Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Codex Year of the Donut
one of the more disappointing things is how lifeless random NPCs are. Their entire dialogue boils down to "what?" and "hi"
they even use a different voice if they were engaged in a scripted scene and you walked up to talk to them

Codex Year of the Donut
I have good performance despite being bottlenecked by my old gtx 980, idk about the performance complaints

hard to comment on the CPU-side of things tho because I play on my dev machine which has a threadripper 2950x
I'm talking about things like AI driving in a straight line, people on the street following hilariously rudimentary pathing, cops and cars materializing in the air etc. All this exists because complex AI routines require powerful CPUs and RAM capacity and the last gen consoles have neither. And CDPR didn't split the game into two very different versions for PC/new gens on one hand and last gens on the other. So everybody is stuck with the shit sandwich.

Hence the hope we could get a proper version of the game without compromises with the next gen patch.
barely anyone can even buy a next-gen console(Sony said they expect the PS5 shortage to last until at least 2023) and people are using years old PC components due to global shortages
they're not going to waste money on something like that

Wesp5

Arcane
one of the more disappointing things is how lifeless random NPCs are. Their entire dialogue boils down to "what?" and "hi"
they even use a different voice if they were engaged in a scripted scene and you walked up to talk to them

So what games do this differently? Bloodlines had simple random lines years ago and the last time I played GTA V it wasn't much better either. And honestly, I don't care! Random NPCs are just scenery. What I want are more unique sidequests like the one with the vending machine AI and not just another crime scene where I can easily kill anyone.

Codex Year of the Donut

So what games do this differently? Bloodlines had simple random lines years ago and the last time I played GTA V it wasn't much better either. And honestly, I don't care! Random NPCs are just scenery. What I want are more unique sidequests like the one with the vending machine AI and not just another crime scene where I can easily kill anyone.
How about anything? Discuss an important topic, say something about corporations, just say something. They all feel like soulless clones who exist just to populate an otherwise empty area.
oblivion's radiant conversations actually look good in comparison to what we have now, and that's not something I thought I'd ever type out in my life

and yes, the crime scenes are way overdone and get very repetitive. No idea why they thought cyberpunk would be a good game to turn into a police simulator.

A horse of course

This is why you're fat

Codex Year of the Donut
another complaint: you can just spam healing items
this is something they specifically prevented in Witcher 3 with toxicity, you had to be careful with potion usage and they had limited charges that had to be refilled while meditating.
Not so in cyberpunk, you can just spam healing inhalers all day long and they're plentiful and everywhere.

Wunderbar

Arcane
this is something they specifically prevented in Witcher 3 with toxicity, you had to be careful with potion usage and they had limited charges that had to be refilled while meditating.
they prevented it in The Witcher 1 and 2, in TW3 you can just spam food because it's almost as effective as elixirs.

Gargaune

Magister
I'm talking about things like AI driving in a straight line, people on the street following hilariously rudimentary pathing, cops and cars materializing in the air etc. All this exists because complex AI routines require powerful CPUs and RAM capacity and the last gen consoles have neither.
This is correct and easy to check for yourself in various games - once there's dynamic AI in the mix, CPU operations will start bottlenecking the GPU and your framerate will decrease. I think DX4 is a pertinent and relatively recent example because its AI routines aren't exceptionally complex relative to Cyberpunk's, and the FPS difference is easily observable once there's decor NPCs hanging around. Hell, I think even Fallout 4 has a hardcoded limit of only 45 active NPCs on screen, and you risk instability if they all start pathfinding around.

So whatever the reason when it comes to Cyberpunk, be it unfortunate design or poor coding, CPU load has already been budgeted for common target hardware, which means cramming in more sophisticated AI behaviours post-launch is very unlikely. The game's already struggling on lower-end platforms.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This is correct and easy to check for yourself in various games - once there's dynamic AI in the mix, CPU operations will start bottlenecking the GPU and your framerate will decrease. I think DX4 is a pertinent and relatively recent example because its AI routines aren't exceptionally complex relative to Cyberpunk's, and the FPS difference is easily observable once there's decor NPCs hanging around. Hell, I think even Fallout 4 has a hardcoded limit of only 45 active NPCs on screen, and you risk instability if they all start pathfinding around.

So whatever the reason when it comes to Cyberpunk, be it unfortunate design or poor coding, CPU load has already been budgeted for common target hardware, which means cramming in more sophisticated AI behaviours post-launch is very unlikely. The game's already struggling on lower-end platforms.
How do they do it in RDR2 and GTAV though?

Wesp5

Arcane

Or even worse, in any of the Assassins Creed games. I got the free Egypt and Greek tours and there are literally hundreds of NPCs around and busy living their lives all the time! I don't think you can talk much to them either though...

Last edited:

oneself

Arcane
Shitposter
A minority-white, multicultural hellscape
is there really no way to make a white character?
image.png

Its year 2077 dumbfuck. The white man is no more.

Gargaune

Magister
I'm not saying it can't be done, just that it's unlikely to be done now. Rockstar budgeted performance for those sort of AI behaviours into building their games, it's rather apparent that CDPR didn't and I'm not sure how much headroom they could squeeze out of optimising the internals after shipping. Obviously I can only speculate on what Cyberpunk does with its CPU cycles, but even early reviews noted that it was quite processor-intensive and half a year of patching doesn't seem to have made a huge bit of difference.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Not so in cyberpunk, you can just spam healing inhalers all day long and they're plentiful and everywhere.

You don't even need potions in Witcher 3 if you have Gourmet. Now what?

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
is there really no way to make a white character?
image.png

Its year 2077 dumbfuck. The white man is no more.
Right. So many peeps don't understand that cyberpunk is utopian. This is what progressives want to see. Free market economies within city-states, knit together by the global economy. No white people left, only vibrant and mixed bames. The reddit view is also that cyberpunk is critical of transhumanism and capitalism when it is a celebration of it. Don't like your arm? In the cyberpunk unrestricted market you can buy a new one that is much better than the old one. Some hoodlums causing trouble on your street? Put out a contract on them and see them eat concrete moments later. In Cyberpunk 2077 they have rethought policing and freelancers like the player simply cut down gang bangers in the street for cash. Every element of Cyberpunk 2077's world is like this, a brilliant vision of the higher echelons of progress. If Canadians had a button to press that would grant them all of that they would smash it so hard.

Marat

Arcane
Wumao

Wunderbar

Arcane
A playable beta of Cyberpunk 2077 has been discovered on the ps4 physical copy.

The version of Cyberpunk 2077 located on every physical copy of the game is from late September of 2020, over two months before the release date. Thanks, in part to the insanely rushed final months of development, it's bursting with cut content that was removed at the last minute in a dash to make the build run on last-gen consoles. The best part? Anyone can play it, right now.

ADL

Prophet
The UX changes are interesting but I don't foresee any major cut content coming out of the late September build of the game but who knows with this game.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Is the game worth playing, and is it better than GTA5 at least?

Codex Year of the Donut
Is the game worth playing, and is it better than GTA5 at least?
never played gta5

They did the basic gameplay loop well which is about all I can say. Other than that... meh.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom