Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cain on Games - Tim Cain's new YouTube channel

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Good video and some good advice. Completely agree with him. :salute:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Tim was for fixed but has leaned more towards limited scaling (Outer Worlds had level floors and ceilings much like Dragon Age: Origins and New Vegas) and prefers this for all games going forward. He is not a fan of Oblivion-style level scaling.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Ideas are amazing. Ideas are like currency. Ideas are what drives the world. Ideas are what we need to get to the next stage. And not just great inventions like the train, little things like this microphone, that enables me to speak to the unwashed masses. Cain On Games is another GREAT idea. Where would we be right now?

And we have to talk about it, because great ideas don’t come in all shapes and sizes. 9/11, September 11th. And we’re gonna use some reverence here and not be silly about this, but, look at what they accomplished with no weapons and just 11 guys who didn’t even speak English! And that proves that sometimes great ideas are actually horrible ideas.
Memes are ideas too.
Which is why we must weaponize them amd deploy them.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Good video. Liked hearing his thoughts on both fixed and limited scaling and agree with him that limited level scaling does at least achieve the happy medium of progression and development.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I liked Arcanum approach to levelling.
It has a level max of 50 and makes you feel like a demigod when you reach that point.
The loot is another business, apparently it varies with each playthrough and the character name also plays a factor in determining the loot...

The idea that story event adding a few toughter enemies to random encounters table is a kind of level scaling is like saying that the game having tougher enemies during the final story mission is a kind of level scaling.

StrongBelwas

Arcane
Patron

Reiterates his previous line about fun always trumping realism or :balance:
Most RPG protagonists run and jump far more then a normal human (Not really?), Tim had a boss that referred to this as the Joy of Movement and why fun trumped realism in this instance.
When Fallout was GURPS, you started with a certain amount of hit points and that never changed, early versions of Fallout suffered from not feeling like the characters were getting progressively more powerful, armor was one solution but it didn't feel like the character themselves was changing. Considering the optional rule of splitting health and hit points into two and letting you buy more.
On the subject of economy, money sinks are often optional. People will often just avoid them, and Cain is fine with this because he thinks fun trumps realism in this instance.
Top level rule is fun trumps realism, it was the first design pillar of the Outer Worlds, used that as a counter when other developers wanted to change something in the game because it was unrealistic.
Inconsistent rules can hurt fun
People don't mind unrealism when it helps them but complain when it hurts them.
It's not realistic that you could savescum a lock in Arcanum and fast travel with the stolen goods, but nobody complains about that. But they do complain about everyone knowing the item is stolen automatically.
Pillars of game would be fun first, realism maybe third or fourth in a list of five most important things.
Science weapons in outer worlds were a case of fun trumps realism
Recommendation for people getting into game design is to make your rules, stick with them, don't worry if they are realistic or if they are antagonistic/beneficial to the player, just worry if they are fun. One inconsistency he is fine with is knocking out NPCs but not knocking out the player. Doesn't like it when players can reach areas NPCs can't like a high vantage point to shoot someone from.
Far more worried about a player reaching the endgame not able to complete it with a reasonable character then players figuring out a way to get a million coins or have every faction to like them.

90c17bf8633efbf0623c81a83b11ec750d33560a.png

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I considered the "everyone knows the item is stolen" thing as an abstraction of the item being reporting as stolen. Yeah, they're very quick about it. I think it's keen when there's stolen-status-decay so you can move the items when they're no longer hot. :)

When Fallout was GURPS, you started with a certain amount of hit points and that never changed, early versions of Fallout suffered from not feeling like the characters were getting progressively more powerful, armor was one solution but it didn't feel like the character themselves was changing.
Tim purposely not doing what Age of Decadence did.

Harthwain

Magister
I considered the "everyone knows the item is stolen" thing as an abstraction of the item being reporting as stolen. Yeah, they're very quick about it. I think it's keen when there's stolen-status-decay so you can move the items when they're no longer hot. :)
I would love to see a game where information like this is an important factor. Similarly to how order can be delayed or misunderstood by units in tactical/stategy games.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Similarly to how order can be delayed or misunderstood by units in tactical/stategy games.
Never had the joy of playing a strategy game with shit pathfinding or line of sight?

The Bishop

Cipher
I don't think there's really a dichotomy between realism and fun. This is a rather superficial take. It's like advising somebody: make good products, and bad products - don't make. As if there's some sort of argument with people advocating against fun in games.

When some people ask for more realism they do it because they think it would be more fun. Can they be wrong? Most certainly. The deeper question is why. Why is it not fun to, say, manage bladder in most games, yet it's fine in a game like Sims? Or why, for example, all fights in Fallout aren't resolved in form of cart racing? Is cart racing fun? It sure is. Is it simple to understand, is it consistent? Absolutely. So why not? Are you just denying people their fun because it's unrealistic?

Going with what is "fun" ultimately means that you don't actually know why you do things the way you do. You just stumble around and try to find your way by feel. Which is a good explanation for why Outer Worlds is such a huge departure from older games even though it seemingly follows the same "design principles".

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I don't think there's really a dichotomy between realism and fun. This is a rather superficial take. It's like advising somebody: make good products, and bad products - don't make. As if there's some sort of argument with people advocating against fun in games.

When some people ask for more realism they do it because they think it would be more fun. Can they be wrong? Most certainly. The deeper question is why. Why is it not fun to, say, manage bladder in most games, yet it's fine in a game like Sims? Or why, for example, all fights in Fallout aren't resolved in form of cart racing? Is cart racing fun? It sure is. Is it simple to understand, is it consistent? Absolutely. So why not? Are you just denying people their fun because it's unrealistic?

Going with what is "fun" ultimately means that you don't actually know why you do things the way you do. You just stumble around and try to find your way by feel. Which is a good explanation for why Outer Worlds is such a huge departure from older games even though it seemingly follows the same "design principles".
It's also entirely subjective. No two people are going to agree on how fun all the different mechanics in a game are. Part of the beauty of something like Arcanum is that multiple people with completely different conceptions of fun can find playstyles that suit them.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Tim claiming the Battle of Hoover Dam is a big fight - here's a guy who didn't save his stealth boys for this moment.

Tim's opinion is that people who complain about too much text/combat/etc in his games often bring it on themselves.

If a player goes into your dungeon and finds a bookcase full of books and decides they're going to read all of it, they're going to read each one of these, and then later they complain about how the pacing in the dungeon was off that's on them.

You have to seed a certain level of control over to the player and hope that they understand that they have this control. The way I've described it to people is: my games offer a variety but you have to select it. It's like here's your menu, there's a bunch of stuff on the menu, you may not like some of it, and you know what you like and what you don't like, if you pick something off the menu, if you're like "I hate cilantro but I'm going to try your cilantro salsa" and then you don't like it, you probably shouldn't blame the restaurant.

Though I believe there are some exceptions here. Arcanum has too many enemy-heavy dungeons on the critical path. Bloodlines's last few levels are stealth-unfriendly combat-fests.

vitellus

the irascible
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
When some people ask for more realism they do it because they think it would be more fun
the dayz mod was a fun 'realistic' game about chernograd during a minor zombie thing filled with treacherous asshats (me included) who'll rob you for your can of beans, and the realism made it challenging and fun. elite: dangerous was not super realistic because real spaceflight (let's take three days to get across the system at impulse!) wouldn't be fun for people not sperging autists. i like arcade racing games, realistic ones are stressful. my brother is the opposite and has a racing wheel of some kind because he loves that shit.

how fun realism is depends on your level of autism.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom