Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cain on Games - Tim Cain's new YouTube channel

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Nice try, but we all know Hitler Fargo threatened to put entire Fallout 2 team in the camps , until they were rescued by captain Cain and his team of superheroes.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Roguey pisses me off with his gaslighting and dunning-kruger. Programmers ITT telling him it's standard practice. He insists "sloppy work" as if he could code hello world.

I see a bunch of programmers saying "No, don't punish us for our mistakes!" Well yeah, you/they have an incentive to not want your precious bonuses taken away. Just as Fargo and the bosses have an incentive.

Fargo certainly loved Cain. As Tim said in the video, he demanded his presence on Fallout 2 because the others didn't have the "it" factor. He offered to fire the middle manager giving him problems. When Tim turned in his resignation, he spent over an hour trying to talk him out of it and only didn't spend longer because Tim had a dentist appointment and deliberately didn't talk to Brian again for the duration of the month. The bonus-docking was something he felt was absolutely necessary to crack down on sloppiness.
Considering Fargo forced them to add the Temple of Trials, it doesn't seem like he was serious about giving Tim the creative freedom he wanted.
The Temple of Trials wasn't a Fargo idea, he just let it happen. Just as he let Interplay waste a ton of money on fmv crap and other stupid ideas that forced him to panic when the solid B-title they were depending on slipped from its schedule.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
TimCain is reading your posts!

I want people to listen to these stories and gain insight into the game development process, but I don't want people to view all of the actors in these stories as either heroes or villains. Please listen with nuance, as most people in these stories made both good and bad decisions, myself included.

Should have uploaded this earlier, before I had Fargo's blood all over my raincoat.

in-american-psycho-2000-when-patrick-bateman-kills-paul-v0-bvrp9zgym8b81.jpg

"Try cutting my bonus now, you fucking stupid bastard!!"

goregasm

Scholar
We get these sorts of bonuses in my field (non tech) wife does as well. It's never really guaranteed or anything and I have gotten burned on a project or two, and it has made me go to a different company, because I could see my overall contributions were sometimes tied to other coworkers failings.

Never been in the position to give my own bonus and have it taken away/reduced though lol.

First one of his videos I have been able to watch full way through, pretty interesting drama I suppose. I like his vids, just haven't had the time, but with Pride month coming up, I suppose I should show support for his community and watch em.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Roguey reads like a fellow who has never done any kind of work in his life. Extremely naive takes on the reality of mistakes when it comes to complex engineering work.
Countpoint: I'm agreeing with the guy who built up his own multi-million dollar business through the 80s and 90s (and then lost it and built up a new business that continues to this day). Tim Cain's pretty well-to-do now, but he's not a Fargo-level success.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Roguey reads like a fellow who has never done any kind of work in his life. Extremely naive takes on the reality of mistakes when it comes to complex engineering work.
Countpoint: I'm agreeing with the guy who built up his own multi-million dollar business through the 80s and 90s (and then lost it and built up a new business that continues to this day). Tim Cain's pretty well-to-do now, but he's not a Fargo-level success.
Maybe what you said would've been impressive if Fargo wasn't heir to the Wells Fargo bank.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Maybe what you said would've been impressive if Fargo wasn't heir to the Wells Fargo bank.
You can read up on the history of Interplay https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interplay_Entertainment

He didn't start with millions.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Isn't it obvious? NCR starts colonizing space building retrofuturistic settlements, and that's how you end up on a colony ship where DefinitelyNotRickAndMorty guy finds you in Outer Worlds.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Roguey, when's the last time you coded something relatively complex that was bug-free on the first attempt?
Mistakes happen, but this mistake took so long to find and fix that it pushed Fallout into a different fiscal quarter (moved from September to October). This was not bonus-worthy behavior, someone had to pay.

Maldoror

Augur
Roguey, when's the last time you coded something relatively complex that was bug-free on the first attempt?
Mistakes happen, but this mistake took so long to find and fix that it pushed Fallout into a different fiscal quarter (moved from September to October). This was not bonus-worthy behavior, someone had to pay.
Someone had to pay for putting a lesser-than symbol before an equals sign. Unforgivable.
:timetoburn:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If only they had access to Twitter and those "I'm sorry" templates. Things would have been different and Tim would have gotten his bonus.

Melcar

Arcane
The guy fucked up. Simple as. I mean, if he really wanted the bonus he could have just documented the bug and ratted out the one responsible. He said in the video that the project had a lot of dead weight (people not really contributing or slowing things down). He decided for some reason to cover for them, I guess so they would all get bonuses or not get someone fired. But then he goes and makes his "bonus spreadsheet" to decide how to distribute the bonuses.
Not defending Fargo. The guy is a dick. The type that says one thing but acts differently.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Even if that is true the degree of the punishment was completely out of proportion to the good work that had been done.

If he was docked some pay for this but still received a large bonus he would've been a bit mad but likely stayed around. Docking his bonus to the point that he was in the lower third, despite being the director and overall huge contributor for a massive hit is insane.

That said, Fargo doesn't seem like a bad guy, and sometimes you make mistakes, especially when you're young.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
But then he goes and makes his "bonus spreadsheet" to decide how to distribute the bonuses
Must suck being the guy on the bonus list getting the least. I mean, Tim could as well just call him out, getting the least amount of the bonus might well be a death sign.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom