Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 - tips, tricks & helpful information

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Of course, pronouns are very important after all.

Gradenmayer

Learned
A very serious question - does anyone know of a way to check your character gender outside of chargen?

The game doesn't have gender at all. It only has body types and genital types. So you can literally see whether you made the right choice by taking off your clothes.

There are no gender checks within the game at all and it will never be referenced (because it doesn't exist).
Wrong. There is a thing named gender identity or something like that which defines which pronouns npcs will use when talking about your character.

I stand corrected then, and now that you say it, I do remember selecting it at chargen. But are you sure it's actually used? I literally can't recall a single reference to my characters sex in game.
They do quite often, Gale calls you a lady quite often if you pick a female character.

Barbarian

Arcane
Male He/Him all the way bro.

Anyone reading this - be alert for faggotry and gender bender shenanigans at character creator.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
A very serious question - does anyone know of a way to check your character gender outside of chargen?

The game doesn't have gender at all. It only has body types and genital types. So you can literally see whether you made the right choice by taking off your clothes.

There are no gender checks within the game at all and it will never be referenced (because it doesn't exist).
Wrong. There is a thing named gender identity or something like that which defines which pronouns npcs will use when talking about your character.

I stand corrected then, and now that you say it, I do remember selecting it at chargen. But are you sure it's actually used? I literally can't recall a single reference to my characters sex in game.
They do quite often, Gale calls you a lady quite often if you pick a female character.

I can't recall him calling my character that once. Maybe I'm getting senile.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I slaughter everyone and everything, don't care about what or how anyone calling me.
Except goblins, [Dwarf] conversation options while talking to goblins is hilarious and on point.

Last edited:

volklore

Arcane
Ho my, i remember that at chargen I showed my gf the different gender options with a ''sigh, that's where games are at these days...''. I can't fucking remember if I actually changed the gender back to male.
:shredder:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I slaughter everyone and everything, don't care about anyone calling me.
Except goblins, [Dwarf] conversation options while talking to goblins is hilarious and on point.

It's my first time playing an elf in an RPG I think, and it's a massive disappointment. The [Elf] options are extremely bland and the game treats you as a Baldurian anyway.

Gradenmayer

Learned

It's my first time playing an elf in an RPG I think, and it's a massive disappointment. The [Elf] options are extremely bland and the game treats you as a Baldurian anyway.
Well, yeah, these ain’t cannibal elves from D:OS. Should have picked a drow, they have they have the most of race-based interactions.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
There are some really good options for raising caster AC around here. +2 AC bracers, +3 from spider robes and +2 from """Tyr's"""" greatsword, coupled with mage armor, made Will really tanky. I'm thinking to respec him for a little bit to pump his DEX for even more AC.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
portent dice are cool but 2 per long rest makes it a bit heh

They go to Short Rest at lvl 6 and you get more. Looks like they wanted to make the single-class advantage more subtle/balanced with multi but figured out that people would just default to multi so cranked it up a good bit.

be alert for faggotry and gender bender shenanigans at character creator

You can tell that the higher-ups are dialing some of this shit back but all their employees paid out the nose for their garbage educations so things like absurd defaults get grandfathered in. "De-centering" whiteness/maleness/hetero is one the main things that got hammered home so of course default to black female and main face (Gale) does some gay-presenting early (but his art got changed late in development to much more masculine). As with Wrath most of it is up-front for the journo commissars unless you run with it.

Haven't seen that many racial tags in dialogue at all yet, but there will probably be more in the City, especially High Elf. Tactically the Elf racials are subtle but very good. Perception/Stealth/Longbow Prof (wish Asstarion had LB Prof) are all really good, and even SH's Fire Cantrip from Half-Elf lets her light up surfaces and barrels/Nautiloid tanks or whatever at will. Friends is no joke, and you've also got True Strike (watch out for Concentration), Blade Ward, Minor Illusion (use with TB-mode for stealing). Even Acid Splash is AoE and debuffs AC?

Mortmal

Arcane
I thought you have to pick a way to advance from Act I to Act II

This is the most poorly made part of the entire game in my opinion. 90% of people are going to think that from the way it's communicated, but it's the exact opposite: the game *fully* expects you to clear both areas.
Not the most poorly made part of the game, but rather, the evil path is. You don't get much besides Minthara, who is a pretty good vengeance paladin with the ability to fly to boot. However, you're missing out on a good amount of XP by the end, at least one level lost. I really don't recommend taking this path; it's not even satisfying. It doesn't open up much new content either, I'm not sure if it opens any at all, besides minthara everything is probably still possible. Instead, it cuts a lot and you miss out on four companions.

Moreover, the transition from Act 1 to Act 2 is troublesome. It's mandatory to go into the Underdark and clear it, contrary to what they say in the quest journal. You absolutely need to do both.

Gradenmayer

Learned
I thought you have to pick a way to advance from Act I to Act II

This is the most poorly made part of the entire game in my opinion. 90% of people are going to think that from the way it's communicated, but it's the exact opposite: the game *fully* expects you to clear both areas.
Not the most poorly made part of the game, but rather, the evil path is. You don't get much besides Minthara, who is a pretty good vengeance paladin with the ability to fly to boot. However, you're missing out on a good amount of XP by the end, at least one level lost. I really don't recommend taking this path; it's not even satisfying. It doesn't open up much new content either, I'm not sure if it opens any at all, besides minthara everything is probably still possible. Instead, it cuts a lot and you miss out on four companions.

Moreover, the transition from Act 1 to Act 2 is troublesome. It's mandatory to go into the Underdark and clear it, contrary to what they say in the quest journal. You absolutely need to do both.
Minthara is still recruitable in act 2, if you dont kill her in act 1.

volklore

Arcane
Is there a way to reduce the blurfest that is TAA/DLAA? increasing the sharpening doesn't seem to do much there. And SMAA seems very weak.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
There are some really good options for raising caster AC around here. +2 AC bracers, +3 from spider robes and +2 from """Tyr's"""" greatsword, coupled with mage armor, made Will really tanky. I'm thinking to respec him for a little bit to pump his DEX for even more AC.
Armor Bracers stack with Mage Armor?

Gradenmayer

Learned
Is there a way to reduce the blurfest that is TAA/DLAA? increasing the sharpening doesn't seem to do much there.
Just switch off TAA, it always causes console soap effect.
Fucking annoyed by fxaa not being a thing anymore, it looked the best, especially on higher definitions.

Desiderius

Patron
Game is insanely good. Just playing with default companions and there's so much play to it. I think the reason there's so much food early is so you can take advantage of Wiz/Cleric ability to slot spells on the fly situationally and actually use them a decent amount earlyish game. Can slot in combat spells for fights while still using Cantrips/consumables as necessary then sub in social spells for town. Detect Thoughts stays up until rest. Gale is natural face (his Persuasion is good enough* and he gets a lot of INT-based triggers along with Detect Thoughts). Without a Trace on SH stays up until rest too to keep Rogue in the shadows but Guidance will break concentration so works best with looting all the red containers. TB with pickpocketing lets you just Dash everybody away before detection.

* - Friends as cantrip would be nice since Charm Person burns a slot.

Once you learn the Inspirations there are enough to re-roll some dialogue checks and enough bonuses to only need to on very low rolls.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I think the reason there's so much food early

Everyone who says there's too much food aren't considering the purpose of the system at all. It's not there to make sure you only rest between X encounters, it's *only* there to give you a diffuse sense that you can't just willy-nilly longrest between each and every one. It's about the ~*feels*~. That, and it would go totally against Larian's philosophy of total freedom of choice to limit 4-caster parties - and those parties would obviously need to long rest a lot more.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Well, yeah, these ain’t cannibal elves from D:OS

I've played Faerun tabletop D&D for 26 years. They had a lot of options to make more interesting Elf-options than what they did. I expect they just didn't prioritize it very highly.

Desiderius

Patron

Everyone who says there's too much food aren't considering the purpose of the system at all. It's not there to make sure you only rest between X encounters, it's *only* there to give you a diffuse sense that you can't just willy-nilly longrest between each and every one. It's about the ~*feels*~. That, and it would go totally against Larian's philosophy of total freedom of choice to limit 4-caster parties - and those parties would obviously need to long rest a lot more.

Yes it's looking like my main design consideration will be Long Rest vs Short Rest. Haven't figured out whether I want a balance within party or to design parties around it. My sense is that I'll use consumables to make up the shortfall on long-rest classes and plan mostly around short rests. Some key abilities like Portent Dice and Inspirations start out as Long-rest but transition to Short-rest at lvl six.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Yes it's looking like my main design consideration will be Long Rest vs Short Rest. Haven't figured out whether I want a balance within party or to design parties around it. My sense is that I'll use consumables to make up the shortfall on long-rest classes and plan mostly around short rests. Some key abilities like Portent Dice and Inspirations start out as Long-rest but transition to Short-rest at lvl six.

Short rests just ~*feel*~ so nice because you just hit a button and *bam* everything's refreshed and you move on, whereas long rests require a few steps (not many, but enough to make it feel more tedious). I thought I wouldn't give a shit about Song of Rest on my Bard (in this game it just gives +1 short rest), but I gotta say, I've enjoyed going for longer between long rests.

jackofshadows

Magister
Yeah the game is so fucking good - it's insane. Too liitle too much bugs even for my level of tolerance but that's still no big deal.

To stay on topic: do not neglect elixirs and oils, they're useful, I wish I used them more early on, now there's less and less need in them. You can craft plenty of them. However I didn't use the spell slot ones yet so a bit confused: they give empty slots and they stay until long rest... I mean there sure are ways to refill the slots but it's still weird.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
To stay on topic: do not neglect elixirs and oils, they're useful, I wish I used them more early on
As a bard and lacking in damage, I started slinging grenades, reading scrolls, applying oils and chugging potions very early on.
I feel like if you are a party big on damage, you won't learn to use consumables until you hit a wall at some point and check your inventory for a crutch.

jackofshadows

Magister
Is it just me, or charisma do not affect prices? Or they changed it so vendor is simply checking the highest?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom