Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Black Myth: Wu Kong - a.k.a. "Sekiro 2: now YOU are the monkey"

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Anyway, discussion on /v/ has fully devolved into this:
daos72.png

(this plus the usual "West has fallen", "chuds won", "Japan lost", "BRICs ruined muh board", "China century" threads)

But the general on /vg/, most posters seem to be well on their way to complete the game
So far the consensus is that everything related to the game's presentation and setting is amazing - not only does it all look very good but there's also a great amount of variety and the world and being in it are very colorful and imaginative:
Even minor enemies get cool little backstories and poems:

But as far gameplay is concerned, "mediocre" is the word that comes up most often
They say the combat doesn't have much meat to it overall (few moves, the quarterstaff is the only weapon available, rolling is the only defensive move) and both movement and impacts feel weightless:

It's also easy, you can even stun-lock some bosses to death with the most basic light attack string (so also not much point to trying different combos):

Despite this, bosses are still a big highlight of the game

jaekl

CHUD LIFE
Patron
Someone figure out the stupid ass giant skill tree with 500 options and questionably translated text and tell me what all the OP ones are please and thank you

Lyre Mors

Arcane
It's also easy, you can even stun-lock some bosses to death with the most basic light attack string (so also not much point to trying different combos):
That video is literally the first boss (and kind of a mini-boss at that). And no, I haven't found this to be the case. Beyond that, movement and attacks in no way feel weightless. How weighty and "in the world" you feel is one of the first things I noted while playing. As to the difficulty, I think something that is going to confuse a lot of people is that not every "boss" you find is going to be a huge epic battle for your life. A lot of these are simply more involved encounters, which is something that I really appreciate about the game. Rather than cutting through hordes of "normal" enemies on your way to the BIG BOSS of an area, you have unique encounters that pop up fairly frequently that test your skill, but aren't necessarily huge, taxing fights you have to repeat over and over. As much as I love Fromsoft games, I sometimes really hate how they've skewed what baseline difficulty and overall structure should be in an action RPG.

As always, who gives a shit what 4chan says?

Last edited:

Elttharion

Learned
harry potter game(famous book movie franchse) with a good game sold well. *surprised*
sure everyone bought it because it was politically motivated. *sarcasm*

I'm anti woke and never bought a game because of my political motivations. (have 900+games on my steam acc)
Even the contrary, if a game is good i buy it despite being woke/wokeish ->Pathfinder WotR, Baldur's Gate 3, Alan Wake 2 to name a few.
Never considered buying hogwarts since im not into harry potter books/movies/games.

Ask yourself how many games you yourself bought because you wanted to stick it to xyz political movement.
I have never bought anything just to 'own the libs'. I mean Hogwarts has type A/B crap, diversity galore, trannies, lesbians, etc. Why the fuck would I buy that just to own someone.

jaekl

CHUD LIFE
Patron
harry potter game(famous book movie franchse) with a good game sold well. *surprised*
sure everyone bought it because it was politically motivated. *sarcasm*

I'm anti woke and never bought a game because of my political motivations. (have 900+games on my steam acc)
Even the contrary, if a game is good i buy it despite being woke/wokeish ->Pathfinder WotR, Baldur's Gate 3, Alan Wake 2 to name a few.
Never considered buying hogwarts since im not into harry potter books/movies/games.

Ask yourself how many games you yourself bought because you wanted to stick it to xyz political movement.
I have never bought anything just to 'own the libs'. I mean Hogwarts has type A/B crap, diversity galore, trannies, lesbians, etc. Why the fuck would I buy that just to own someone.
The amount of people that got tricked into thinking harry potter was cool because the libs were mad at the book author unsettled me greatly

Ryzer

Arcane
I'm so glad that this game released because From Software finally lost the monopoly of the souls-genre. Now they have to stop sitting on their asses like they did with Dark Souls 3 and start creating truly original games.

MasPingon

Arcane
I'm so glad that this game released because From Software finally lost the monopoly of the souls-genre. Now they have to stop sitting on their asses like they did with Dark Souls 3 and start creating truly original games.
It's not souls-genre, doesn't feel nor play like it. It's more like Nioh and DMC genre. After about 4 hours in it feels a bit limited - a lot of invisable walls, corridor like paths, very little(close to zero) verticality, not a lot of interaction. Game Science was mobile games developer before Wukong and it shows. After all the hype combat feels a bit underwhelming, I'm not a fan of stance system, there is no parry or even blocking, it's all dodging. A lot of times you can't see what your enemy is doing, because all of those shady graphic effects. Stellar Blade combat gave me much more fun with it's mechanics. Overall it makes an impression like it's more like 40$ game, not 60$ for sure. Hope it gets better with time, if they would gave us a demo, like Stellar Blade publisher did, I wouldn't buy it after what I've experienced so far.

Last edited:

Peachcurl

Arcane
Hogwarts was another one of those politically motivated breakout successes. Basically, the whole gaming scene is a 5th column of some retarded (read: right-wing) polticial swamp. Just look how successful bigoted weirdo Streamers are, versus normal people. It's the algorithm, stupid. Hatred sells better than objectivity.
The only thing politically motivated are the campaigns against each of those games. If that has a net-positive effect on the sales of those games, well, whose fault is that?

Ryzer

Arcane
Hogwarts was another one of those politically motivated breakout successes. Basically, the whole gaming scene is a 5th column of some retarded (read: right-wing) polticial swamp. Just look how successful bigoted weirdo Streamers are, versus normal people. It's the algorithm, stupid. Hatred sells better than objectivity.
well, whose fault is that?
Obviously right-wing fault, because shut up I read it on CNN. t. Morgoth.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
It's not a (pardon the pun) binary thing. I was on the fence about whether to pick up BG3 and all the DEI stuff definitely pushed it off my list. Knowing there wouldn't be any shit like that is part of what makes me pick up games like Grimoire instead despite lacking quality in other areas. If Grimoire had body types and major characters whining about their gay romance and BG 3 had stat differences between genders, it would have swapped which game I'd decided to purchase for sure. I didn't buy Hogwartz because the setting is dogshit.

I'll probably be picking this up before DD2, despite having looked forward to that game since the first one came out and it seeming to have better mechanics than this.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

You mean like when they did Sekiro?

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
It's not souls-genre, doesn't feel nor play like it. It's more like Nioh and DMC genre. After about 4 hours in it feels a bit limited - a lot of invisable walls, corridor like paths, very little(close to zero) verticality, not a lot of interaction. Game Science was mobile games developer before Wukong and it shows. After all the hype combat feels a bit underwhelming, I'm not a fan of stance system, there is no parry or even blocking, it's all dodging. A lot of times you can't see what your enemy is doing, because all of those shady graphic effects. Stellar Blade combat gave me much more fun with it's mechanics. Overall it makes an impression like it's more like 40$ game, not 60$ for sure. Hope it gets better with time, if they would gave us a demo, like Stellar Blade publisher did, I wouldn't buy it after what I've experienced so far.

Yeah, it is nothing like souls games, just an on rails action RPG.
Game really opens up at second map, huge open worldish map with 2-3 different places to go on every savepoint. Maps seem limited first but there are some nice secrets or shortcuts either via destroying walls or clever use of foliage/other map objects.
Combat also opens up as you get the staff skills and spells. You can parry within combos (need focus point) or with a spell, both are OP and wreck enemies. Spells and transformations are really effective and fun to use but mana is limiting at first few hours. But mana magement gets better with skills, item sets and drinks also too.
Stances are really good and the main fun part of the combat, but again you need to upgrade at least twice to unlock their special moves. Climbing the staff is nice way to avoid damage while preparing for a heavy attack.
My main gripe with the game was trash mobs being easy but that part also changes after a while. Even in later stages in first act thrash mobs start to zerg you and use ambush/ranged tactics.

edit: Also game is challenging but not as hard or frustrating as souls games. Probably because I recently replayed Sekiro. I killed most bosses on first or second try, only Whiteclad Noble gave me real trouble.

Ryzer

Arcane

Yeah, it is nothing like souls games, just an on rails action RPG.
So just like the Souls games after 1?

Lyre Mors

Arcane
4 hours really isn't enough to show you what the game has to offer. But even when I was at 4 hours, I could tell that things would continue evolving, unlocking, and more options would become available with every consecutive hour played. Between stances, instant transformations, prolonged transformations, general variation in standard moves, learned skills, armor set skills and passives, mantle skills, and spells, I think this game has a great amount of depth to it's combat and progression systems, both to simply play around with and to utilize to efficiently handle varied combat situations. As a mix between character action and action-RPG, this has got to be one of the most unique and successful blending of the genres I've seen. And yeah, just like Cyberarmy said, exploration starts to open up more the further in you get too. I do think that games - particularly games like this - should be allowed to unfurl gradually with what it has to offer. It's supposed to be a 50 hour game after all.

Also, there is absolutely nothing here that has indicated to me that this studio developed mobile games in the past. This is about as far away from a mobile game you could get, even with the admittedly annoying use of invisible walls.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Chyna has won

this game is literally China's AAA Premium gaming watershed moment. A lot of Chinese are invested in this game like Polacks are invested in CDPR with Twitcher 2/3.

The difference is China has a bit more population than Poland

I did a python script to scrap the 1000 reviews in steam and estimate the languages of the game ( to scrap all reviews would take from 6 to 14 hours with a refresh rate of 1 sec, according to my calculations ), over 75% of the reviews are in Chinese. The second most common language is "unknown". LOL

Link to my python script > https://pastebin.com/7wQbJNxt

Retardo

Learned
Chyna has won

this game is literally China's AAA Premium gaming watershed moment. A lot of Chinese are invested in this game like Polacks are invested in CDPR with Twitcher 2/3.

The difference is China has a bit more population than Poland

I did a python script to scrap the 1000 reviews in steam and estimate the languages of the game ( to scrap all reviews would take from 6 to 14 hours with a refresh rate of 1 sec, according to my calculations ), over 75% of the reviews are in Chinese. The second most common language is "unknown". LOL

Link to my python script > https://pastebin.com/7wQbJNxt
It is literally shown on steam though, it tells you how many reviews are in your preferred languages.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom