Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 - tips, tricks & helpful information

Mortmal

Arcane
Yep, returning to Balthazar at level 8 and with a few new pieces of gear made the fight a cakewalk. Overkilled it with poison/necro resistance potions, and got the early jump on him with Lae'zel. One tough decision later, I'm going back to the tower and HUNGER OF HADAR HUNGER OF HADAR HUNGER OF HADAR HUNGER OF HADAR HUNGER OF HADAR HUNGER OF HADAR HUNGER OF HADAR HUNGER OF HADAR HUNGER OF HADAR HUNGER OF HADAR HUNGER OF HADAR HUNGER OF HADAR HUNGER OF HADAR HUNGER OF HADAR HUNGER OF HADAR HUNGER OF HADAR HUNGER OF HADAR HUNGER OF HADAR HUNGER OF HADAR HUNGER OF HADAR HUNGER OF HADAR HUNGER OF HADAR HUNGER OF HADAR
yes , but you can forbid some of it with psionic backlash or just cast silence, a very useful spell or even ability most of time.

Mortmal

Arcane
How did you guys kill Auntie?

I did it in two attempts. On the first one my party was lvl 4 (Human Paladin, Shadowheart, Laezel, Gale), mostly with expended spells, and not in full health. I hit her hard twice, took her to about half health. She cast invisibility. I cast water on top of her. I hit her once more, she teleported away. By that time the redcaps had caught up with me and the melee ones were fucking me up due to bloodrage giving them 3 attacks.

On the second attempt I had restored everyone to full health with a short rest, buffed them with Aid, Bless, and I had Laezel use drow poison on her greataxe. This time I managed to kill Auntie before she could teleport, because I dumped my two melee chars damage on her, plus a magic missle cast from scroll. Also I had Laezel debilitate her with some of her fighter abilities, so next time I was going to hit her she was on prone and Laezel had 100% hit chance... The redcaps weren't too difficult to deal with after that the spiritual weapon I summoned also helped.

All this is happening on Balanced difficulty BTW.

Anyway, I have a lingering feeling that I cheesed the combat by prebuffing, and I'm curious how did it go for you?
Stealthed the entire party to descend, evaded the girl's line of sight, triggered the cage mechanism—though there was no cutscene—initiating the fight from a more advantageous position. From there, I could swiftly eliminate each clone using ranged attacks, and eventually, Auntie morphed into the girl before teleporting and swapping her position. This strategy made it easier to locate her and bring her down

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The redcap fight was harder for me than the auntie fight. There are no redcaps in the (intended) Auntie fight.
About the Hag and the whole "save the girl" quest.

The brothers attacked me for standing up for the old lady who was kind to me earlier.
But I had my suspicions about her, so instead of killing those two young fools, I just disabled them with nothlethal damage.

And I can even tell so Mayriam-or-whatshername, something along the line "your brothers are not dead, but I knocked them out".
It looks like it's a bug though, as the girl starts crying murder that everyone is dead and this animation repeats twice.

Does anyone know if it's possible to keep the brothers alive and the quest can get a better ending?

vitellus

the irascible
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
returning to Balthazar at level 8 and with a few new pieces of gear
i came here since i tried like three times and got him down to 6 hp but his teleporting and shitty rolls fucked that jaunt
Overkilled it with poison/necro resistance potions
and here, my tendency to forget i actually have shit to use will make this shit a faceroll since i tried to brute force it first, then second was actually a long rest and guardian spirit usage and liberal usage of bless got me to the 6hp.

also, pickpocketing that boss you can snag that haste potion so he can't use it, as well as that bell but using that in combat has yet to yield a result.

Mojobeard

Augur
I sniped the redcaps after passing the perception check for the bog. Brothers were dead (spoke to their corpses and they actually warn you if you didn't pass the check). You can probably spare the masked guys, but I don't care for stealth.
Killed the hag at level 3, using an ice arrow to extinguish the cage. Magic Missile, crossbow, acid/fire throwable surfaces for the copies. Then just absolutely murdered her with my berserker and Lae'zel. Probably had Bless on. Actually killed her twice because I had heard about the hag hair in EA, which I unashamedly googled for the second try (leave her at low hp and wait for her turn).
Resurrected the husband and sent them on their way.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Not sure about Featherfall as a pre-buff for combat since big jumps have Prone to worry about too. Expeditious costs concentration so that seems like potion for Fighter. Not sure about triple-jump.

Featherfall is very useful in Underdark s combat, especially against hook horrors and Duergars that try to push you down all the time.
Triple jump is highly situtational but pretty good for suprising some casters and archers.
Expeditious Retreat I never use, triple jump is much better for getting closer.

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Just now found out that dungeons have different camps than the surface, with minor loot and unique gimmicks.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Yep, returning to Balthazar at level 8 and with a few new pieces of gear made the fight a cakewalk. Overkilled it with poison/necro resistance potions, and got the early jump on him with Lae'zel. One tough decision later, I'm going back to the tower and HUNGER OF HADAR HUNGER OF HADAR HUNGER OF HADAR HUNGER OF HADAR HUNGER OF HADAR HUNGER OF HADAR HUNGER OF HADAR HUNGER OF HADAR HUNGER OF HADAR HUNGER OF HADAR HUNGER OF HADAR HUNGER OF HADAR HUNGER OF HADAR HUNGER OF HADAR HUNGER OF HADAR HUNGER OF HADAR HUNGER OF HADAR HUNGER OF HADAR HUNGER OF HADAR HUNGER OF HADAR HUNGER OF HADAR HUNGER OF HADAR HUNGER OF HADAR
yes , but you can forbid some of it with psionic backlash or just cast silence, a very useful spell or even ability most of time.

I counterspelled the key ones and for the ones that went through I just went hard on Concentration-breaking. Even though enemies are actually kind of good at keeping Concentration on Tactician.

However it's one of the only areas where I had to use the stealth mechanics, partly because the quest bugged (wulbren and the tieflings started running back towards the fight instead of towards the boat no matter how many times I reloaded, so I basically had to kill everyone in the whole place before starting the escape sequence). If you take on every enemy in the prison in one big melee, it's sure top be top3 tough fights in the game.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
stealth is kinda bugged for example in act 3 I killed everyone in one house with explosive barrels and shit and no alert from guards but after fight looting corpses while hidden they barge in :-D

act 3 has quite many obvious items that make respeccing tempting
23 con amulet
23 str gloves

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Also kudos to the item design team. My dual wielding ranger/barbarian is currently wielding a Trident and a Mace because those are the best one-handers I've found :lol:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
stealth is kinda bugged for example in act 3 I killed everyone in one house with explosive barrels and shit and no alert from guards but after fight looting corpses while hidden they barge in :-D

act 3 has quite many obvious items that make respeccing tempting
23 con amulet
23 str gloves
23 Str? As in set Str to 23? Or add 3 points?

...if the former, that could actually nicely power up some Battlemaster maneuvers on my feeble Warlock.

:philosoraptor:

Last edited:

volklore

Arcane
Speedy lightfeet are insteresting hmm. Wonder how it would do on EK Lae'zel with expeditious retreat or Eagleheart barb. Dash every round to stack charges, create water and get a lot of extra lightning dmg.
Also found an item that allows jumping for free after dashing. Sounds like a pretty crazy hit and run char. Or to set up the jumping attack on the eagleheart barb (although the action econ is weird with rage taking the bonus action, my biggest gripe with the barb rage powers, maybe there's a way to get more than 1 bonus action smh).

Also I think I bugged the auntie stuff. I kept hidden when going through the wooden enchanted door in her lair and I could free the girl without triggering any fight, but she didn't want to leave alone and the quest stayed stuck there. I guess I'll reload a save.

Last edited:

volklore

Arcane
Btw does bg3 have the merchant system of DoS2 where a lot of their stash is randomized and resets on lvl up or something ?

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
pretty sure merchants change/restock some consumable items after long rest

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Has anyone played with the Sorrow Glaive, its Thorn Whips Bonus Action spell and Polearm Master feat?
Can you reliably pull enemies into Polearm Master Reaction AoO attack reach to score an extra attack this way?

I'm a bit torn which feat to pick first: Polearm Master, Great Weapon Master (would be particularly neat versus Held or Sleeping enemies) or maybe Sentinel...

Might pick all 3 eventually...

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
ironically, this game is like the poster child of why item rarity colours are a sham and totally superflous in a game with good itemization

this game's item design is so good you're not often just looking for raw power but for synergy and character appropriateness, meaning a green item might be way more powerful than a purple one

this means the color coding of items in this game is actually misleading and pointless - you shouldn't ever consider it to be an indication of an items power *except* for weapons, where it seems like it mostly just itendifies enhancement (which is *very* important in a game with so few to hit bonuses)

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
ironically, this game is like the poster child of why item rarity colours are a sham and totally superflous in a game with good itemization
Even in Divinity OS games, you'd often keep a very basic item around, if it gave you the right spell. I kept those meme teleport gloves from the crocodiles all game long, and they drop from what could be your very first fight after the tutorial.

Barbarian

Arcane
Lots of missing info on tooltips. For instance weapon coatings - how many rounds/attacks do they last?

Deathstalker mantle has been nerfed btw. No longer gives expertise to stealth. Sucks because I planned my build around it and will have to pick stealth expertise at level 6th.

Still, invisibility for two rounds after killing enemies is great.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Even in Divinity OS games, you'd often keep a very basic item around, if it gave you the right spell. I kept those meme teleport gloves from the crocodiles all game long, and they drop from what could be your very first fight after the tutorial.

DOS2 literally made me quit due to its atrocious item design. I just wrote about it in the other thread

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom