Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Icewind Dale Beamdog's Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm still trying to understand the logic behind "Story Mode" for Icewind Dale. Where there is barely any story to be had.

It's like playing in God Mode in DOOM. It's retarded, but you'd be surprised how many people did it. Including possibly yourself.

Diablo169

Arcane
I'm still trying to understand the logic behind "Story Mode" for Icewind Dale. Where there is barely any story to be had.

It's like playing in God Mode in DOOM. It's retarded, but you'd be surprised how many people did it. Including possibly yourself.

Oh no I fully understand cheats and the like, it's just the name that's thrown me. If they had added this feature in Baldurs Gate 2 and called it "story mode" I could at least understand the name. Icewind Dale is essentially the most plot lite game of all the IE games isn't it?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, but it has more plot than Doom!

Call it the "Plow Through All The Content" Mode.

pippin

Icewind Dale had a story -humble, but a story nonetheless- which was directly tied to the setting. For me, the descriptions of the items and stuff like the npc interactions in 2 gave more than just a little flavor to the gameplay. It wasn't a "real" story that was everywhere and led to serious character development, but it's present and makes the world plausible in its fantasy context.

Diablo169

Arcane
Yeah, but it has more plot than Doom!

Call it the "Plow Through All The Content" Mode.

"IDDQD + IDKFA mode"

Icewind Dale had a story -humble, but a story nonetheless- which was directly tied to the setting. For me, the descriptions of the items and stuff like the npc interactions in 2 gave more than just a little flavor to the gameplay. It wasn't a "real" story that was everywhere and led to serious character development, but it's present and makes the world plausible in its fantasy context.

Oh don't get me wrong, this is pound for pound still one of the best video game introductions ever:

The music and the narrator are excellent. It just never really gets this exciting again.

RandomAccount

*sighs*

Every time someone mentions IWD someone starts bleeting about too much combat and not enough story...

Well...

There is either an NPC or Boss narration on practically every screen you enter, somewhere. There is a continuous story throughout the adventure and many little side-quests that most players wont find on their first run-through. There are many instances of superb voice acting. There is even two full 'dungeons' where you can choose not to fight anyone (which is also the only area with easy-forced-filler combat dusting it's surface, just to give exp in case you go the peaceful route). There are no 'endless dungeons' aside from one 5 level 'cave' but each level offers something completely different to the last.

In terms of story it is no different to Jason And The Argonauts - each stage of the journey being story focused but with very satisfying combat connecting all the dots. It is a classic adventure story in every respect. I'm sorry it doesn't challenge the inner depths of multiple universes or seep into your soul with endearing pathos, but neither do most traditional epics and fairy tales. The only difference between IWD and BG2 in this regard is that the damn companions don't constantly bitch at each other 24/7, and as far as I'm concerned that's not story, that's just 'stuff'.

Rant over.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Good on Trent for admitting to mistakes. Hopefully he takes the lessons on board and doesn't forget them, as Immortal said.

IWDII:EE? Will likely happen, easy cash for them, but I think this IE game is the least in need of an EE.

Bringing Planescape:Torment to a modern audience might be a good thing, but it's a very different world and game, I think a lot of people WON'T enjoy all the reading...

I hope they don't do NWN:EE. It doesn't need an EE.

And no BG3... Seriously, get on the 'create your own IP' bandwagon, hire a (couple) super creative mind(s), if they don't already have them, and create an interesting and different world... Maybe do an inXile and lease the PoE engine then modify as required (and come up with a better combat system, shouldn't be too hard...).

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
If they wait until December, they can go straight to work on PoE:EE.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
They could do with a new soundtrack and a quirky Wild Mage companion.

For the lazy:

Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition features the following enhancements:
  • Six expanded quests, featuring content cut from the original game
  • 60 new items
  • Heart of Winter and Trials of the Luremaster expansions
  • 31 new class and kit combinations from Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition, well as the half-orc playable race
  • 122 new spells carried over from Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition
  • Cross-platform multiplayer
  • A new "Story Mode" difficulty setting to allow players to experience all of the story with none of the Game Over screens
  • Available for Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android

So basically clusterfuck that's going to brake the game, which was certainly not designed with BG2 spell arsenal in mind and i'm sure the new 60 items are overpowered broken shit as well.

And i'm not sure what the "Story Mode" crap even means.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing

Yes, really. It's intended as a fun way for new players to get into the RPG genre and start learning about things like damage ranges and to-hit calculations without being smacked in the face by a "game over" screen every two minutes.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Yes, really. It's intended as a fun way for new players to get into the RPG genre and start learning about things like damage ranges and to-hit calculations without being smacked in the face by a "game over" screen every two minutes.

:what:

Of all the IE games to introduce such a stupid idea in.. you pick Icewind Dale.. The plot is basically: kill a bunch of shit.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
BG1EE just got patched to 1.3 and it's really good and stable now, I'd say it's the best version of the game now.

It can't be the best version of the game if stupid shit like this is still in, can't it?

I also see they still haven't managed to put the original interface in the game. Is Sword Cost Stratagems, possibly the only truly worthwhile mod, even part of this edition?

dukeofwhales

Cipher

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but if you cannot die there is no motivation to learn how the combat works, which is the rewarding part of the inifinity engine games. Selecting all and left clicking on the baddies is not a particularly fun way to play the game. With an FPS an easy mode can make sense for people who just aren't skillful enough yet to play on other modes, but you have unlimited time to make decisions in RTWP - and I can't think of any enemies in IWD who will not die if you hit them hard enough and for long enough, other than some jellies and maybe trolls.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
but you have unlimited time to make decisions in RTWP

Tell me about unlimited time again when you have four kids, a 1/4 million in debt, a wife going through menopause, and an annual cancer scare. I'd rather play through IWD in 5 great and enjoyable hours than spend 20 miserable hours trying to get past chapter 2.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
If god mode is the only way you can play games you might as well find a less demanding hobby bro.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
but you have unlimited time to make decisions in RTWP

Tell me about unlimited time again when you have four kids, a 1/4 million in debt, a wife going through menopause, and an annual cancer scare. I'd rather play through IWD in 5 great and enjoyable hours than spend 20 miserable hours trying to get past chapter 2.

I feel this, but... eh. God mode? Especially in games like the IE games? It kind of wrecks the entire point, imo. Now maybe in PS:T... that game would've been better with all combat removed entirely and I say that as a combatfag. ;)

sbb

Learned
If the game has the capability of you playing god mode, I don't see why someone should be discouraged from using it like it's "wrong". He doesn't *need* to find a less demanding hobby, his less demanding option is right there in his hobby of choice.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Not sure if this is replying to me, but I don't disagree. Just strikes me as weird for a game that's specifically about the combat encounters. Either way, the "imo" was meant to point out that it was my opinion. It's not like I'm going to sit in Bubbles' home and make sure he plays it the way I'd like.

sbb

Learned
Not sure if this is replying to me, but I don't disagree. Just strikes me as weird for a game that's specifically about the combat encounters. Either way, the "imo" was meant to point out that it was my opinion. It's not like I'm going to sit in Bubbles' home and make sure he plays it the way I'd like.
Oh, it wasn't meant for you. My bad. Was aimed at that fag Lyric Suite.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Eh, at the end of the day, I am a huge fan of IWD 1 & 2. As completely idiotic as godmode is, I kind of feel placing stuff like this on Steam with a coat of paint may slowly be bringing folks around to :incline: Lots of folks missed these the first time. IWD does deserve more attention, and this is probably the only way it will get it.

If the game has the capability of you playing god mode, I don't see why someone should be discouraged from using it like it's "wrong".
Balance and combat design just as much a part of IWD as the soundtrack, scenery and the characters. There already is a difficulty slider for casual gamers. It's adding a "win" button to the game that I don't seem to recall anyone asking for.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom