Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Bloodborne. Discuss or die!

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
BTW bros, have you heard of this mechanic?

When you get hit and lose health IF you hit back fast enough, your lost health will be replenished.

Another step towards more offensive combat.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
I interpret that article as meaning that the A-team doesn't like how the B-team made a game that is difficult for the sake of difficulty, not for the sake of quality of gameplay. DSII is almost ridiculous in how terribly designed it is, with the excuse of 'we want the player to die a lot'. DeS and DS were nowhere near as onanistic about the difficulty, and focused more on the game being fun because its challenging rather than purely difficult because hurr durr that's what players want.

*Inb4 DeS hipsters genuinely beliving there's much of a difference in quality between the two.

:retarded:

Nigger pls. DeS has as much if not more cheap crap just for the sake of fucking the player over. As a matter of fact, it suffers from a lot of the same issues as DaS2, shitty hitboxes in several places included (and even completely nonsensical enemy iframes, not even DaS2 has those). It's almost as if a team of developers tried to make a certain type of game for the first time with a new engine, and the end result suffered a bit from their inexperience.

Also, the "difficulty for the sake of difficulty" in DaS2 mostly comes in the form of groups of enemies with aggressive AI, which I'll take anyday over a level covered with a swamp that doesn't let you roll. Or having to redo the entirety of 4-2 because lol.

Seriously, they are definitely not much different in this respect, and I say this as someone who replayed DeS shortly after finishing DaS2.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
I have not played a game gloomier than Shadow Tower Abyss. Makes the Souls games look like Katamari Damacy. I'll be impressed if Bb can top that, but I doubt these guys have played it.

Got around to playing this with the fan translation...brutal & fun. But mostly brutal! :)

Zep--

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
I have not played a game gloomier than Shadow Tower Abyss. Makes the Souls games look like Katamari Damacy. I'll be impressed if Bb can top that, but I doubt these guys have played it.
doesn't look very gloomy, man

especially the dude killing the final boss with a grenade launcher:lol:

Murk

Arcane
A speed run may not be the best way to experience a game's atmosphere and intended pacing.

praetor

Arcane
so it will apparently have a form of health regen (every time you take damage, you'll have a small window of time in which a hit to any enemy will replenish a bit of your health). wtf

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
so it will apparently have a form of health regen (every time you take damage, you'll have a small window of time in which a hit to any enemy will replenish a bit of your health). wtf
I believe it's another step towards more aggressive and offensive style of combat From mentioned in most of their interviews/presentations. So when you are getting hit, you are not motivated to dodge/shield up/go backwards, but instead you are forced to hit back if you want to replenish your health.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Doesn't look that great. A lot of changes seem to be just to make it different from Dark Souls, without any benefit. Especially the UI.

bridge you see at 0:57 is the same where you fight boss. base A-Team by Miyazaki :yeah:

anyway what the fuck is that shit ?
9JLDGTM.png

Doesn't look that great. A lot of changes seem to be just to make it different from Dark Souls, without any benefit. Especially the UI.

wihtout any benefit? they want you to use more often consumables items so now you have separate buttons for healing items and throwing items.

they are moving away from old shield+sword gameplay so expect a lot of things made different like transformation of weapons or charged attacks.

controls as of august 2014

Bloodborne_Controls2.jpg

Murk

Arcane
cleric beast looks like manus; bloodborne takes place in lordran/drangleic confirmed -- getting vati on the line now we gonna make 50 lore videos plz subscribe

I couldn't tell if he was changing weapons in the fighting or if his one cleaver weapon would transform whenever necessary. And if so, is the 'change' manual or does it just auto switch for part of the combo?

EDIT: ok it so it's manual and you can do 'transformation attacks'

Nice touch on the random other hunter popping in -- reminded me of Penetrator Knight in DeS with Bjorr popping out with a "ya need some help?"; the souls games feel very empty and gamey (not empty in an atmospheric way, they do that too... but empty in a "we don't know how to make NPCs" way).

Cool name

Arcane
controls as of august 2014

Bloodborne_Controls2.jpg

That doesn't look good.

It basically reads as there being a single character type to play - Transforming weapon in main hand and gun in off hand, with the option to dual wielding the transforming weapon.

If so, meh.

The Souls games already had a problem with everyone having a tendency to end up with very samey builds. Most dudes you fight against or engage in jolly cooperation with could pretty much be the same one, with only the odd one having a weird and cool build that kind of surprises you.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
I see everything makes sense except how that ax is converted into the extended handle version.

Zep--

nimateb

Augur
I don't know why but I find the setting "boring" in contrast to DkS (yeah, I know dragons and hydras ain´t much of a novelty but whatever)

subotaiy

Cipher
From what I saw in the video, there's no equivalent for souls. How are players supposed to level in this? They're going full action game this time?

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
I thought it was "Blood Vials" or something close to that?

Zep--

Liking the art direction and atmosphere, though the environments in that demo a bit cluttered. Disliked the wheelchair enemy; would be suitably creepy, but the way it's pushed back with the wheelchair makes it sort of funny and sucks "dramatic weight" out of the scene. The way I would do it, its gun would be very very powerful, but the first hit topples the wheelchair and the enemy then has to drag itself around and claw at your legs, making it look doomed and tragic. Of course, this being a FROM game, you'd get cursed by the melee attack, or something like that.

Cool name

Arcane
lol their every game looks & plays the same

So does every Gold Box game.

Bloodborne just happens to be the next game in the long lineage which began with King's Field. They have been refining the formula for... Eleven games, including Bloodborne? And have inspired other Japanese developers to come up with a few delicious games such as Hungry Ghosts, the original Baroque, and Soul Sacrifice. Which by itself is a pretty nice list of good to great games we owe them directly or indirectly for.

What's wrong with constantly refining and updating a formula which works? They obviously like to make those games, and we obviously like to play them.

Not to mention they have released games which are nothing like those as well. Kuon, the Lost Kingdom games, and Echo Night Beyond are all pretty ace.

tumblr_inline_mtp2e7VKYx1sndfm5.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom