Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Jason Liang

Arcane
The disappointment, the lies, the lifeless open world,

Night City doesn't feel lifeless. It feels somewhat like Westworld - perhaps not a sandbox filled with realistic human beings, but filled with passable hosts simulating human behavior for storytelling purposes, or perhaps Sims. It is no worse than Bloodlines' LA, and certainly has improvements on it.

Nothing significant about the game has fundamentally improved since the release - the story still remains the same, I still don't give a fuck about Jackie or his girlfriend or his mom, or any of the so-called life paths because ultimately none of them mattered.

Agree that the story and structure of the game is a huge flaw of the game. But the lifepaths actually matter quite a lot, at least in my game Streetkid comes up in many missions and changes quite a few of them. For example, as soon as I got to act 2, there was a side job, "Ezekiel Saw the Wheel" that I could do with no combat due to Streetkid and gain enough xp to reach level 20. Otherwise the fight is pretty difficult for that point in the game.

I won't deny the game has some gorgeous visuals from time to time, but even that's wasted when you can barely experience any of it truly - it's just like a postcard with a pretty picture on it, it might be nice, but it's just a postcard and away it goes to the pile or some forgotten corner of the house.

The city is no less immersive than GTA Vs San Andreas. Driving around, especially on a chopper, feels immersive enough to me, especially with easter eggs in plenty of places to reward curiosity and exploration.

What I find the worst offense about this game is that for all it's a cyberpunk game, you can barely get any proper cybernetics for yourself - sure, you get 3 or was it 4 types of arms that you can interchange, but that's it, everything else just falls into some slots, boosting your stats or whatever. Fuckers didn't bother exploring anything about cybernetics.
Opti-camo for invisibility and Reinforced Ankles for double jump/ hover/ power jump both dramatically change traversal and combat tactics. Smart link enables smart weapons while ballistics enables ricochet. Body cyberware provides automatic healing, while other cyberware provide immunity to the different damage types. Choosing between Berserk, Sandevistan or Cyberdeck completely changes how V approaches combat. The four different arm weapons are all useful in their own way and fun.

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
FM, no offense, but have you ever provided anything more than these little basically one-liner 'quips' of yours as opinions of RPGs -- or, for that matter, of anything -- here on RPG Codex?

Jason Liang

Arcane
the lifepaths actually matter quite a lot
t. Jazon Liangowski
As if shilling for a game 3 years after its release makes any difference to the dev studio.

Compared to Bloodlines, sure Lifepath has less impact than Malk, Nos and Tremere. But it does make about as much impact as the difference between Gangrel, Brujah and Ventrue.

Last edited:

jackofshadows

Magister
So, the V is still dying. Eh, I was hoping for something akin to Blood and Wine, here we have a predicable outcome.

KVVRR

Learned
So, the V is still dying. Eh, I was hoping for something akin to Blood and Wine, here we have a predicable outcome.
Looks like it's a new ending path though. I don't remember V ever being so accepting of their own mortality save in the last mission.

Perkel

Arcane
There is some more info on their site

Seems like either they reworked skill tree or there is new part of tree or something.
In trailer there is car combat which was rumored to be in.

26.09 release.

Still practically no info about expansion other than story bits. If they won't announce anything this probabky means this is just H&S like expansion story only and probably very linear.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
More to my theory they just mindlessly copied Red Dead's plot, they didn't think this out and have written themselves into a corner.
They either undermine what drama they've built by having a new cure ending or nothing of significance actually happens in this expansion.

Vatnik Wumao
Compared to Bloodlines, sure Lifepath has less impact than Malk, Nos and Tremere. But it does make about as much impact as the difference between Gangrel, Brujah and Ventrue.
Sure, but that's a far cry from the sort of impact that the devs had advertised (or at the very least implied) for the lifepaths. What we ultimately got in the game is just a half-baked implementation with the lifepath-specific intros which are completely detached from the main plot (with the game ultimately feeling like you're playing a street kid regardless of your particular intro choice) and some lifepath-specific token dialogue choices here and there which in the overwhelming majority of cases do not influence quest outcomes.

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Trailers confirm all the leaks from a year ago are all true. From songbird to the size of the DLC. It will be B&W big, but between B&W and hearts of stone.

Perkel

Arcane
Seems like CDPR did press tour and now "journalists" make videos about their impressions from expansions:

- V is smuggled into dogtown (closed part of pacifica) and he can't easily leave it.
- IGN claims that devs touched "almost everything about game"
- Almost all systems in game are reworked.
- Skill trees are reworked completely, all % skills are gone and instead every skill gives you something substantial in form of perk.
- complete overhaul of cybernetics, you have now limit to which you can install cyberware safely over which you get debuffs. That limits seems to rise with character level. Aka higher level the more cyberware you can use safely.
- Armor is not tied to clothes anymore but it is tied to body cyberware.
- Complete overhaul of police system.
- new character models in game, they mention johny got reworked character model which is much better now.
- IGN claims initial missions are not linear citing few cases.
- melee overhaul, multiple finishers per weapon type
- weapon mod overhaul
- weapon overhaul plus new weapons
- new "relic" system where you can acquire powerful cyberware. Mentioned rocket jumps, monowire that autoapplies quickhacks etc.
- overhaul of health. you can't heal every 2 seconds now, they somehow compensated it. Healing items are on cooldown.

some new ui shot:

image.png

Last edited:

RepHope

Savant
Yeah the big marketing point is that they’re seemingly completely reworking the gameplay systems for Cyberpunk.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom