Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 - tips, tricks & helpful information

volklore

Arcane
What's the rule on surprise rounds? Do you automatically get them if you open from stealth? I got one surprise round on the bugbear assassin in the grove but it assume that's scripted.
Having played a bit more yesterday, got to lvl 3, I kinda want to grab ''alert'' on almost everyone at some point (not playing with any high dex char) although idk if as first feat or not. I heard you get gear that set certain stats to 18 so maybe i'll skip it on whoever get the dex one. I like to do combos with characters and set up big power turns and initiative order can really screw that up. With no ability to delay turns, seems like winning it on everyone is the best way to ensure good turn order.

I picked wolfheart on my barb, but so far berserker would have been strictly better, things die fast for now so the extra support from wolf rage did not matter as much (things died straight up or initiative order was set in a way that setting it up was awkward) as a bonus action throw or attack. At the same time, I haven't taken a long rest yet so I am not raging that much. I went diviner on gale, portent dice are cool but 2 per long rest makes it a bit heh, if if find good way of dealing lightning/cold dmg on other chars, maybe i'll make him a conjurer instead. I might look at transmuter too... i don't know how common potion ingredients are, but haste potions are insane, double crafting them sounds kinda good as well, especially when trying to minimize rests which seems to be the way the get the most fun out of the game.

Anyway, good early game encounters so far, if a bit on the easy side even on tactician.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm wondering which Fighter subclass to pick for my Warlock MC.
Debating between Battlemaster and Champion. Increased crit range would be nice indeed, if a bit one-note. Even with Pact of the Blade making attack & damage using Charisma, I guess the combat maneuvers, such as Pushing and Tripping Attack, still use Str/Dex for the checks? If so, most of them would be of little use to me, I guess. What about Menacing Attack?

Last edited:

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
battlemaster on paper looks way better than other subclasses to me + more interesting than champion
precision attack + riposte are wonderful so far thats been 95% of my charges (lvl 10.x now)

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
A very serious question - does anyone know of a way to check your character gender outside of chargen?

Read several posts about people choosing wrong options somewhere, don't want to play for 20 hours and suddenly find out I need to reroll.

Considering the gender setup is smudged over various options & windows & unchained from the looks so no visual confirmation.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Well, I'm considering conjuring, say, a Cloud of Daggers and pushing enemies escaping from it back inside.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
A very serious question - does anyone know of a way to check your character gender outside of chargen?

Read several posts about people choosing wrong options somewhere, don't want to play for 20 hours and suddenly find out I need to reroll.

Considering the gender setup is smudged over various options & windows & unchained from the looks so no visual confirmation.
remove clothes?

Barbarian

Arcane
So about the Necronomicum I mean "Necromancy of Thay":

I managed to pass the 3 saves because of resilient/wisdom save proficiency, got a nice little feat out of it, but the quest isn't completed and apparently you can read it further. Anyone figured out how?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

I managed to pass the 3 saves because of resilient/wisdom save proficiency, got a nice little feat out of it, but the quest isn't completed and apparently you can read it further. Anyone figured out how?

I don't think there's any advancement there before Act 3 (and would be a good bet it involves a certain red wizard?). At least, I found no progression for it in Act 2.

I will say though that the +1 to Wisdom checks really helped as a durge :lol:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I think it said something about the rest being locked and that to open it you have to find a key or something?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

The game doesn't have gender at all. It only has body types and genital types. So you can literally see whether you made the right choice by taking off your clothes.

There are no gender checks within the game at all and it will never be referenced (because it doesn't exist).

Irxy

Arcane

remove clothes?
Genitalia and gender are different things in this game, so your char may have a penis but npcs will still refer to him as "she" if you've chosen the wrong identity during chargen.
And apparently you can't even check in anywhere.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

remove clothes?
npcs will still refer to him as "she" if you've chosen the wrong identity during chargen.

They do? Maybe I just haven't noticed it (and so my post would be wrong), but to me it seemed like they never reference the MC's sex at all.

Irxy

Arcane

The game doesn't have gender at all. It only has body types and genital types. So you can literally see whether you made the right choice by taking off your clothes.

There are no gender checks within the game at all and it will never be referenced (because it doesn't exist).
Wrong. There is a thing named gender identity or something like that which defines which pronouns npcs will use when talking about your character.
Those are relatively rare but do exist. For example a bunch of druids which guard the grove will say he/she/they etc.
It may be minor but surely annoying and immersion breaking if you missed the gender option during chargen. Which is easy to miss since it is tierd with neither the looks, nor genitalia nor voice.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Wrong. There is a thing named gender identity or something like that which defines which pronouns npcs will use when talking about your character.

I stand corrected then, and now that you say it, I do remember selecting it at chargen. But are you sure it's actually used? I literally can't recall a single reference to my characters sex in game.

volklore

Arcane
What triggers inspiration events ? Game says it's completing background goals but what does that even mean ?
I play dark urge so my background is ''haunted one''
Also anyway to remove the blood visual effects on characters ? It litterally makes the hair of my char red in all dialogue and it pisses me off :D

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
What triggers inspiration events ? Game says it's completing background goals but what does that even mean ?
I play dark urge so my background is ''haunted one''

Check the inspiration pane of your journal. It kind of explains it. But it’s vague and meant to be.

430am

Educated
Also anyway to remove the blood visual effects on characters ? It litterally makes the hair of my char red in all dialogue and it pisses me off :D
I remember I came to the date with Karlach completely drenched in blood from 5 fights and my character's face being disfigured from becoming half-illithid and she's like "Wow, you're looking so good!".

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
But are you sure it's actually used? I literally can't recall a single reference to my characters sex in game.
I can confirm. There was a scene early on that lead to a fight with an owlbear, where a fellow tadpole victim happened to be dying as we passed, my co-op partner's female character did the mindmeld thing and he told his companions "she is a fellow chosen one" or something like that. Then we got his companions as meatshields against the owlbear. I remember it because the "she" was ridiculously drawn out by the voice actor.

Barbarian

Arcane
Fuck you are right. Characters are female by default and I am not sure I changed the option at chargen. There was an occasion where I was refered to as a female but I thought it was a bug.

I will have to restart the game

:mixedemotions:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom