Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cain on Games - Tim Cain's new YouTube channel

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Still vague, by that definition series like Hitman and Dishonored are RPGs.
Imsims like those and Thief are role-playing very specific roles without the large commitment to scripted reactivity. The personalities of those characters are largely set in stone.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm not really interested in definition-of-an-RPG debates, but IMO a useful way to look at is this:

The quality that makes a good roleplaying game is not merely being a "game where you can build a character", nor of course a "game where the world reacts to you".

A good roleplaying game is one where you can build characters such that you to are able consistently express yourself as a wide variety of identifiable character archetypes in the context of a fictional world.

Playing as "the dude who put 4 points into STR" in a linear action game with token RPG elements is character building, but as a roleplaying experience the way I defined above, it's very weak.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
1. Morrowind uses to-hit calculation, unlike most action RPGs, making in unique
Dungeon Master and its "real-time blobber" derivatives employ to-hit calculations, as does Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss and its derivatives (including the first two Elder Scrolls games). Of course, none of these are action RPGs, and neither is Morrowind. :M

Wesp5

Arcane
Additionally, it doesn't matter if you even cheat all your weapon stats to max at the beginning because the game was tuned for shrinking reticule-gameplay.

I don't know about Deus Ex, but with Ranged Combat 10 in Bloodlines (except for bringing the weapon up, which is still slow), the crosshair basically stops moving like it should.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I don't know about Deus Ex, but with Ranged Combat 10 in Bloodlines (except for bringing the weapon up, which is still slow), the crosshair basically stops moving like it should.
The problem with guns in Bloodlines is that the ones in Santa Monica and Downtown have inherently bad accuracy and nothing about your character's statistics can improve them. You're making the experience harder for yourself if you try to use guns in the beginning.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
The problem with guns in Bloodlines is that the ones in Santa Monica and Downtown have inherently bad accuracy and nothing about your character's statistics can improve them. You're making the experience harder for yourself if you try to use guns in the beginning.
Pretty much every gun is really weak until you get your hands on a Glock and the very powerful Colt Anaconda.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
guns are strong from the start against the enemies you're told to use them against, with greater survivability before you build up your soak score, especially for clans with abilities that gel with the ranged feat score
another fake news narrative about VTMB from the fake news Roguey

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
guns are strong from the start against the enemies you're told to use them against, with greater survivability before you build up your soak score, especially for clans with abilities that gel with the ranged feat score
another fake news narrative about VTMB from the fake news Roguey
Can't hit the broadside of the barn with any of them which makes them useless. You're better off using blood buff and going hand to hand (and then melee when you get weapons better than your fists).

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
Can't hit the broadside of the barn with any of them which makes them useless.
you can, they're not
if you're not making a melee kind of character, guns will serve you perfectly well, at no point will you be left feeling like "boy, I sure do wish I was spamming fisticuffs with bloodbuff" if you had the benefit of perspective

in other news - you don't need the unofficial patch, Malk 1st playthrough is a perfectly congruent experience, guns are great
if you hear otherwise, you're not dealing with someone who wants you to have a good time but someone who wants to be seen repeating "folk wisdom" to others who accept the same "folk wisdom" (folk STUPIDITY more like)
folk stupidity is why peoples dicks get snipped in the US - if you accept bad VTMB wisdom, you're no better than a dick snipper

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
you can, they're not
if you're not making a melee kind of character, guns will serve you perfectly well, at no point will you be left feeling like "boy, I sure do wish I was spamming fisticuffs with bloodbuff" if you had the benefit of perspective

in other news - you don't need the unofficial patch, Malk 1st playthrough is a perfectly congruent experience, guns are great
if you hear otherwise, you're not dealing with someone who wants you to have a good time but someone who wants to be seen repeating "folk wisdom" to others who accept the same "folk wisdom" (folk STUPIDITY more like)
folk stupidity is why peoples dicks get snipped in the US - if you accept bad VTMB wisdom, you're no better than a dick snipper
I've played it three times, with a tremere, guns, and melee focus. The guns sucked and I had a lousy time of it until Hollywood.

1jMzma4.jpg

That's the spread of the .38 revolver, intolerable.

Though melee ends up sucking in the endgame, would not recommend anyone try to beat Ming Xiao with melee, need the flamethrower with max ammo to make it somewhat less grindy at the very least.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
you can, they're not

I've played it three times, with a tremere, guns, and melee focus. The guns sucked and I had a lousy time of it until Hollywood.

1jMzma4.jpg

Though melee ends up sucking in the endgame, would not recommend anyone try to beat Ming Xiao with melee, need the flamethrower with max ammo to make it somewhat less grindy at the very least.
Melee also works, but you need Celerity.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Melee also works, but you need Celerity.
That may make it easier, but it doesn't alleviate that Ming has 1400 HP, spawns clones of herself with 325 HP when she gets damaged enough, and the most damage you can do per hit in melee is 50.

Wesp5

Arcane

If you got that result while aiming at the spot the screenshot shows the crosshairs being, you are experiencing a bug. If you moved between the two spots, everything is fine. I played as a Toreador gunman with Celerity and by the endgame I felt like Neo in the Matrix!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

If you got that result while aiming at the spot the screenshot shows the crosshairs being, you are experiencing a bug. If you moved between the two spots, everything is fine. I played as a Toreador gunman with Celerity and by the endgame I felt like Neo in the Matrix!
I shot from farther away and then moved close up. The area where you hit is within the reticle (which can't get any tighter unless you directly edit the files yourself), not the crosshair at the center.

The guns you get in Hollywood and Chinatown have a smaller reticle, and thus a more tolerable spread.

4rDdNXR.jpg

yhxSDsC.jpg

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Tim affirms that producers and publishers don't like it when developers spend a lot of money making content that most players will never see. He suggests that they can cut costs by making unique content procedural but acknowledges this is difficult to do in a way that most people would enjoy.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Tim affirms that producers and publishers don't like it when developers spend a lot of money making content that most players will never see. He suggests that they can cut costs by making unique content procedural but acknowledges this is difficult to do in a way that most people would enjoy.

Why are you acting like Tim's translator?

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Why are you acting like Tim's translator?
Well, in the absence of Sawyer...

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Not everyone's going to have the patience to watch a video or read the transcript or go through the steps to get an AI summary, so I summarize what he says whenever I find it interesting.

You like to do that with Sawyer too. Do you live in their anal crevices? Why do you like Tim & Josh but always dig up dirt on Avellone? Is that because they are gay and Avellone is not? Or because Avellone doesn't like Josh? So many questions. I hope you will answer at least some of them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom