal.

Zeltak

Educated
Patron
Village Idiot
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Brothers I have found some combos that break the game in half and I just don't see how Larian are going to fix them lol
"GuIsE i HaVe FoUnD a WaY tO bReAk tHe GaME", jfc just basic shit like giving haste to your fighter beats any encounter this game throws at you on tactician. This is not WotR unfair. Please stop pretending like you are some master builder. Your retarded yt clip about legendary items are completely irrelevant as well. When you can get access to these items your characters are already facerolling everything anyways by their level alone.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Fill your inventory with barrels and junk and jump from a high place == big damage.
Build a skyscraper of crates, climb on top of it, and jump while carrying your entire camp's inventory one shots bosses.

Should this be "fixed"? No, almost nobody would do this who isn't also clearly working towards it and enjoying it. This existing is never a bad thing, its only either irrelevant or a fun goal.
I love that you can do it in the game, same with shoving enemies into a chasm. Also I avoid doing any of these things, as they would rob me of the fun of doing it properly.

Yosharian

Arcane
Hmm I'm not really in agreement here because some abilities are just not working as intended

But I do get the point you're trying to make

Yosharian

Arcane
So Swords Bard has a flourish ability which allows the player to target two enemies and hit them both by expending a bardic inspiration die.

However in BG3 you can just target the same monster repeatedly

Somebody realised that by exploiting this and the item Helmet of Arcane Acuity, which boosts your spell DC by 1 every time you damage an enemy, you can gain ridiculous amounts of spell DC

Then you use the Band of the Mystic Scoundrel to cast Hold Monster with a bonus action, and boom any target in the whole game (that isn't immune to paralyze anyway) is instantly paralyzed and will start getting critted to oblivion, and they can't escape because the spell DC has reached 20 billion from all the flourish spam

Yosharian

Arcane
On an entirely unrelated note, I need to hear from you if you have used WYLL THE WARLOCK as a main party member in your games

I want to know if he ever specifically refers to himself as a Warlock or uses the word Warlock in conversation.

It's a minor thing but I'm just curious because I'm considering devoting all his levels to Swords Bard instead of having 3 of them be Warlock

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I want to know if he ever specifically refers to himself as a Warlock or uses the word Warlock in conversation.
I've taken him out on missions where I think his character or a warlock in general would have something interesting to say.
He talks about contracts in regards to Raphael, deals with devils and demons, etc, but I don't remember him calling himself a warlock.
He does however often refer to himself as The Blade, and talks about his sword. So I think it would be a good fit. 3 Warlock - rest into Swords Bard seems like it would be his most fitting build.

Yosharian

Arcane
He talks about contracts in regards to Raphael, deals with devils and demons, etc, but I don't remember him calling himself a warlock.
That's it then, you're a fucking Swords Bard now Wyll, deal with it bitch

I know the occasional 'Warlock' tag will come up in convos if I control him but im not really planning on using him as the face so I don't really care

Yosharian

Arcane
Dual Wielder feat is meta for primary spellcasters because it allows them to dual-wield quarterstaves which stack +1 spell DC, arcane battery, etc

it also gives +1 AC just because why not

Longes

Augur
Dual Wielder feat is meta for primary spellcasters because it allows them to dual-wield quarterstaves which stack +1 spell DC, arcane battery, etc
No it doesn't? Staves are tagged as Main Hand Only. You can't dual wield them even with the feat.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
seems like initiative roll is d4 instead of d20
alert feat even more busted now my whole team had it and pretty much never did not get a turn before every enemy
also makes dumping dex even more punishing now (without feat)

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So Swords Bard has a flourish ability which allows the player to target two enemies and hit them both by expending a bardic inspiration die.

Seems like Larian has been working on fixing stuff like this, so who knows how much longer...

jackofshadows

Magister
alert feat even more busted now my whole team had it and pretty much never did not get a turn before every enemy
Then again, you can stack items with +initiative rolls on character who needs it (control casters say) instead. That said, I took alert on 2 or 3 chars myself on 12 lvl because there's no need in asi or saving throw advantages at that point thanks to plenty of op items.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

There are some quite hilarious videos of dropbears one-popping adamantine golem

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
Then again, you can stack items with +initiative rolls on character who needs it (control casters say) instead. That said, I took alert on 2 or 3 chars myself on 12 lvl because there's no need in asi or saving throw advantages at that point thanks to plenty of op items.
yeah there were few items that increase initiative act 2 had good shield with +3 and stuff.

but its such a nice qol not to care about enemy ambushes and exploring while not hiding since it dont matter much (unless u want to get ambush round)

Yosharian

Arcane
No it doesn't? Staves are tagged as Main Hand Only. You can't dual wield them even with the feat.
Gee I must have just fucking imagined the last ten minutes of my life then where I literally tested it in-game and it works

Yosharian

Arcane

Seems like Larian has been working on fixing stuff like this, so who knows how much longer...
Im sceptical myself but I hope they do start nerfing some of the more ridiculous stuff

I just had a conversation with someone in Discord, apparently a Sorcerer casting Ray of Frost is a meta build because there are so many items in the game that boost cantrip damage that it can do 200+ DPR on a wet target

Longes

Augur
Gee I must have just fucking imagined the last ten minutes of my life then where I literally tested it in-game and it works
Pics or didn't happen.

Yosharian

Arcane
Pics or didn't happen.
Alternative: you go fuck yourself :smug:

Yosharian

Arcane
So I just found out that Savage Attacker is apparently rolling all damage dice with adv, so when you use it with a smite for example all the smite dice get rolled with adv

When you have a ton of damage dice being rolled on your attack it's actually almost as good as GWM but, you know, free

Gonna test it in a bit

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom