Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BEAUTIFUL DESOLATION - isometric post-apocalyptic adventure from STASIS developer

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
I really don't get why people are saying its advertised as an RPG. Our Steam profile literally says:

BEAUTIFUL DESOLATION is a 2D isometric adventure game set in the distant future. Explore a post-apocalyptic landscape, solve puzzles, meet new friends and make powerful enemies, mediate conflicts and fight for your life as you unravel the secrets of the world around you.
Popular user-defined tags for this product:
Adventure, Indie, Casual, Point & Click, Sci-fi.

We actually got some negative reviews because the game isn't an RPG.

It's very much an adventure game. There are some elements that deviate away from other adventure games, such as a non linear story and a semi-open world. There are choices to make, dialogue trees, and endings that alter depending on how you treat characters.
There is a small combat component, but its more of a minigame that's linked to a quest which you don't have to do.

It's odd to think that a genre has some sort of ownership of an art style or camera angle.

Jinn

Arcane
I just got through the combat at the arena, and I liked it a lot! Pretty cool that

you get different combatants to choose from depending on who you end up supporting.

I feel like maybe it wasn't the best for the pacing of the game though. It was nice to have a new thing to do and break up the gameplay, but I feel it would have been better if it was something you started doing earlier, and the fights were broken up and scattered through the world. As in you would end up engaging in them over the course of your exploration. And it would have of course been cool if your combatants could level up ;). And don't get me wrong, I think the whole concept behind the arena and the priests is great. Just maybe not from a gameplay pacing perspective.

But mainly I wanted to say, I did indeed enjoy it and am happy that you decided to implement it.

Last edited:

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
I just got through the combat at the arena, and I liked it a lot! Pretty cool that

you get different combatants to choose from depending on who you end up supporting.

I feel like maybe it wasn't the best for the pacing of the game though. It was nice to have a new thing to do and break up the gameplay, but I feel it would have been better if it was something you started doing earlier, and the fights were broken up and scattered through the world. As in you would end up engaging in them over the course of your exploration. And it would have of course been cool if your combatants could level up ;).

But mainly I wanted to say, I did indeed enjoy it and am happy that you decided to implement it.

Which combatants did you get? There are some secret ways to get some of them. My favorite being how you get The Fley...
If you use the Protonanite to infect the Fley computer, and then destroy the Fley, you meet up with The Children Of One - Nest who can now survive in extreme heat. They will give you a Fley token that they salvaged from the scrap.

We were tempted to spread the combat out, but because it was very 'new' to us, we were a little hesitant to push it further as a game mechanic. It's our first foray into something like that, so we had to be subtle and careful with it!

WallaceChambers

Learned
People just have heavy association with aesthetics and certain genres. There's a crop of adventure games made in RPG maker with that typical 16-bit Final Fantasy aesthetic that are often mistakenly assumed to be RPG's as well.

It is stupid, though. Especially when you literally can't read any pre-release material about Beautiful Desolation without coming across the words "adventure game." It's not a Brutal Legend situation where pre-release it was marketed like a hack n' slash but was actually a Pikmin/Overlord style console RTS. Getting a bad review off that is full retardo, at that point you're basically giving a bad review to your own reading comprehension.

Jinn

Arcane
Which combatants did you get? There are some secret ways to get some of them. My favorite being how you get The Fley...

Wow! I ended up just getting the Hanasi token. Would what your saying imply that you can have more than one token active at once, and mix and match faction combatants? If so, I maybe should have explored a bit more before plowing through the combats so I would have had more variety.

We were tempted to spread the combat out, but because it was very 'new' to us, we were a little hesitant to push it further as a game mechanic. It's our first foray into something like that, so we had to be subtle and careful with it!

You guys did great, especially for a first foray.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer

Wow! I ended up just getting the Hanasi token. Would what your saying imply that you can have more than one token active at once, and mix and match faction combatants? If so, I maybe should have explored a bit more before plowing through the combats so I would have had more variety.

You guys did great, especially for a first foray.

You can get a token for almost every race.

Mongrels, once you've visited Chiron, return to Commander Swart and she will give you a family heirloom which is a Mongrel Token.

Fley, as I said above.

Nest - Infect the doctor and the Nest will give you a token.

Witnesses - You need to give Lebanons list to The Mistress Of Witherberg, and she will give you one.

Moss - Scan the Mossling at the Fley Computer. Then if you support Dr Taylor she will destroy the Moss and the Nest. Explore the destroyed Nest homeland and you'll find a blank token. If you insert the blank token into the Fley computer you can print out a Moss token.

Agnates - same as above (with the blank token), but you have to scan the full Agnate Cartridge you loaded up at the Agnate Base.

Caecus, I think you can either print their token as well, or if you just leave them alone and go back to explore their homeland after they have left, youll find it on the ground.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
People just have heavy association with aesthetics and certain genres. There's a crop of adventure games made in RPG maker with that typical 16-bit Final Fantasy aesthetic that are often mistakenly assumed to be RPG's as well.

It is stupid, though. Especially when you literally can't read any pre-release material about Beautiful Desolation without coming across the words "adventure game." It's not a Brutal Legend situation where pre-release it was marketed like a hack n' slash but was actually a Pikmin/Overlord style console RTS. Getting a bad review off that is full retardo, at that point you're basically giving a bad review to your own reading comprehension.

We also got a bad review because the game wasn't like Disco Elysium. And another guy emailed us to tell us we wasted our time by not making the game 'like Destiny'.

V_K

Arcane
If you use the Protonanite to infect the Fley computer, and then destroy the Fley, you meet up with The Children Of One - Nest who can now survive in extreme heat. They will give you a Fley token that they salvaged from the scrap.
I did that accidentally, just fooling around with Fley mainframe (what can I say, adventure game habits die hard :lol:) and the encounter with the Children made me literally lol. But also shudder a bit given the implications. It's a pity you can't go back to the One / the Nest and tell them about it.

Caecus, I think you can either print their token as well, or if you just leave them alone and go back to explore their homeland after they have left, youll find it on the ground.
Wait, what? How can you get them to leave? And why?

We also got a bad review because the game wasn't like Disco Elysium.
If I could give you another good review for not being like DE, I would.

Tytus

Arcane

We also got a bad review because the game wasn't like Disco Elysium. And another guy emailed us to tell us we wasted our time by not making the game 'like Destiny'.

p9I9IHP.png

Read some more about the game, it looks very interesting, so just bought it and I'm gonna give it a spin.
Hope you guys will have a financial success with it.

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag! Village Idiot Repressed Homosexual Possibly Retarded Edgy Shitposter
Does anyone have a link with the first footage with combat when was announced?
I want to make a visual comparison with the version in the released version.
I'm pretty sure I recall the brothers doing combat directly and holding weapons.

We never had Mark or Don enter combat, although at one point we did have Pooch as an idea for a combatant, but it never went passed me doing some animations for her.

The arena was also going to be a more literal arena where Don controlled the guys below while standing on this platform above the games (you can see the platforms still there if you go to the arena) - but we moved it closer to being an arcade game.
You were also going to be able to fight in the Hanasi arena (outside their homeland), but instead decided to move it all into the single story with the Priests at the Bulwark. The Hanasi combat would have essentially been the same, but with animals. That then became the Tik gambling game.

I might be conflating your Fallout 4 isometric mockups. Did you ever release any mockups with Mark and Don holding weapons?

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Does anyone have a link with the first footage with combat when was announced?
I want to make a visual comparison with the version in the released version.
I'm pretty sure I recall the brothers doing combat directly and holding weapons.

We never had Mark or Don enter combat, although at one point we did have Pooch as an idea for a combatant, but it never went passed me doing some animations for her.

The arena was also going to be a more literal arena where Don controlled the guys below while standing on this platform above the games (you can see the platforms still there if you go to the arena) - but we moved it closer to being an arcade game.
You were also going to be able to fight in the Hanasi arena (outside their homeland), but instead decided to move it all into the single story with the Priests at the Bulwark. The Hanasi combat would have essentially been the same, but with animals. That then became the Tik gambling game.

I might be conflating your Fallout 4 isometric mockups. Did you ever release any mockups with Mark and Don holding weapons?

na - Dons final design was only locked in a few months ago when the combat was tied to the arena. Until then it was just Mark with a different texture running around. :D

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Pyke

i did the mongrel vs fley quest but i did not get the arena token. is it a bug or there are other steps?

i took the ion cannon controller, gave it to the mongrel, they blasted the fley and i got the slingshot and the other ion canon controller but no tokens.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Pyke

i did the mongrel vs fley quest but i did not get the arena token. is it a bug or there are other steps?

i took the ion cannon controller, gave it to the mongrel, they blasted the fley and i got the slingshot and the other ion canon controller but no tokens.

Not a bug. To get the Mongrel token you have to talk to the Mongrels after youve opened up the Chiron warden but before you've got the Ion Canon Controller. You can then ask them for more 'persuasion' to carry on, or just tell them about Baas and Chiron. Commander Swart will then give you a family heirloom - which is a Mongrel Token.
For the Fley Token, you need to infect the Fley computer with a protonanite, then blow them up.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The 15% negatives are probably from retards that expected an RPG or retards that complained about the art style, like we have in the other thread.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
LMAO

when siza
said the charging device is faulty so i went to check the panel on the wall and he blew up. i was like "WTF!!?" then
"SHIIIIZAAAAAAA"

maxresdefault.jpg

PrK

Savant
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture

Now to find time to play it.. :shredder:

Also note that the description of the deluxe edition on GOG no longer mentions that the soundtrack is available in FLAC as well for some reason.

WallaceChambers

Learned
Yeah, to say that the game offers "zero" feedback on how to progress is flat wrong. Unless you don't count narrative context as feedback and are looking for flashing HUD elements or something. Everything he complains about was dead easy. Yeah there's a gulf between what AG fans and your standard gamer consider difficult, but seriously... Do you really need the game to overtly indicate that you should use the medical kit for healing someone that's been injured? Wouldn't you know to look around a bit harder for gold items after finding one the first time?

Honestly outside of two (maybe three) instances of momentary confusion I experienced in a 15+ hour game, there's no issue. Only one actually annoyed me. Stuff like this always reminds me that impressions from genre fans are so much more worthwhile over reviews. Although, I never liked OAG so it's not like I'd expect a well written review.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
tbh the only puzzle i got stuck with is the shutting down the reactor puzzle. maybe i missed some clue but there are nothing that indicate which program to install and remove. other than that, as long as you pay attention to the dialogue and explore it's fine

lightbane

Arcane
I'm surprised OAG got a free review copy to begin with, considering how polemic the web is. Still, at least they still end up recommend (trying) the game instead of a flat negative.
Have any of the more "official" game web-mags bothered to look at BD or not yet?

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
so the ending. (long theory about everything)

i got the garden of generosity. that ending scene is super well done. i got shivers from the statues representing our story.

as for the story, i have some speculation of what the penrose is for.

i guess the core concept of the game is the egg story but with a sci fi twist. the egg story: (gotta ask Pyke if he would confirm or deny also would really appreciate how accurate this is to your vision or i missed everything lol):

it is also partly inspired by Isaac Asimov's famous "The last Question"
https://www.multivax.com/last_question.html
in my view, the penrose is some kind of a God maker the "egg" / the Multivac. it was sent from the future, built by people using the Nest's nanotechnology or something based of it but probably alot more advanced from another timeline. its purpose is to create a god for some reason. from here it is pure speculation, but here is what i got at least:

say there is timeline A. in this timeline the penrose didn't exist. humanity live as normal, similar to our timeline. no penrose, no sudden advancement, everything happens naturally. in the far far future something happened that put the whole human race, or the whole solar system or even the whole universe in its battle against entropy. the penrose was created as the final desperate act of humanity and other sapient species they met or created. it was sent to south africa in the 1970's with sole purpose of changing the future. the penrose itself is part a database, a supercomputer, a technology treasure trove. all this is to attract people and advance humanity. again, this is probably an act of desperation that the timeline A people would risk something so big that basically gamble by changing the timeline. maybe it needed a person, or at least a sapient being to serve as it core. all the technology inside is to attract people and DARIS's protocol is basically choosing a person to be the penrose trinity figurehead. out of the many scientists, political figures, military figures, none of them gets chosen. instead, it was a journalist, an ex soldier turned pilot and an agnate. why them? why not smarter people? stronger or more influential people to be ascended? there is some kind of some unifying bond between mark, don and pooch. those are severe trauma or loss.

pooch is special because she's an agnate, and i guess the penrose decided that it needed an artifical sapient being be a part of the trinity, and that made sense why the penrose "shared" its trove of highly advanced technology so agnate could be invented and born as their own race. now Mark lost his fiance, and don was an ex soldier out due to PTSD and both of them had troubled life. POOCH was basically a sapient lab rat that experienced great mental turmoil that even humans cannot undergo. maybe these traumas are important for the ascendancy. one that fateful day, the 3 met and DARIS suddenly had the perfect candidate. 3 is significant number in christianity and alot of other religion and mysticism, the trinity, and penrose is a triangle. 3 is what DARIS needed and the 3 all met that day and during the prologue, DARIS scanned every single one of them and digitize them. now i think it don't have to be exactly Mark, Don and Pooch. it be anyone that fit the criteria. i think our heroes are simply the first 3 that fit the criteria. hell, Mark, Don and Pooch might not the only one trio. there might be countless trio that is undergoing the same adventure as us that DARIS "recruited" over the centuries.

now the objective isn't really to create a benevolent God. it is simply even if we get the generous ending, the simulation continue. it require minds that understand the intricate ripple and effect of a decision, basically creating something as close to omniscience as possible, by subjecting them to practically infinite lives and simulation. to create a god that can create a perfect world, as perfect as it can be without some unforeseen errors or flaws. if the project succeed, they will merge all the memories of the trio into one and gave them access to the full arsenal of penrose's technology that can easily reshape planet and its inhabitant in a whim (the biome seed device is the prime example of what the technologies are capable of and maybe that's primitive compared to the real capability of penrose)

now this is where it gets trippy. very trippy. i almost made my head hurt thinking about it.

what. is. real? almost the whole game is a simulation. we know that the prologue is real. the story DARIS told about the real mark, don and pooch is real. everything is a big question mark. the whole 98% of probably isn't accurate to the actual reality. the least extreme is all the factions, and world in the real world are almost the same as the game (the agnates uprising happen, all the factions exist) but some details, especially the heroes stories and the player's decision are tweaked according on how the simulation went.

the most extreme is the actual world looks nothing like in the game. its base in reality that it is one of the potential future that the world can go after the Penrose appeared. what we played is 000000.1% of the potential timeline that could have happened.

i could go deeper into this. Old Doli said the penrose exist in all point in time between the beginning to the end. say the beginning is when the Penrose appeared in timeline B. the end is the probably the death of life as we know, the that final moment when penrose was created. with penrose, they delayed the "end" indefinitely. each time the penrose failed, it send itself back to the the beginning. to do it all over again, with slight variation. hell the simulation might be done on each timeline, but each time the 'God' failed, the penrose travels back, update its data, and begins anew. the penrose is an impossible triangle. infinite regression, fractal timeline. i think it is possible the shape of penrose itself represent the basically infinite time it have to do its job before the universe or whatever the stake is saved.

if the scale was universal (and imo, considering of miracles the penrose are capable to do something really final like the heat death of universe might be the only thing that such technology cannot defeat), then there might be billions and billions of penrose, each habiting different planets with different sapient beings and they are always sent to the point where that targeted species start to tinker with advanced technology (aka the 1970's for us) so there are unfathomable numbers of simulation ran inside unfathomable numbers of timeline created until hopefully at least 1 can escape from death of all thing.

in the end, i might be overthinking it and i spent too much time thinking and typing this lol, but it was fun. great game and definitely one of the best "open interpretation" story i have ever experienced and how fun it is to speculate. will leave a review this weekend.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom