Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cain on Games - Tim Cain's new YouTube channel

Gandalf

Arbiter
Wasting time on bad games instead of just cloning and improving titans like Wizardry VII. It's like using bad material as a smith.

Quillon

Arcane
last vid seems to be a response to this:

Tim made his Steam profile private because I kept reporting on how many hours he was sinking into the Borderlands series. :lol: He claims that just because he plays a game lot doesn't mean he likes it, sometimes it's purely research and analysis.

uncle Tim's watching, get your act together!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
"I play games every day." Tim keeps busy.

There are some games that are so bad that he just can't stop playing them to see how bad they get, how Codexian. :lol:

His reasons are understandable to me now because I started running Steam in online mode earlier this year (now that I no longer have to concern myself with bandwidth at all) and my stats look like this.

steamstats11-2-230biir.png

I don't like Drakensang, but it's not so terrible yet as to make me rage-quit it (this can still happen though).

Regardless of his reasons, still a bit funny that he put all those hours into Borderlands, Borderlands 2, and the Pre-Sequel. :P

Wesp5

Arcane
Regardless of his reasons, still a bit funny that he put all those hours into Borderlands, Borderlands 2, and the Pre-Sequel. :P
Maybe this was so he could mess up the itemisation completely up in The Outer Worlds ;)?

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Tim: bro look at all these cool deep combat mechanics we introduced in The Outer Worlds
Players: charge pulse rifle, fire, charge pulse rifle, fire, do the same thing for the rest of the game with pulse rifle type 2 and pulse rifle type 3

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Failing/completing quests should give you flaws/perks more often. It's a pet peeve of mine that the game doesn't track your achievements and failures more closely. It would also be cool if the gameworld reacted more strongly, but giving out perks and flaws is easier to do. It's also a way to reduce degenerate quest hoarding.

Modron

Arcane
Failing/completing quests should give you flaws/perks more often. It's a pet peeve of mine that the game doesn't track your achievements and failures more closely. It would also be cool if the gameworld reacted more strongly, but giving out perks and flaws is easier to do. It's also a way to reduce degenerate quest hoarding.
The only game I can think of that did this with any regularity is the Game of Thrones RPG, it gave you small improvement perks for accomplishments like striking down a bunch of wildlings in a combat encounter you can't win, handed a number out based on your choices, completing a few quests, and other occasions I cannot recall.

StrongBelwas

Arcane
Patron

Love/hate relationship with focus group testing
Wasn't really a thing in the 80s, almost always publisher organized focus groups. Cain wonders if the publisher doesn't even know their own opinion of the game.
Likes that they are recorded, gives him a way to see them when they become frustrated or angry with aspects of the game such as UI, which can be used to instruct the team.
Feedback on people being annoyed by NPCs or confused by the narrative.
Likes the heat maps that log the player's position whenever events happen in the game. Was very helpful during Carbine because they noticed a player managed to get to a place that was only supposed to be accessed by flight or NPC assistance, so they could fix it beforehand.
Using heat maps to track deaths can let you see somewhere a level designer might have dropped a much larger foe (And possibly keep it there if you add enough warning.)
Despite that, he hates focus groups because most of the audience has no idea why they (dis)like something. They may claim they can explain why they love or hate something, but their explanation seems to be totally disconnected from how they actually play it.
People will spread their feelings about some aspects of the game to unrelated aspects (i.e they dislike the combat, so now they complain about everything else)
Focus groups can get contradictory feedback from other groups or themselves (They complain about being handheld, then they complain when there is no quest marker.) Some people are just negative, other people are too polite and only talk about what they like and you have to read between the lines for what they dislike.
On a personal level, he makes his games for himself. Focus grouping overuse turns the game into design by committee, and it feels less personal.

Focus groups are shit. That's used for crappy corporate stuff, where nobody has any passion for what they do. Artistic stuff (like games) should be driven by personal passion and insanity. Sure, sometimes it will be utter shit and fail to sell, but if Michaelangelo, Da Vinci, and Ron Jeremy didn't use focus groups, neither should vidya game developers.

StrongBelwas

Arcane
Patron

A boss is a place where the designer can have the player demonstrate they have learnt the game.
Didn't really want to use bosses in Outer Worlds.
A boss is unique because it is specially placed and designed, ideally with lots of warning ahead of time. Preparation on the part of the player is possible beforehand.
For balancing player characters that didn't bring in combat skills (Outside of simply avoiding the fight entirely), for stealth characters, you can have ways for them to prepare the encounter such as a special locked area that can weaken the boss or give them special gear. For dialogue based characters, you could have dialogue options to weaken the boss or persuade NPCs to follow you to help fight.
Leadership skill in Outer Worlds was one method for speech characters to handle boss fights easier.
Bosses can have smaller monsters to benefit players with area of effect abilities.
Bosses can go through stages that make players adapt.
In ToEE, Zuggtmoy's various options when they surrender was one way to make the fight more interesting.
Environmental hazards can be added to the fight as it goes on, also giving a benefit to player characters that upgraded movement options.
Post-boss, you can have NPC's react to equipment the player looted from the boss (One example of this was in Arcanum, where armor reaction was implemented with the intention to use it with bosses ) or have the world mention it was killed, such as with reputation or titles.

Last edited:

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

A boss is a place where the designer can have the player demonstrate they have learnt the game.
Didn't really want to use bosses in Outer Worlds.
A boss is unique because it is specially placed and designed, ideally with lots of warning ahead of time. Preparation on the part of the player is possible beforehand.
For balancing player characters that didn't bring in combat skills, for stealth characters, you can have ways for them to prepare the encounter such as a special locked area that can weaken the boss or give them special gear. For dialogue based characters, you could have dialogue options to weaken the boss or persuade NPCs to follow you to help fight.
Leadership skill in Outer Worlds was one method for speech characters to handle boss fights easier.
Bosses can have smaller monsters to benefit players with area of effect abilities.
Bosses can go through stages that make players adapt.
In ToEE, Zuggtmoy's various options when they surrender was one way to make the fight more interesting.
Environmental hazards can be added to the fight as it goes on, also giving a benefit to player characters that upgraded movement options.
Post-boss, you can have NPCs react to equipment the player looted from the boss or have the world mention it was killed.

Or you can just talk the main boss out of his evil plans:
Fallout 1 - The Master
Arcanum - Kerghan.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Funny thing about Zuggtmoy is that if you agree to parley but don't agree to her surrender, she just refills back to full health so you would have been better off not talking to her at all. :M

Fallout 1 - The Master
Arcanum - Kerghan.
Outer Worlds as well. Never saw that boss fight.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Funny thing about Zuggtmoy is that if you agree to parley but don't agree to her surrender, she just refills back to full health so you would have been better off not talking to her at all. :M

Fallout 1 - The Master
Arcanum - Kerghan.
There's also the Balor in the Fire Node...
If it were a true Balor with its proper stats from the 3.5 rulebook, it would've quickly ended your party's run and result in a TPK.
Even without its stats and abilities, the Balor is still strong and the fight is still tough.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Regarding flaws, the Outer Worlds implementation wasn't really interesting. If I recall correctly the bonuses were usually just some flat bonus to damage or movespeed if you meet a condition. Cain's issue with flaws on character creation is that you have to be aware what your character concept will be, but isn't that true anyway? Every system I can think of makes you do the most playstyle or build defining choices in character creation. And the magic of flaws is always thinking of how you are going to circumvent the particular disadvantages, which again is easier to do when you are deciding it when making your other build relevant choices. Getting a flaw later on the game is usually forced on you, because it doesn't really make much sense to hamper yourself on your own volition. And having a permanent injury or whatever is usually either part of the risks you are willing to take, or just plain irritating.

Fallout 1 - The Master
Arcanum - Kerghan.

In Outer Worlds, the final boss is the desire to uninstall.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Tim zeroed in on flaws and ignored the more interesting part of his 5 DEX Cleric anecdote. It would be really cool if your characters were assigned (maybe randomly from a pool) a personal quest based on how you built them. The overall narrative of the game could be the same, but now your Fighter who only rolled a 15 STR wants to defeat a frost giant to prove that he's tougher than he looks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom