Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 - tips, tricks & helpful information

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
How is minor illusion working out? I love illusion magic in PnP, and BG series did the school a solid. I am hoping BG3 follows suit, but these spells are very difficult to translate to PC.

It sucked in RT, haven’t tested it yet with TB thieving but should be pretty good. In-combat version will turn the mob to look at it, but haven’t had a chance to test that out much either.

Desiderius

Patron
Pre-buffing didn’t work in D:OS II but evidently does here and with Rituals doesn’t even use a slot. So go into TB, give errybody superjump and go off I guess.

Longstrider lasts until rest anyway.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
That hammer which deals a bit of damage every time you jump has caused me to reload the game more times than any other item, or enemy, or feature, in any game, ever.
Talking to people and suddenly Lae'zel dive bombs from a platform, aggroing the whole town, and IT KEEPS HAPPENING.

Desiderius

Patron
Second-story Work is going to be doing a lot of work I think.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
some of worm powers are pretty great

freecast does not work with action surge sadly
psionic dominance description is wrong, it works even if enemy targets ally
QSCB2nk.png

Berengar

Learned
Start by learning all the shit Larian has changed from 5e. I can only conclude from these changes that the devs plays casters.

https://docs.google.com/document/u/0/d/1YEOShhKLfy5-_CE-KGIyUTPHwZICga70/mobilebasic?pli=1
Solasta was a more faithful adaptation of the rules, but I figure it won't be remembered, by the vast majority of players, as a better crpg than BG3.
Game always felt more like it was for running your own 5e games or something.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Also anyway to remove the blood visual effects on characters ? It litterally makes the hair of my char red in all dialogue and it pisses me off :D
Water will remove the blood/dirt visual effects, either from a water pump or by throwing a water bottle over your characters. Doesn't seem that the plentiful sources of natural water remove it, though. :M

There's also a mod.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
1 small warning regarding worm powers (not story spoiler)
shield of thralls says "possible stunning nearby foes" after you run out of hit points but stuns party too, sadly cant respec out of it all my chars got it

act 3 finally found challenging fight its probably optional
raphael, still trying to beat him :?
edit nvm hold monster is good

Last edited:

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
So I read that unless you long sleep regularly you miss tons of dialogs & may even block various quests, since most camp events are only possible during certain often short time windows and don't stack. Can anyone confirm this is still the case in the release version? In EA I would have apparently missed dozens of scenes by only long sleeping 5 times during act 1 surface part.
Tested a bit and it seems true.
Saw a dozen of new camp dialogs and scenes even before reaching the druid grove by camping 2 more times than necessary.
Nothing critical so far but lots of atmospheric stuff (companions actually distressed and scared after the crash), insights into their characters & general plot, and of course opportunities to get relationship points.
Time windows also seem ridiculous and unpredictable, a very bad design imho. You're pretty much supposed to check the night camp after any minor story development if you don't want to miss anything.
Like didn't sleep several times for no reason while exploring the completely peaceful grove hub location? Sucks to be you.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
You can easly dismiss enemy illusions with throwing random stuff at them. Or magic missile each one of them if you feel like spending a spell. Or just throw a water bottle to the real enemy so you won't lose it even after it casts new illusions.
There are some potions with huge debuffs in Hags lair at the end, they really mess up enemy bosses because only way to get rid of those debuffs is a long rest.
You can throw your druid to enemies if he is shapeshifted into a small enough animal.

I think every one is using candles or torches to dip their weapon in fire? You can also dip your weapon into elemantals or burning enemies.
Water bottles are priceless, you can douse your self or fires easly with them.

Edit: Minor illusion, cat familiars "meow" and bards performances brings all the boys to the yard for aoe damage or pushing them down a cliff. Cat and bard can ony work for non hostiles.
You can loot some of the enemies you pushed down to pits in caves, in Underdark. Which also means
you can use those pits to reach Underdark with Featherfall spell

Last edited:

_V_

Liturgist
Since I didn't find any info online:
What does Unseen Menace do in combat?
What is the effect of invisible weapons?
Well, it's really as poweful as described (which I couldn't believe till I used it). You get advantage on all attacks until you miss. (And then it recharges after two turns.) So until I come upon enemies who see invisible or enemies who are still hard to hit eventhough I have advantage, I can dispense with companions setting up enemies so that I get advantage. In fact, by using trip or distracting attack (and reliably hitting), I can set them up for my companions. But the DC for the combat maneuvers isn't great an so far enemies have been succeeding their saves quite reliably.

Berserker / Thief can use enraged throw (or an extra attack) on his first turn. Just saying.
Enraged Throw also causes Frenzied Strain eventhough it's not in the description.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
So I read that unless you long sleep regularly you miss tons of dialogs & may even block various quests, since most camp events are only possible during certain often short time windows and don't stack. Can anyone confirm this is still the case in the release version? In EA I would have apparently missed dozens of scenes by only long sleeping 5 times during act 1 surface part.
Tested a bit and it seems true.
Saw a dozen of new camp dialogs and scenes even before reaching the druid grove by camping 2 more times than necessary.
Nothing critical so far but lots of atmospheric stuff (companions actually distressed and scared after the crash), insights into their characters & general plot, and of course opportunities to get relationship points.
Time windows also seem ridiculous and unpredictable, a very bad design imho. You're pretty much supposed to check the night camp after any minor story development if you don't want to miss anything.
Like didn't sleep several times for no reason while exploring the completely peaceful grove hub location? Sucks to be you.
Fuck, that is annoying

Yosharian

Arcane
Isn't long resting also prohibitive on Tactician due to increased supply cost? How does that factor in to the 'you must rest to experience the story' issue?

Sounds like bad design

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Isn't long resting also prohibitive on Tactician due to increased supply cost? How does that factor in to the 'you must rest to experience the story' issue?

Sounds like bad design

Supplies are so plentiful you can pretty much rest as much as you want. They're there to make sure you can't literally rest after every fight. Beyond that, you're good. It's a feels thing, not an actually prohibitive thing.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
How did you guys kill Auntie?

I did it in two attempts. On the first one my party was lvl 4 (Human Paladin, Shadowheart, Laezel, Gale), mostly with expended spells, and not in full health. I hit her hard twice, took her to about half health. She cast invisibility. I cast water on top of her. I hit her once more, she teleported away. By that time the redcaps had caught up with me and the melee ones were fucking me up due to bloodrage giving them 3 attacks.

On the second attempt I had restored everyone to full health with a short rest, buffed them with Aid, Bless, and I had Laezel use drow poison on her greataxe. This time I managed to kill Auntie before she could teleport, because I dumped my two melee chars damage on her, plus a magic missle cast from scroll. Also I had Laezel debilitate her with some of her fighter abilities, so next time I was going to hit her she was on prone and Laezel had 100% hit chance... The redcaps weren't too difficult to deal with after that the spiritual weapon I summoned also helped.

All this is happening on Balanced difficulty BTW.

Anyway, I have a lingering feeling that I cheesed the combat by prebuffing, and I'm curious how did it go for you?

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
can reset change background of origin character?

would it make much sense to change tiefling into bard? How useful is that advantage on performance and intimidation? In pathfinder it would be worth a lot in combat, here im not sure?

warlock+paladin split. Oathbreaker or not for melee focused party?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Balanced difficulty

:what:

How did you guys kill Auntie?

While I loved the design of the fight, I found the mechanics a bit too easy because the mirror images get one-popped. The only advantage Auntie has is stacking the action economy against you, but it's so easy to clear the images that she quickly ends up alone, and alone, she's pretty much a nothing burger.

EDIT: Oh wait, I am dumb lol, you're talking about the first encounter. You're really just fighting the redcaps there. Auntie will TP away.

Zayne

Scholar
So, I'm playing as Swords Bard and it seems for me that his most overpowered ability is Slashing Flourish (Ranged), because ye, you can target 2 different enemies, but you can also target one two times. So, it is 8 attacks per turn on level 6 under haste, which is awesome.

But this all makes me think. The Bard gets most of his power on level 10 - magical secrets, d10 inspiration and expertise. On 11 and 12 you get a feat and 6th level spell. While useful, I wonder if taking 2 Fighter levels for Action Surge and Fighting Style: Archery would be better?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
EDIT: Oh wait, I am dumb lol, you're talking about the first encounter. You're really just fighting the redcaps there. Auntie will TP away.
No, she is dead, and I even talked to her corpse. If she gets resurrected later on, I haven't reached it yet.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
No, she is dead, and I even talked to her corpse. If she gets resurrected later on, I haven't reached it yet.

Yes, I think you may have broken the intended mechanics by alphastriking her. When you first meet her in the house she is supposed to teleport away, leaving you with the redcaps. You then go through a whole gauntlet to get to her inner sanctum.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom