Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Gargaune

Arcane
In my experience people who use a nickname consistently do talk like that. Annoying or not it's true to life.
That's rough, bro, I'm sorry. I've got friends who always go by their nicknames amongst ourselves, they've stuck over the years, but they never actually say "my name is" such-and-such, and they always use their proper names when introducing themselves to new people. Meanwhile, Phantom Liberty's old teaser literally opens with V taking a formal oath as "I, V, do solemnly swear..." Might as well keep your fingers crossed behind your back.

It depends on the relationship. A relative of mine uses a stage name and sometimes people don't know who I'm talking about until I realize they only know him by that. Criminals also often are known by their birth name only by their mom and the police, while everyone else only reacts to "Roach". But I assume the real reason they didn't want to use Vincent/Valerie in that trailer is because V's real name isn't used much and could be confusing.

Dishonoredbr

Erudite
complete overhaul of cybernetics, you have now limit to which you can install cyberware safely over which you get debuffs. That limits seems to rise with character level. Aka higher level the more cyberware you can use safely.
Finally. It never made sense why installing Cybernetics on V never had ANY effect on them. Even on Shadowrun CRPGs had something to limit you.

Gargaune

Arcane
It depends on the relationship. A relative of mine uses a stage name and sometimes people don't know who I'm talking about until I realize they only know him by that. Criminals also often are known by their birth name only by their mom and the police, while everyone else only reacts to "Roach". But I assume the real reason they didn't want to use Vincent/Valerie in that trailer is because V's real name isn't used much and could be confusing.
A stage name isn't a nickname, though, it's basically a fake identity you work under, and it has to be a credible one to that effect. For the rest, the problem isn't that these characters are introducing themselves as "Songbird" or "V", but that they're treating these nicknames as formal first names. The solutions are to say "I am Songbird" instead of "My name is Songbird" and, respectively, "I solemnly swear", skipping the "V" part.

I know it's a silly thing to rag on, but it does piss me off as negligent writing. Your name's the thing in your driver's license, not what Big Joe calls you down at the bowling alley. Or behind it.

I know it's a silly thing to rag on, but it does piss me off as negligent writing. Your name's the thing in your driver's license, not what Big Joe calls you down at the bowling alley. Or behind it.
As a lifelong member of the "Words Mean Things, Damn It" society I get where you're coming from. For me, though, the inability to communicate clearly is so widespread that this particular failure gets lost in the noise.

updated requirements on PC.

First game to require NVME ? They also booted out HDD completely.

image.png
Original game requirements are also all over the place. The performance gap between a 6700 and a 12700 is immense. These requirements make little sense, just like before.

However, ever since release, I've seen little that justifies these absurd requirements. The game world remains lifeless and uneventful as it was on day one, and no patch has changed that. There's nothing there that justifies having such high CPU requirements other than a shitty engine with shitty optimization. Zero game systems make use of these requirements, only the graphics spectacle. NPC AI is just as bad as in any Ubisoft game released in the last decade.
Companies will sometimes advertise they're hiring to give the impression they are growing, even though they have no intention of hiring anyone. I'm wondering if this is the video game equivalent of that. State that the game requires the latest hardware to play at its ultimate settings to future-proof the game to continually get free press in benchmark articles/videos, even if those maxed out settings only result in an extra few ray-traced fat fucks or dildos on-screen.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member

image.png
Original game requirements are also all over the place. The performance gap between a 6700 and a 12700 is immense. These requirements make little sense, just like before.

However, ever since release, I've seen little that justifies these absurd requirements. The game world remains lifeless and uneventful as it was on day one, and no patch has changed that. There's nothing there that justifies having such high CPU requirements other than a shitty engine with shitty optimization. Zero game systems make use of these requirements, only the graphics spectacle. NPC AI is just as bad as in any Ubisoft game released in the last decade.
Companies will sometimes advertise they're hiring to give the impression they are growing, even though they have no intention of hiring anyone. I'm wondering if this is the video game equivalent of that. State that the game requires the latest hardware to play at its ultimate settings to future-proof the game to continually get free press in benchmark articles/videos, even if those maxed out settings only result in an extra few ray-traced fat fucks or dildos on-screen.
I think this is pretty much it. They are still used as a benchmark game after 2 years with all the RT shit they keep adding. It costs them little to turn up the graphical options in Cyberpunk 2.0 and remain relevant in those benchmarks for another 2 years.

Toffeli

Atomkrieg, ja bitte
Patron
Wasteland 2
From horse mouth. Pawel Sasko to VGN:

“All the core, main systems of the game have been redone or updated in a major way,” he told VGC. “The biggest ones are the perks and skill trees, which have been rebuilt completely, and the next one is we’ve added vehicle combat which enables new car chases.
“We’ve also greatly expanded AI and completely redone the police system, which is rebuilt from the ground up and now has multiple levels with multiple archetypes of enemies who will chase you – it’s also different in Dog Town compared to Night City.
“We’ve also redone the loop and whole progression of the game; the difficulty curve is different, the tiers and drops of loot is different, the archetypes of enemies has been redone for more variety. Those are the core things that we’ve changed, and if you look into it there are very few systems that we didn’t change or update. Even the UI and UX have been greatly updated.
“We also looked at the criticism for example of the open world. When you play the base game versus Phantom Liberty, you will see the difference. For example, there are car chases that happen dynamically when factions fight. AI improvements mostly extends to enemies. Your followers, like you saw with Agent Reed in the demo, can also use it, but pedestrians are mostly bug fixes.”
As well as the amount of time CD Projekt has committed to creating this expansion – the base game released almost three years ago – the improvements added with Phantom Liberty are enabled by the decision to jettison the technically flawed last-gen console versions and utilise the additional memory available to new-gen-only games.

Dog Town, the expansion’s new area, is vast and densely populated, and CD Projekt claims it’s improved enemy AI, overhauled vehicle gameplay and added new activities for players to discover. As a fan of the original game, the promise of a new story focused on the spy thriller genre is exciting – especially because Sasko says there’s almost as much Johnny Silverhand (aka Keanu Reeves) here as in the base game.
But the sheer number of systemic changes almost demands a brand new playthrough. Cyberware has been completely redone, for example, with a new capacity system indicating how much Cyberware your character’s body can take before it sends them cyberpsycho.
All Skill trees have been changed to focus on giving players actual abilities they can use in the game, rather than the stat-based changes featured in the original game. For instance, one will add a new dash move, another will allow players to deflect bullets, or perform execution finishers. Modifiers around each skill allow players to further power up these abilities.
In addition, there’s a new unique Relic tree with upgrades that will add further twists to the Cyberware that you have installed, such as by adding new abilities to your mantis blades. These skills require unique Relic points to upgrade, which are found by exploring Dog Town – an addition CD Projekt Red says it’s introduced to give players more to do in the sandbox – a common criticism at launch.

Finally, vehicle combat has been totally rebuilt. Players now have more options to battle enemies while driving, or even use weaponised vehicles with cannons or guns mounted on board. The changes also extend to how players will obtain cars in the game, via new Courier missions.
“We put a lot work into vehicle combat,” explains Sasko. “You can aim your handgun through the windshield or windows. There are also weaponised vehicles with gatling guns or rockets that you can actually use and shoot.
“Some of the cars from the base game will be updated and weaponised, whereas others you can just open up doors like from our original CGI trailer where V was shooting out of the door. On motorcycles you can use your katana.”
Vehicles also now have weak spots like their charging ports. A showcase of this is Phantom Liberty’s new Courier activity. “Mama Welles, a fixer from the base game, will now have vehicles marked across Night City that you can steal. However, there will be certain objectives you need to complete, such as by stealing it without any damage while you’re chased.

FURTHER READING

https://www.videogameschronicle.com...hantom-liberty-gets-a-september-release-date/

Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty gets a September release date

The upcoming DLC expansion will be current gen only
“There are many variants of that quest, like having to follow a car and hack it remotely to steal it. This activity is infinitely repeatable, because players complained that they were not able to obtain all of the cars in the original game. That’s another thing that we’ve overhauled: cars are no longer purchasable from fixers like in the base game. Instead, Mama Welles has a website in the game where he adds more cars – and some of them are weaponised.”
For whatever reason, CD Projekt Red appears to have undersold the sheer amount of content being changed or added with Cyberpunk’s expansion – we’ve not even mentioned the new Airdrop activities, which see random loot caches dropped on the map and a race to secure them.
The developer says it’s still discussing the exact details of when and how base game owners will receive the new systems, but that its intention is to deploy them for free. So as well as adding a sizable chunk of new story to Night City, Phantom Liberty looks like it could finally do good on many of the promises the base game failed to live up to for many, before the game’s leaders move Stateside to establish the sequel dev team.
“I’m one of the directors who are moving to the US,” Sasko said. “Currently we’re in the process of organising everything when it comes to the office and will be heavily hiring during 2024. But right now the majority of our focus is on Phantom Liberty because we just need to leave the game in great shape as well as we can. We need to make sure this is received as well as it can.”

"old" stuff from previous page:

- V is smuggled into dogtown (closed part of pacifica) and he can't easily leave it.
- IGN claims that devs touched "almost everything about game"
- Almost all systems in game are reworked.
- Skill trees are reworked completely, all % skills are gone and instead every skill gives you something substantial in form of perk.
- complete overhaul of cybernetics, you have now limit to which you can install cyberware safely over which you get debuffs. That limits seems to rise with character level. Aka higher level the more cyberware you can use safely.
- Armor is not tied to clothes anymore but it is tied to body cyberware.
- Complete overhaul of police system.
- new character models in game, they mention johny got reworked character model which is much better now.
- IGN claims initial missions are not linear citing few cases.
- melee overhaul, multiple finishers per weapon type
- weapon mod overhaul
- weapon overhaul plus new weapons
- new "relic" system where you can acquire powerful cyberware. Mentioned rocket jumps, monowire that autoapplies quickhacks etc.
- overhaul of health. you can't heal every 2 seconds now, they somehow compensated it. Healing items are on cooldown.
- UI/UX rework

some new stuff:

- installing cyberware now has a first person cutscene added to it, just like in the prologue at Vik's clinic
- All reworks and changes will apply even if you don't buy expansion. It is effectively cyberpunk 2.0 from what i read.
- vehicles are no longer bought from fixers, but bought through a website set up by mama welles
- some vehicles have guns installed on them (machine guns, rocket launchers)
- dynamic gang wars as well as chases
- you can now shoot from inside of car etc. use sword on bike.
- new type of infinitely replayable/repeatable missions are being added where you need to steal certain vehicles marked on your map
- new activity introduced "airdrops", loot caches that drop randomly on the map that you can fight over and retrieve for yourself
- tons of new random events/activities are added to make the world feel more alive, like car chases and gang fights
- From what I understand, going cyberpsycho means you enter a rage-mode where you put out aswell as receive more dmg
- All vehicles have detailed damage-models, you can shoot through/break windows, slash tires and there's new quick-hacks to accelerate or stop enemy cars
- Gigs in dogtown are bigger and usually include more dialogue than the ones in the base game

fixers won't spam you about new cars. great change.

-cyberware now can be attuned to attributes giving you bonuses:
image.png
Sooo, dead game?

Perkel

Arcane
Reading those changes it's an entirely new game.

Weirdly there is no official info from CDPR on all of those. All those things are either from interviews with Sasko or by journalists who found differences themselves and report on found stuff.

I mean stuff like cybernetics getting their own ripperdoc installation animation is something out of one journalist. If he didn't asked about it, we wouldn't know.

Seems like CDPR will have second PR campaign before expansion hits stores where they will go into detail. So far this seems to be throwing bones to press and not full scope.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

image.png

I think this is pretty much it. They are still used as a benchmark game after 2 years with all the RT shit they keep adding. It costs them little to turn up the graphical options in Cyberpunk 2.0 and remain relevant in those benchmarks for another 2 years.

I'm wondering more if the SSD/NVME thing is due to the weird bottlenecking. Many of the bugs that were going around online were a result of bottlenecking, from what I understand, so it may be to try and avoid having the same shit show reception again. New consoles are all SSD, so the main thing they'd have to worry about is some dickhead with a 5400RPM drive complaining about all the weird glitches despite his cutting edge system.

Perkel

Arcane
All new consoles have NVME not SSDs.
And yes on old consoles most of bugs were caused by HDDs as game broke when things didn't load in time.

Old consoles also aren't getting any of that. In last 1.6 update they said this is the last update for PS4/xboxone.

Perkel

Arcane
Watching videos.

Seems like shooting with gun now has stamina cost. Some guns have huge costs, some lower ones. I thought it was maybe some sort of new VATS system or something like that but in slow time mode it actually didn't use stamina at all.

I assume that to fire better weapons etc. you will have either watch out for stamina or mod yourself to support better guns. Seems like good idea. Never liked whole "You can use everything under artificial lvl limit" Some guns did have body limit but that was very artificial as well.

On all guns in videos I don't see any randomness with chemical/thermal/ele split. Maybe they standardized weapons or something. You still have something like +50% headshot that was innate property of some weapons. I assume higher tiers of weapons will just have better those innate capabilities.

There are mods that on smart weapons increase auto targeting time or zone size. So it seems that weapons will be more customizable or upgradable beside just +20% to damage.

Trithne

Erudite
Sounds like they realised that borderlands loot is shit. The borderlands loot was one of my bigger gripes with the game, the other being that build variety was actually pretty non-existent. If they've corrected these things then all that's left is the main story being linear trash right up to the end, but I could go do the gigs again, they're the only really interesting part of the game.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Note to self: go in and write down what perks I already have so I can as closely as possibly reproduce them after the re-spec.
probably not worth it, if its true what they said about percentages, half of the perks will be replaced

Perkel

Arcane
Seems like my hunch about CDPR not being ready to talk about gameplay changes is true. One of youtubers started talking with lead level artist and he confirmed changes dude found but he said that this press tour focus is only on story and they won't confirm anything they won't find.

Lead level design dev further said "there will be separate event before expansion release where they will go into detail" about changes"

So any new info is pretty much only info people found out or they were able to get out of devs. This is not full list at all.

Riso

Arcane
What amuses me about the trailer is that the amount of explosions and shooting is in stark contrast to their claimed "spy-thriller".

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Learned
I assume that to fire better weapons etc. you will have either watch out for stamina or mod yourself to support better guns.

Well fuck.

On one hand, adding customizable systems to an RPG should be laudable. On the other, I actually liked the gunplay best when it didn't involve any RPG mechanics.

I can probably deal with extra reticle sway, but I swear to God, if they give stamina out states an artificial miss chance on every shot...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom