Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Kickstarter gives video game-oppressed minorities so many opportunities to prove the Patriarchy wrong by designing a better game, it's a wonder none have taken it.

I doubt many of them are willing to expend much more effort than acting loud, self-righteous and indignant about this kind of stuff. Designing a game is likely out of that scope, but being constantly outraged and stirring up internet witch hunts is more their speed.

As far as kickstarters are concerned, the majority seem to want to target the kickstarters that are already established. And It's unfortunate. The conversation about these kickstarters should be about what will mechanically make these games modern classics, but is sadly muddied with a a bunch of social crusading and bickering. There's so much pleading and demanding that the devs should always be inclusive and strive for fair representation of minorities that I'm honestly concerned there's going to become this distracting, unnecessary after-school special subtext in medieval fantasy RPGs, of all places. I honestly hope the devs for these kickstarters aren't listening too closely; a lot of the games that are considered classics are still considered so because they came before games were considered a service, were political platforms or had to be art that absolutely must drive the medium forward. They were just fun, mechanically sound games. And no, they weren't afraid to show some tits here and there, for fuck's sake.

Grimlorn

Arcane
It's a cartoon character. Who cares about realism or this gender BS? All the time we see huge muscle bound characters in games that are completely unrealistic for bony and skinny men to play as, but when someone accentuates female characteristics in such a way it's the worst thing ever. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Just don't turn it into this issue of female objectification that needs to be addressed. It's bullshit. Women get paid to be sexual objects and enjoy getting paid for it too. Why make an issue of a cartoon character in a game? Why even have a serious conversation about it?People bringing up these issues like that Jason guy should be yelled at and chastised to the point they never bring up such a dumbass thing ever again. We shouldn't be wasting our time talking about this and validating his stupid opinion. Just laugh at him and move on.

Tehdagah

Arcane
I think it's more about the fact that at 30 you've had about half of your life to come to terms with the fact that omg your balls produce testosterone and learn to think with your brain instead.

Also, dat art direction is abysmal.
Isn't the artist 40+ years old?

Tehdagah

Arcane

Gerrard

Arcane
Also, dat art direction is abysmal.

Not really. The sketches themselves are ridiculous, obviously, but inside of the game it all looks pretty enough to overlook overfanservized designs. Especially when it comes to backgrounds - those backgrounds are fantastic. Not to mention that 3d models are slightly less ridiculous than their sketches.
Sorry, but those designs are worse than the shit that "famous" Korean "artist" whose name I can't remember draws (and the designs he did for Blade&Soul).

"Fuck anatomy, it's my style!"

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Okay, it turns out Tycho of Penny Arcade is FOR Dragon's Crown: http://penny-arcade.com/2013/04/24/character-selection

As a fan of Capcom’s Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom and Shadows Over Mystara, as well as games like Vanillaware’s Muramasa and Odin Sphere, Dragon’s Crown is more or less the song of my heart. It is my heartsong. Apparently it’s not everybody’s heartsong! That’s what I read. They don’t like the game’s ridiculously, freakishly, borderline scarily rendered “woman” and to a certain extent I can understand why.

You probably don’t have to guess how I feel about this latest round of compulsory swaying and fainting, so much like an old timey Tent Revival, complete with its hopping devil and its perpetually put upon holy warriors. But let’s try to look at what’s actually here on the plate.

The only characters here who aren’t fucking mutants are the Elf and the Wizard, who are there to calibrate the player; everybody else is some fun-house exponent of strength or beauty stretched into some haunted sigil. Iconic isn’t even the word - they don’t evoke icons, they are icons. They’re humans as primal symbols.

It’s very weird to pull up a story about a game with frankly visionary art and hear why it shouldn’t exist, or to hear what I supposedly fantasize about, or what kind of power I supposedly revere, and any attempt to defend oneself from these psychotic projections or to assert that creators may create is evidence of a dark seed sprouting in the heart. It’s an incredible state of affairs. They’re not censors, though - oh, no no. You’ll understand it eventually; what you need to do is censor yourself.

Zeriel

Arcane
I think they don't want to accept the fact, that, women like the 'Sorcerer' are really, REALLY attractive to men.

Based on my experiences online, they are also attractive to women. Especially lesbians.

Dude, you obviously can't differentiate between oppressive and overt sexualization of the female form in entertainment and male power fantasies. When it's a barrel-chested man, that's a male power fantasy, because men always want to look like that. When it's a curvy or large-breasted woman, that's a case of women being sexualized, making it evil, because women don't want to look like that.

It's really simple: observing feminism in 'geek culture' (lol) demonstrates that if something is deemed sexist and applied to women, then a similar thing applied to a man is equally sexist, but still only toward women. Check your privilege, etc.

As Bioware has demonstrated, the female power fantasy consists of romancing all your companions (backstabbing the female ones if needed)

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
Meh, as long as a woman's body type is int he correct proportions she can be very curvy or skinny and have the same attractiveness to me. From what I have learned over the years, women are attracted to tall guys the same way that men like correct proportions.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that a skinny chick with enormous breasts looks as unappealing as a curvy chick with a flat chest, to me.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
34612-4-1365626953.jpg

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Sticky cover:
theprof2.jpg

Upside down popamole:
ceiling-shot.jpg

Emotional Engagement:
leon7.jpg

Makes sense.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom