Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Bloodborne. Discuss or die!

Ivan

Arcane
The Emerald Herald will always remain the unsurpassed Dark Souls of waifus.
d98rr6h-16aa742f-8dcf-4afa-941c-180387b42104.jpg

Greek Anime God

Scholar
what is supposed to be so great about it?
It's on PS4 and it's made by fromsoft so it gets massively overrated. In reality it has a really cool aesthetic and setting, but everything else ranges from ok to bad. It's not a particularly good game. It's overall a downgrade over Demon's/Dark Souls.
Demon's Souls might have been when FromSoft struck gold, but it was also the game the killed the studio. Even the recent remake of Demon's Souls was a step down from the original game. Maybe they can't go back to decent oddball games like Evergrace or King's Field after milking this franchise for so long, the Soulsborne formula making them too much money to try anything else. Elden Ring should just have been named Dark Souls 4. The games aren't getting better however, every time they copy their own formula something is lost.

Since I have a PS4 and people keep raving about Bloodborne I decided to check it out and it is very underwhelming after all this hype. PC users aren't missing much, it's just Dark Souls but with a mod installed to make everything British and Anglo. I am a couple of hours in and I might have to give up on this game, what is supposed to be so great about it? The combat is also very clunky compared to actually good games on the console.
I'm not sure people are so much raving about PS4 Bloodborne rather than the possibility/desire to see a PC port because the PS4's jittery 30fps target really hampered the game's fast-paced combat. The multiplayer/ level-dependent matchmaking also died less than a year in with the launch of DS3.

Silva

Arcane
It's just boring old Dark Souls with top hats. You are just calling things great without qualifying that with anything substantial.
Plot, setting, combat and progression-wise this has absolutely nothing to do with Dark Souls. The fact you say it's DS with a top hat with a couple hours makes it clear you're getting into the game intended to hate it.

Why play a new game like that?

:prosper:

Jinn

Arcane
Ok, so now I'm going to have the temptation of playing this before the actual game looming over my head. Fuck you, Sony.

Greek Anime God

Scholar
The fact you say it's DS with a top hat with a couple hours makes it clear you're getting into the game intended to hate it.
Actually I bought the game because I thought it would be different from the old formula. If I thought I would hate it I wouldn't have bought it. And I didn't hate it, it was just boring.

Silva

Arcane
The fact you say it's DS with a top hat with a couple hours makes it clear you're getting into the game intended to hate it.
Actually I bought the game because I thought it would be different from the old formula. If I thought I would hate it I wouldn't have bought it. And I didn't hate it, it was just boring.

:hmmm:

This is a spiritual sequel to DS1. What did you expect, Age of Empires gameplay? Of course it will be similar, as it's an evolution of the formula.

What matters is: with only 2 hours you won't notice how the game realizes it's aggressive gameplay over DS1's turtling which is BB whole stchik. You won't understand the no-shield, regain, beast pellet-based frenesi of blood the game produces. Worse yet, you won't see the Chikage nor Whirlgig Saw, the greatest weapons in all Soulsdom. :obviously:

get da fuck outta here.

Last edited:

Ninjerk

Arcane
My roommate has BB. I guess I need to play it soonish, but he's experiencing Dark Souls for the first time and I don't want to mess with that.

Black Angel

Arcane
Worse yet, you won't see the Chikage nor Whirlgig Saw, the greatest weapons in all Soulsdom. :obviously:

The Whirligig Saw in particular satisfies a need deep inside me that I never knew I had before.
The need to cut pizzas?

Who do you guys and gals think is the most baddass hunter in Yharnam? Pick your favorite and see how he/she goes:

Autism, I know. But feels good. (I actually guessed the winner :smug: )

Gehrman through and through, unless we're talking strictly NPCs, then I'll withhold my vote since I actually forgot about the NPCs in the DLC

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Who do you guys and gals think is the most baddass hunter in Yharnam? Pick your favorite and see how he/she goes:

You guessed the winner of both rounds? I figured they were going to do a best of, so I only guessed one winner. I was right for round one, but not for round two since different hunters won.

Silva

Arcane

You guessed the winner of both rounds? I figured they were going to do a best of, so I only guessed one winner. I was right for round one, but not for round two since different hunters won.

Nah just first round. I'm not so autistic to keep watching past that. :lol:

Last edited:

mogwaimon

Magister
Worse yet, you won't see the Chikage nor Whirlgig Saw, the greatest weapons in all Soulsdom. :obviously:

The Whirligig Saw in particular satisfies a need deep inside me that I never knew I had before.

i don't even use the saw part of the whirligig all that much, just the club is more than enough for most things thanks to the S-tier scaling on STR. even Kirkhammer and Ludwig's can't manage that for some reason

Shamelessly stole a PS5 and rather than play any PS5 games on it I did the sensible thing and dove into Bloodborne. Game's cool so far. Not sure I'd put it as GREATEST SOULSLIKE EVER MADE GAME OF THE DECADE but it's good stuff. Haven't died (Yet) which I'm surprised by since I'm playing offline because fuck paying for multiplayer (So no messages warning me about shit) and I'm completely spoiler-free, ran shrieking past that first werewolf and those peasants when I didn't have any weapons and eventually bonfired away and got my goodies, spastically fell off a rafter when cutting down a body in that church or whatever and nearly died from the fall plus rats, wandered around completely lost, bumbled into cleric beast and managed to kill it with only two sippies of bloody d left. Gonna get whacked eventually but that was some tense shit.

:kingcomrade:

I am also surprised how much I'm enjoying the combat since I always have a lot more fun being a fatass knight in Souls games rather than DEX nerds, but I'm leaning toward strength in this too and there's often a point in Souls games where I ditch the shield in favor of two-handing so that's not too dissimilar since I'm two-handing the newbie axe.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom