Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cain on Games - Tim Cain's new YouTube channel

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You like to do that with Sawyer too. Do you live in their anal crevices? Why do you like Tim & Josh but dislike Avellone? Is that because they are gay and Avellone is not? Or because Avellone doesn't like Josh? So many questions.
I don't fully agree with any of them, but it feels important to me that the information they share about RPGs not be confined to a single source that can just disappear one day. The Fallout wiki has a treasure trove of Sawyer behind-the-scenes explanations because I took it upon myself to save a local copy of his formspring page back in 2013.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I don't fully agree with any of them, but it feels important to me that the information they share about RPGs not be confined to a single source that can just disappear one day. The Fallout wiki has a treasure trove of Sawyer behind-the-scenes explanations because I took it upon myself to save a local copy of his formspring page back in 2013.

Why did you cunningly dodge my question about Avellone? Come on Roguey. Let me repeat.

Why do you like Tim & Josh but always dig up dirt on Avellone? Is that because they are gay and Avellone is not? Or because Avellone doesn't like Josh?

I mean it's obvious that there is something *tangible* in there.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
This is very interesting. Obviously you are negatively biased towards Avellone. Very quick to point fingers, spread gossip and dig up dirt on him (and very eager). But whenever Tim or Josh (especially Josh) appear, you will sing odes about them, instantly transforming into their lawyer, translator and promoter. Strong agenda. At the same time, you won't disclose this very obvious (interpersonal) problem you have with MCA. Lastly, you claimed to accept both male and female pronouns, and call yourself a "freak." You are a very interesting person Roguey.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Why doesn't Avellone jump on the "make videos of myself talking on Youtube" trend?
Would be pretty interesting if he did.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why are you acting like Tim's translator?
Not everyone's going to have the patience to watch a video or read the transcript or go through the steps to get an AI summary, so I summarize what he says whenever I find it interesting.
>Forum full of lazy people
>One person gets up and actually does some work
>Lazy people: WTF, why does this forum increasingly reflect the tastes of this person, this isn't the Codex I loved

ds

Cipher
Patron

I talk about using game content as a reward...and why you don't see that much.

Don't most players not complete the game anyway? At least that seems to be the case with anything that has story-based Steam achievements. So it's already the case for endgame content that most people won't see it, even if the game is completely linear.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Don't most players not complete the game anyway? At least that seems to be the case with anything that has story-based Steam achievements. So it's already the case for endgame content that most people won't see it, even if the game is completely linear.
Developers already adapted to the meta and just frontload their best content (see: Larian).

The real solution to the cost problem isn't fucking procgen. Tim says in the video that it was easier to justify content as a reward 20 years ago when games were cheaper, but then he skips over the part where games should just be made cheaper. The entire genre of visual novels is built on this concept: rock bottom production costs means you can have extensive story branching.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
All media frontloads their best content, including books, tv and film. Always has been. This is old as dirt.

That's not a problem when they take care to make sure their end content is also at least decent.

It's when you have something like this that it becomes a problem, and since nu media is all lazy as shit and made by anti-talent, it's all this:

1722970367936.png

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
In Brigand: Oaxaca skill and movement affect the reticule. It's a very fun game, you should try it.
I played the demo because it was featured on the Codex curator and it was awful.

Keep in mind Roguey is the type of ?guy? who praises Pillars (ranked #63 by the Codex) and shuns Arcanum (perennial Codex top 3). It's highly doubtful that xir can even differentiate between good and bad.

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Based on the "it's not fun" feedback, there's universal consensus among professional game designers that it's bad, which is why no one's used it since the 00s.
In Brigand: Oaxaca skill and movement affect the reticule. It's a very fun game, you should try it.

Keep in mind that for Roguey "professional game designers" basically equals Josh Soyer and Tim Cain. The former managed to quickly capture the title of worst system designer in the last 20 years. The latter "created" Outer Worlds :lol:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
To be fair, this has always been the meta and devs have frontloaded their best content since the dawn of time.
A lot of classic RPGs have bad-beginning problems (hence the old cliche of "it gets better x hours in"). The RPG with the polished beginning is relatively new.

rojay

Scholar
Based on the "it's not fun" feedback, there's universal consensus among professional game designers that it's bad, which is why no one's used it since the 00s.

Keep in mind that for Roguey "professional game designers" basically equals Josh Soyer and Tim Cain. The former managed to quickly capture the title of worst system designer in the last 20 years. The latter "created" Outer Worlds :lol:
At least he posts about games. On a forum about games. You, on the other hand, are completely useless.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I think you are just butthurt rojay. I made more threads on game design and RPG theory than you, Roguey and Infinitron combined. In fact, more than 95% of this forum. Who are you, even?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
That final story was a treat. In 2018 someone from a Big Company headhunted him saying they had a great opportunity available. He goes to the interview - and it turns out to be a position as a Localization Producer. Absolutely devastated:

Driving home I was having trouble processing how I felt. I wasn't angry, I wasn't disappointed, I wasn't sad. I finally realized how I felt: I was embarrassed. I had let myself think for a few days before that lunch that someone had finally recognized my work, that someone powerful had seen the IPs I worked on directly - Fallout, Arcanum, Wild Star, Outer Worlds - and those that I helped create - Pillars of Eternity, Tyranny - and thought "let's back this guy and see what he can do with a huge set of resources under his control," and I had fantasized about what kind of game that would be. I had lots of ideas, lots of notebooks filled with potential new IPs, but no, he asked me to be a localization producer. He had no idea who I was or what I had done. I spent a few happy days thinking he did, and now, now I was just embarrassed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom