Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Caves of Lore - turn-based pixel art RPG inspired by classics

Modron

Arcane
Grah I can't stop playing this! It's very addictive somehow
It's all the neat exploration combined with constant improvement of abilities, skills, spells, and gear. It never ends until you force it to end by finishing it.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Oof this game is a bit overwhelming with all the systems and icons that don't have tooltips lmao.

It's pretty cool though.

Yeah, this is my biggest criticism of the game. It's likely due to this being a solo-dev's first game. A lot of the information you want is in the game, but it's hidden in weird locations.

This is also true.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yeah same happened to me. I think the magic this guy did pull off was he did the Exploration mechanic just right. That was just my initial thoughts when first playing this. I was like What the hell? I'm..... having.... fun. WTF is this??

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
It's not janky, it's prestigious.

It's not made by one dude in a basement, its auteur.

It's not low budget, it's fueled by passion.

It's not programmer pixel art, it's nostalgic goodness.

:greatjob:

See, when something's good, you use different descriptors.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
While I wouldn't call it janky, I would say that there is a lot for LoreMaster to learn for a sequel. If he managed to put out a game that I enjoyed, and was willing to spend ~35 hours on for a first game, there is potential for something even better.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
On the topic of builds, I'm glad I built a tankier guy for my main character. It was a bold decision to make all the early companions on the squishier side.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
On the topic of builds, I'm glad I built a tankier guy for my main character. It was a bold decision to make all the early companions on the squishier side.
I had the froggo as my tank, and my main character as the one that did the highest physical damage.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
I had the froggo as my tank, and my main character as the one that did the highest physical damage.

Did you boost his resistance? He seemed more like a high strength/low defense barbarian type character. My main character and Gallitzin were my main tanks. Rycard with his backstabbing was my biggest single-target damage dealer.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron

Did you boost his resistance? He seemed more like a high strength/low defense barbarian type character. My main character and Gallitzin were my main tanks. Rycard with his backstabbing was my biggest single-target damage dealer.
I had him use the best armor, shield, and defensive amulets, rings. I liked jumping in with him, and then have my character, and a mace user backstab. I also had a mage/archer with healing spells, and holy damage.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
I had him use the best armor, shield, and defensive amulets, rings. I liked jumping in with him, and then have my character, and a mace user backstab. I also had a mage/archer with healing spells, and holy damage.

I outfitted my main guy with all the best gear, and he was a better tank out of the box. The frog just seemed like another squishy melee character when I was already rolling with Arbo and Rycard. Leap is nice though. My biggest problem with Gallitzin was that he frequently seemed to be out of range for doing anything.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron

I outfitted my main guy with all the best gear, and he was a better tank out of the box. The frog just seemed like another squishy melee character when I was already rolling with Arbo and Rycard. Leap is nice though. My biggest problem with Gallitzin was that he frequently seemed to be out of range for doing anything.
Give him a weapon that has reach. Flails works wonders.

Yosharian

Arcane
I had to turn off the music, it gets annoying after 30+ hours. Had to take a break anyway cos my mouse hand was getting fucking wrecked by the game, there is so much ability use in each fight and there is a LOT of combat.

The problem with Bhulown is that he comes with Mighty which is currently bugged. As well as his shitty stats, but you can fix that with gold later I guess.

Last edited:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Got it since it was so high on 'dex RPGotY awards and it's cheap, but I know little about the game. Is it a roguelike with randomly generated dungeons, a tactical game (which wouldn't suprise me since JA3 is apparently an RPG here), or actually an RPG? Focuses on dialogues and quests or combat? I'll give it a try this weekend probably, but I'd like to know what to expect.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Got it since it was so high on 'dex RPGotY awards and it's cheap, but I know little about the game. Is it a roguelike with randomly generated dungeons, a tactical game (which wouldn't suprise me since JA3 is apparently an RPG here), or actually an RPG? Focuses on dialogues and quests or combat? I'll give it a try this weekend probably, but I'd like to know what to expect.
In a nutshell, it's an early 90s CRPG with a modern combat system.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
One man developed rpg with jrpg style combat, fun exploration, and no hand holding. You get to assign points to different crap as you level up, but there is also a learn-by doing system. You'll get a four man party. Experiment with what type of group you want to combine. I rotated six characters on and off during the game. There is a journal, but you'll mostly have to find where you want to go on your own, and puzzles and secrets aren't spelled out to you. I enjoyed the 34 hours I spent with the ame, and I would give it a 8/10. Some codexers like it more than me, while a few didn't like the combat. Remember that if you get tired of encounters, you can use stealth mode to avoid enemies while exploring.

Naraya

Arcane
> Remember that if you get tired of encounters, you can use stealth mode to avoid enemies while exploring.

Or use Cheat Engine to increase combat speed 5x. Felt less like "cheating" to me than using stealth.

edit: how can I quote only a part of the multi-quote post? It never works for me.

ShaggyMoose

Savant
If there is anything more satisfying than immediately torching a large mob with a Sun Nova spell, I haven't found it yet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom