Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 - tips, tricks & helpful information

Voids

Augur
I'm playing fighter rogue but have never played 5e before. Any tips on how to build it? R6/f6? Medium armor mastery or go just straight ability score increases for feats? I'm running r4/f2 currently and he's decent so far.
You should really get that extra attack at Fighter level 5 ASAP IMO.
I'd even consider respeccing?

Also what subclasses? I guess Thief gets an extra Bonus Action, so can make +1 offhand attack at least.
I went with assassin. i basically get 2 sneak attacks at the beginning of combat. for fighter not sure yet, maybe battle master.

Yup, having tons of fun with it.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel rogue or wizard/sorcerer is the scholarly way to play this. Fighter must be somewhat popamole at higher levels with the several attacks.

Run. Smack. Smack again. Run and smack. Smack multiple times until enemy dead. Repeat.

With rogue you have that one decisive strike that can one-shot powerful enemies. That and the bonus actions that facilitate navigating the enviroment and using it to your favor.

Also nobody talks about how powerful uncanny dodge is. Halving damage means in practice you feel like having barbarian levels of hp pool.
Right? skipping R5 for F2 on my last level up was really hard but i want to at least get to F3 for battle master.

notpl

Arbiter
I'm playing fighter rogue but have never played 5e before. Any tips on how to build it? R6/f6? Medium armor mastery or go just straight ability score increases for feats? I'm running r4/f2 currently and he's decent so far.

Also what subclasses? I guess Thief gets an extra Bonus Action, so can make +1 offhand attack at least.
I went with assassin. i basically get 2 sneak attacks at the beginning of combat. for fighter not sure yet, maybe battle master.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel rogue or wizard/sorcerer is the scholarly way to play this. Fighter must be somewhat popamole at higher levels with the several attacks.

Run. Smack. Smack again. Run and smack. Smack multiple times until enemy dead. Repeat.

With rogue you have that one decisive strike that can one-shot powerful enemies. That and the bonus actions that facilitate navigating the enviroment and using it to your favor.

Also nobody talks about how powerful uncanny dodge is. Halving damage means in practice you feel like having barbarian levels of hp pool.
The trouble is rogues simply don't "one-shot" anything past level 3-4. A level 12 rogue's sneak attack, even on a crit, isn't even entering the ballpark of a fighter/paladin/barbarian going full sicko mode. Rogues are not the kings of burst damage in 5e, not even close.

Barbarian

Arcane

The trouble is rogues simply don't "one-shot" anything past level 3-4. A level 12 rogue's sneak attack, even on a crit, isn't even entering the ballpark of a fighter/paladin/barbarian going full sicko mode. Rogues are not the kings of burst damage in 5e, not even close.

Maybe. I don't care about min-maxing and munchkin builds that much. Specially because in this particular game, where even the highest difficulty isn't that challenging, I assume the balacing would get obliterated. I also legit care about roleplaying and thematic consistency.

Finishing chapter 1 and managed to get past everything thrown at me on tactician(though I know that isn't saying much). There are tons of poisons, potions and bombs with interesting strategic use, and the environments are mostly well designed with several useful interactions as well.

I don't know if I would have bothered with much of that If say I was playing with a martial focused party. It would have been buff/run/smack all over - which reminds me why this game is so incredibly superior to the pathfinder games and that infinite and boring cycle of 20 something buffing your party before every scene.

Barbarian

Arcane

Right? skipping R5 for F2 on my last level up was really hard but i want to at least get to F3 for battle master.

You should pure class bro. Unless you are insistent on some Artemis Entreri build or something. 3 levels of fighter you will lose 2d6 sneak damage every turn + getting u.dodge and evasion early in exchange for fighting style, action surge and maneuvers. I think the 2d6 and early 5th level power creep beats it. Also unless you take 4 levels of fighter you miss one asi/feat(and then you lose another 1d6 sneak damage dice).

_V_

Scholar
Well, after lots fiddling around, I finally found a build that I like. 1 lvl bard, rest fighter. And I actually took the bard lvl first. One lvl in bard opens speaking with animals, longstride and friendship while making sleight of hand available as a proficiency.
Yes, I sacrifice a feat and I'm always a level behind when getting extra attacks, feats and indominable... But I have a viable character out of combat (talker/lockpick) whom I can still play as a "normal" fighter and who should be (almost) on par with a straight fighter a level 12.
So I disagree that a dip "has" to happen after lvl 5/6 or at the very end ;)

Grats, you made a (worse) Ranger.
Thx, I wasn't aware rangers get action surge, three attacks per round with two-handed weapons, "Friends" as a cantrip, "Healing Word", indomitable (and heavy armor as a default). You could have saved me a lot of time, if you'd told me earlier.

Anyway, tavern brawler works with druid shape shifts. (And was pretty awesome on the bear.) Savage attack also works. (I think. Didn't show in the combat log but all attacks did close to max dmg. Didn't test much though, since tavern brawler seems to be clearly superior.)
Monks unarmed defense doesn't fully apply. For example as a bear you get +3 from unarmed defense and -2 from unarmed defense. I'm not sure if it's a bug or if it simply doesn't stack with natural armor. (The same way, monk and barbarian unarmed defense don't stack.)
You also don't have access to flurry of blows while shifted. Equipment that triggers off of unarmed attacks (e.g. bracers that build up lightning charges, the pugilist staff) doesn't trigger. The boots that give you lightning charges when you dash also don't trigger while shifted.
So if equipment bonuses do not appy to shifted, that's unfortunate. Hope they reconsider that in a later patch...

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Is it possible to speed up combat in some way? I'm going insane over here.
The good old cheat engine speedhack. Solasta was almost unplayable w/o it and now BG3 is possible even more in some cases (the miconid possible global fight for example). Turning it on from time to time and highly recommend to.
Unfortunately won't work for me because I'm playing on GeForce now...:/

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Thx, I wasn't aware rangers get action surge, three attacks per round with two-handed weapons, "Friends" as a cantrip, "Healing Word", indomitable (and heavy armor as a default). You could have saved me a lot of time, if you'd told me earlier.
There is a great deal you're not aware of. Welcome to the club. Game just launched. Gith gets all that a level earlier than you do and you can get the rest (Healing Word lol) from your team (if you need it). Use them.

Ranger gets... some things you're not aware of, including Bear tank with taunt on top of the skills and its own attacks. Using Ensnaring rn which gets advantage on application and gives advantage to anything hitting the mob (while immobilizing it).

John Keel

Savant
Alright guys, I dont know shite about 5E nor do I have the time and interest to deep dive into it, godamn fucking newborn.

PLZ, suggest some complete & "detailed" viable bard build (it's still the best skillmonkey in this POS Edition for a main character right ?) cause dem internets are full of non-sense.

I trust some of you to deliver (Yosh , Desi & some randos knowledgeable faggots from old Wotr/DOS2 threads).

This is a call for help, a tincture thrown at the sea, I have this game installed since 2 days and can't go past char creation due to 5E & Larian faggotery :'(

notpl

Arbiter
Alright guys, I dont know shite about 5E nor do I have the time and interest to deep dive into it, godamn fucking newborn.

PLZ, suggest some complete & "detailed" viable bard build (it's still the best skillmonkey in this POS Edition for a main character right ?) cause dem internets are full of non-sense.

I trust some of you to deliver (Yosh , Desi & some randos knowledgeable faggots from old Wotr/DOS2 threads).

This is a call for help, a tincture thrown at the sea, I have this game installed since 2 days and can't go past char creation due to 5E & Larian faggotery :'(
Best bard you can play - possibly the best spellcaster in general - is just a straight cha-maxed college of lore bard. Charisma is a better main stat than Intelligence, Bards in 5e get full spell progression rather than the partial from previous editions, and the college of lore specifically lets them select four spells from any other spell list (wizard, cleric, druid - whatever) to add to their suite, as well as impose an almost insurmountable penalty on enemy saving throws, making them by far the best CC class in the game.

John Keel

Savant
I already have a page up with some info. Can't claim that the builds are the best ever or anything but i think theyre decent
Link pls ?

Best bard you can play - possibly the best spellcaster in general - is just a straight cha-maxed college of lore bard. Charisma is a better main stat than Intelligence, Bards in 5e get full spell progression rather than the partial from previous editions, and the college of lore specifically lets them select four spells from any other spell list (wizard, cleric, druid - whatever) to add to their suite, as well as impose an almost insurmountable penalty on enemy saving throws, making them by far the best CC class in the game.
Alright, but isnt there bullshit like with multiclassing you can learn spells from any classes with only 1 lvl ?
Is UMD still in 5E/BG3 ?

Also, what's the best race/background (whatever its called) & stat distribution for a B3 cha based bard ?

Apologize for looking like a needy bitch, I really dont have time to research any of this :'(

notpl

Arbiter
I already have a page up with some info. Can't claim that the builds are the best ever or anything but i think theyre decent
Link pls ?

Alright, but isnt there bullshit like with multiclassing you can learn spells from any classes with only 1 lvl ?
Is UMD still in 5E/BG3 ?

Also, what's the best race/background (whatever its called) & stat distribution for a B3 cha based bard ?

Apologize for looking like a needy bitch, I really dont have time to research any of this :'(
I think that bug was only for wizards, not the other way around, but I could be wrong. Either way, it's a bug - if it's still in the game, expect it to be fixed at some point, and if you want to preserve any concept of balance or challenge you should ignore it.

Use Magic Device is a class feature some rogues get, not a skill and not relevant to bards.

Stat bonuses are free-floating in this and you can pick any race you like and assign +2 cha. Secondary stat should be constitution, since spellcasters have to roll concentration to maintain spells much more in 5e than they did in previous editions, and it's a constitution check.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
unless it got fixed dipping 1 level into wizard lets you learn any spell from scroll (if u got slot for that level) which is pretty hard to pass if u want to min max bard
but I would not worry about it too much pure lore bard should be fine tested it a bit with hireling at lvl 8. for other bard subclasses I would probably do a dip or two

Yosharian

Arcane
Link pls ?

Is UMD still in 5E/BG3 ?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3004617792

Desiderius

Patron

It’s going to feel weak at first (tho the damage + disadvantage cantrip is better than it looks) but once your number of Inspirations doubles it should really go off since there’s equipment that buffs your Inspirations.

Want to make sure each character has a good reaction/concentration/long rest/short rest/spam/bonus option to keep action econ full and Bard has nice reaction in Cutting Words.

As for skill monkey pay attention to what your other characters that you want in the party already have and fill in the blanks. Perception is the main thing to make sure you’ve got covered. If you don’t want to bring Asstarion (and you like Sneaking and Stealing) Bard can cover that too.

unless it got fixed dipping 1 level into wizard lets you learn any spell from scroll (if u got slot for that level) which is pretty hard to pass if u want to min max bard
but I would not worry about it too much pure lore bard should be fine tested it a bit with hireling at lvl 8. for other bard subclasses I would probably do a dip or two

Bard already has full action econ and really wants those lvls to fill out the Inspiration progression etc.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
My other son wanted to main Shadowheart so he has classic Cleric/Thief/Wiz/Fighter party which has some good synergies (Trickster Domain buffs Asstarion even more) and probably maxxes out the interparty reaction options.

Made Gale a Diviner - Portent dice are a very interesting mechanic and he can just use throwable consumables to supplement early action econ until his casts come in.

(Shield spell also really good reaction).

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron

BM is awesome. Loving Riposte. Short Rest refreshing abilities are very good fit for the amount of combat there is. Suggests that Warlock should be good too.

Start out with the attack that gives disadvantage if target attacks anything but the BM, the Riposte triggers when it attacks you and misses.

Last edited:

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Bruh that Balthazar fight. Fucker 420 n0_sc0p3s a party member 3 attempts in a row. I'm looking at the dice, it shouldn't happen with such regularity, yet it does.
Also his minions killing party members by reducing their HP to zero with big meaty hits, and then casting a debuff preventing healing....

Might have to reload an earlier safe and try to level up once more. First time I am in a fight that looks completely desperate.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
all dice manipulations are pretty busted (divination + lucky) really has trivialized couple harder fights

Mortmal

Arcane
Bruh that Balthazar fight. Fucker 420 n0_sc0p3s a party member 3 attempts in a row. I'm looking at the dice, it shouldn't happen with such regularity, yet it does.
Also his minions killing party members by reducing their HP to zero with big meaty hits, and then casting a debuff preventing healing....

Might have to reload an earlier safe and try to level up once more. First time I am in a fight that looks completely desperate.
Yet, there are those who will boast that it's too easy. You need to take him down quickly, and Larian knows their classics, as he frequently use Cloud Kill while sending more undead minions. These minions often attempt to push you over the ledge, and if you have low initiative, it's already game over. Additionally, you might be underleveled since you can easily miss out on content and quests that provide a lot of XP just by discovering them. Following the evil path and the drider guide you dont get to meet harpers and their quests for exemple.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Additionally, you might be underleveled since you can easily miss out on content and quests that provide a lot of XP just by discovering them. Following the evil path and the drider guide you dont get to meet harpers and their quests for exemple.
I talked my way through the mini-boss encounters - the Barkeep, the Toll collector, the Surgeon, and Raphael's friend. I'm guessing I might've missed on experience there. I'm level 7 going into this.

Mortmal

Arcane
Additionally, you might be underleveled since you can easily miss out on content and quests that provide a lot of XP just by discovering them. Following the evil path and the drider guide you dont get to meet harpers and their quests for exemple.
I talked my way through the mini-boss encounters - the Barkeep, the Toll collector, the Surgeon, and Raphael's friend. I'm guessing I might've missed on experience there. I'm level 7 going into this.
In my playthrough, no barkeep nor toll collector so i went around 7 too in that fight got to 8 after it and almost reached 9 by the end of act 2. There's 2 harder fights than this one after balthazar.

Mortmal

Arcane
What i remember contributed the most was shadowhart wielding the blood of lathander and the spirit guardian spell. Astarion and gale were downed very fast and contributed nothing.

Last edited:

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Astarion and gale were downed very fast and contributed nothing.
I brought these two fuckers as well, and in my game they took turns dying on turn 1.
Looks like I need to rework the party, maybe respec and requip people for more durability. Stealth is useless in that encounter, range is also hard to keep, and there's nowhere to Misty Step to. Lots of immune to poison, lots of resistant to piercing. Just not how I've been fighting so far.
I also don't know what blood of lathander is, I'm guessing some weapon (no spoilers pls). I'll explore the map to see if I can get to 8, maybe get some better weapons, maybe put a shield on Shadowheart again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom