Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Better, than the test site, blander than the past.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
I can't believe how cluttered and hard to read this site is currently. Codex previously was remarkably easy on the eyes and very easy to read. Now I feel I have to look past half the site to read the text between.

I have no commentary on the functionality or security of the site, but it is an atrocious design that is productive towards opposite of what should be its goal, namely presenting text in a readable manner.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's like you've been living in a nice, regular house with garden for most of your life. A beautiful place that makes you feel at home.
1654850912B78121_1.jpg

Then one day, you go off to work, and when you return you find an excavator in your backyard and your nice comfortable house has been replaced with this:
brutalist-architecture-tranquil-house.jpg

Your garden and lawn are also gone, paved over with ugly gravel.

kangaxx

Arbiter
It's like you've been living in a nice, regular house with garden for most of your life. A beautiful place that makes you feel at home.
1654850912B78121_1.jpg

Then one day, you go off to work, and when you return you find an excavator in your backyard and your nice comfortable house has been replaced with this:
brutalist-architecture-tranquil-house.jpg

Your garden and lawn are also gone, paved over with ugly gravel.
For some reason the destructive impact of communism comes to mind. Are the site owners communists?

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
> a few changes

More like the removal of everything that made the Codex look beautiful as a website. Now it looks like shit. This "redesign" is an act of vandalism. It is a destruction of beauty.

Tell us, Taluntain. How much do you want us to pay to restore the old look? I'm willing to give 100€ to the cause. Just make it look like it used to.

The amount of butthurt over what amounts to so little actual change goes beyond autistic here. I can't even take the ridiculous amount of me-too whining seriously because it's so over the top for such a nothingburger that this layout change has been reduced to that it's not even funny. It's honestly worse than kindergarten. Twiglard's gone to great lengths to basically strip the new layout of practically all the meaningful changes, down to even reducing the font to this ridiculously small size again and yet the amount of bile spewed over it here is practically unchanged from before.

We get it, the Codex is unable to accept literally the first change in 20 years, no matter how minor. We've known that it's going to be like this no matter what. Some things will still be tweaked, some won't. If you can't live with that, tough.

Hellion

Arcane
XenForo 2.X is highly customizable, we're also running it on my site and every little button, box, border, font and color can be customized either by installing themes or by messing around with the default template's CSS files. Theoretically it is even possible to give this forum the exact same look as the old one. Yuge upgrade overall.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
"so little actual change"

Have you checked the Codex before the change? Are you blind, perchance?
It looks radically different from how it used to. Everything has changed. The layout is different. The posts, signatures, user avatar fields, rating bar at the bottom all look different. The trolls, lovingly drawn by MCA, in the top left corner are gone.

It looks like a generic piece of shit modern website now, all the charm drained from it. Utterly horrible and disgusting.

But sure, okay, if you don't want my 100€, don't change anything. I won't give a single cent to the site while it looks like this. It's an abomination and I hate it.

As I said - it's like returning home after work only to find that your beautiful old house was replaced with an ugly abomination. It breaks my heart.

Tarkleigh

Learned
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
It is not as bad as I had thought. My main pain points are the fixed width and the look of the buttons, as mentioned before, they would look much better if they still had text.

Performance is really good, though, I am pleasantly surprised by that. And the share buttons are hilarous :lol:

Edit: And I can't find the "go to first unread post" feature which is obviously a problem

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
XenForo 2.X is highly customizable, we're also running it on my site and every little button, box, border, font and color can be customized either by installing themes or by messing around with the default template's CSS files. Theoretically it is even possible to give this forum the exact same look as the old one. Yuge upgrade overall.

How much do you need to be paid to make the Codex look like it used to?

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Privacy settings seem to be janky: I unchecked the option to turn off my online status, regardless if I'm on the site, yet it still shows the online icon.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
I would begin by putting the "share", "report" and "bookmark" buttons under an arrow marked drop down menu left to post number, and removing the text of "Quote" and "Reply" from the symbols of "+" and "↵". Probably remove the boxes around the ratings and the number next to them too. At least remove the color difference between rating box and number next to it.

If anyone is not able to figure out + means quote and ↵ means reply they shouldn't post here.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I don't like that the ratings button has been replaced with a Brofist.

I don't like anything about this new site, really.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Jesus, even the alerts suck. I usually open the alert page and just middle mouse click on all links to open a new page, but now that's almost impossible. It looks a damn mess!

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
This is fucking ugly, seriously. I hate it so much. Who do I have to pay to return it to the old layout? What do we have to do to get our old Codex back? Please, just give us our old Codex back.

I don't want to live anymore :negative:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This is fucking ugly, seriously. I hate it so much. Who do I have to pay to return it to the old layout? What do we have to do to get our old Codex back? Please, just give us our old Codex back.

I don't want to live anymore :negative:
It's like being offered mentos when you are addicted to crack.

Dood

Novice
I like the new site, it is clean and easy to read. RPGCodex IS IN DE BAG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom