Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Black Myth: Wu Kong - a.k.a. "Sekiro 2: now YOU are the monkey"

Lyre Mors

Arcane
14 hours in and I have to say, criticisms about the exploration were completely overblown. For the past several hours I've had at least 3-4 larger branches available for me to explore at any given time, each with a fair amount of nooks and crannies to poke around in, and with several larger boss fights to choose between.

It seems to me the "journalists" complaining about the exploration simply don't actually like exploring to begin with. This is easily a huge step up from things like Lies of P or Nioh, and maybe only a slight step down from Sekiro - with the caveat of exploration actually being rewarded moreso in this than Sekiro.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I think i may get this one before Lies of P. Sucks for the Koreans, but it's their fault for putting a faggot as the main character. Wukong is much cooler, and unlike dumb Americans who have only known him through Goku, i've watched much more prestigious anime adapations of Journey to the West when i was a kid, like this thing lmao:

Or Starzinger:

Seems like we got all the coolest anime in Italy, where as 'Murricans only know shit like Dragon Ball Z. Pff.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
zgpo9rt4vhkd1.jpeg

Machocruz

Arcane
14 hours in and I have to say, criticisms about the exploration were completely overblown. For the past several hours I've had at least 3-4 larger branches available for me to explore at any given time, each with a fair amount of nooks and crannies to poke around in, and with several larger boss fights to choose between.

It seems to me the "journalists" complaining about the exploration simply don't actually like exploring to begin with. This is easily a huge step up from things like Lies of P or Nioh, and maybe only a slight step down from Sekiro - with the caveat of exploration actually being rewarded moreso in this than Sekiro.
So would you say I was wrong and the game does earn the ActionRPG label?

notpl

Arbiter
Knowing how the Chinese work, now we can hopefully expect more single player games from them, mostly wukong clones.
Right now almost all of China's game development resources are being thrown into bottom-barrel gacha/multiplayer mobage crap, so this is indeed a very good thing. There's fucking 1.4 billion of them, it stands to reason a few of them could be making decent single-player games if publishers gave them the opportunity.

ind33d

Learned
Wukong has fucking stop-motion cutscenes? Jesus Christ, America can only function as a mulatto studfarm if the animals don't realize they can escape. This game might collapse civilization

I think i may get this one before Lies of P. Sucks for the Koreans, but it's their fault for putting a faggot as the main character. Wukong is much cooler, and unlike dumb Americans who have only known him through Goku, i've watched much more prestigious anime adapations of Journey to the West when i was a kid, like this thing lmao:

Or Starzinger:

Seems like we got all the coolest anime in Italy, where as 'Murricans only know shit like Dragon Ball Z. Pff.

Certain parts of America got Starzinger as part of a bastardized anthology. Thankfully, fan subs exist to watch it in its entirety.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Wukong has fucking stop-motion cutscenes? Jesus Christ, America can only function as a mulatto studfarm if the animals don't realize they can escape. This game might collapse civilization

Each act have different kind of cutscene once you finish it and they are all spectacular. Stop motion one was the best for me till now, for story purposes.
Also this game has a Budhist hell, similar to Demon's Souls prison level, it even have guards like mind flayers and a maddening mechanic.
Each boss is truly unique, even the ones you fight more than once changes tactics and such. They are always pleasing to watch, some of them are easier than others but always satisfying.
Games helluva fun with nice combat, good exploration and fantastic presentation. You fuckers are sleeping on this one.

Only problem I got is some heavy stutter on 2-3 places, mostly at ingame cinematics and fast travel via shapeshifting. Also had to change my systems language to USA English because it was bugging enemy poise and making their stances really hard to break. (which is needed in some boss battles)
A14883DC72F50A0C27DE74B473880FFEDDB5FB88
A9A751708C9B5DA8F4EC4DF1184C66BF73D8EF93

Lyre Mors

Arcane
I like those traditional paintings in the loading screens or whatever that is.
They're presented once you finish a chapter. They illustrate certain events and characters that you were meant to piece together throughout the events of said chapter. They are absolutely beautiful, and interactive on top of it, with you being able to scroll around them and select certain parts of the painting and get some nice flavor text on whatever you selected. Just another excellent creative detail the developers injected into the game.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

Or Starzinger:

Certain parts of America got Starzinger as part of a bastardized anthology. Thankfully, fan subs exist to watch it in its entirety.

The way 80s anime was brought into America was kinda of funny. When they imported Macross, the actually changed all the dialog and story, and fused the original with two unrelated anime to make one strangely coherent whole. When i watched the original Macross, i was waiting for the motocycles to show up and couldn't understand why they weren't there. It's also amusing how the American version (Robotech) was about oil or something like that lmao. Oh, 'Murricans.

In either case, it's funny how all the 70s and 80s shows never really made it there, and anime only became a thing in America in the 90s. I guess companies didn't want to import Japanese shows because they didn't want them to compete with their own market. In Italy, we got to enjoy both as Italian TV were equal opportunity importers. Whatever it was, just as long as it got ratings.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
I like those traditional paintings in the loading screens or whatever that is.
They're presented once you finish a chapter. They illustrate certain events and characters that you were meant to piece together throughout the events of said chapter. They are absolutely beautiful, and interactive on top of it, with you being able to scroll around them and select certain parts of the painting and get some nice flavor text on whatever you selected. Just another excellent creative detail the developers injected into the game.

Also there is an area that you can see all at once, they unlock as you progress.

Lyre Mors

Arcane
Tiger Vanguard and Yellow Wind Sage are some pretty amazing and tough fights. I took a look at the Yellow Wind Sage moveset after beating him, and there was something like 13 unique moves/combos including his summons. My only problem with him was that his HP was a little bloated, making the fight drag on just a touch too long.

deama

Prophet

I think maybe they're still fresh from elden ring where the maps were fairly large and open.

deama

Prophet
Game is doing very well so far, 2+ million daily players on launch, geeze.
Vl0Xr4L.png

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Game's huge with lots of area to cover. It took 29 hours for me to finish chapter 3 and there are 4 more it seems. Probably not long as 3rd one I guess.

MasPingon

Arcane
Thoughts after 15 hours:

- exploration gets better in chapter 2 but it's still very basic. No verticality, a lot of invisable walls. Maps are design like a corridors with branches now and then.
- gfx are nice, but level design is uninspired. You want see anything that would make your jaw drop down. At least before chapter 3.
- there are quests that could make an impact on your gameplay and encounters with bosses, you can easly miss them just like in FS games.
- combat gets better with new spells, skills and spirits. There is even a parry, so you are not doomed to dodge only. It is fluid and responsive.
- bosses are there not to make you hopeless, but to make you entertained. You can beat some of them in first try, but even then they are memorable. Some of them are tough, Tiger is a filter boss.
- I like how NPC's are written, they all are a bit goofy but witty. It's a nice change of tone after all those Soulsborne games. Not that it's better this way, just different.
- after not so great begining the game grows on me. It seems like it's like a snowball, getting better and better.
- framerate sucks on performance mode on PS5. It drops even below 30 fps in some of encounters, it's bad.
- I don't regret buyng it anymore, it has a potential to be an unique game.
- I agree From Software will have to work more on their stale combat system now. This game got some really cool implemented and fresh mechanics(like magic system and transmutation)
- still it doesn't feel like a soulslike tho it has some of it's core elements.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom