Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Frozen

Arcane
Why don't the police just kill all the homeless people in San Francisco?

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
I can understand if the dev's takeaway is they didn't make the setting degenerate enough, needs more homeless and LGBTQIA pride corporate shilling to even begin to match the horrific dystopia that is the modern west.

lightbane

Arcane
It feels dumb that in 2077 things are more or less the same as 2020s and tech has even gotten worse.
This is a deliberate setting choice in the original material. The RABID attack on the internet, AI going wild, wars breaking out and ecological collapse has caused the tech base to decline. In 2077 Night City has just managed to recover from a nuclear strike.
That was in the 2020 to 2040s, 30 years late things have gotten worse instead of better, which fits a CPunk world but it feels a bit too much at times. IMO the timeline should have been placed in 2040-2050s, which has downgraded tech alright, and the newest tabletop game is set in that time period. Hell, wasn't the videogame originally set in 2020s?

Vatnik Wumao
I meant what would become CP 2077. Wasn't it originally set in 2020?
Not sure about that. I know there was an earlier build of the game that was scrapped where V had to pick a class and the game was played in third person. The scrapped version starts in V's apartment which is almost the same at the retail release.

Peachcurl

Cipher
Only the tabletop version had an edition set in 2020 (and some earlier as well as later). The video game definitely never was supposed to be set in 2020.
May get confusing not just because of the 2020 release, but they also shipped a CP 2020 source book with the game.

lightbane

Arcane
I wouldn't be surprised if the OG idea was to set the game in the 2040-50s, then it would make sense for everything to be broken down after the fall of the Internet and the WWIII equivalent. Not almost 40 years later. I wonder if the sequel will still be set in the same timeline, or with a different one.

Vatnik Wumao
The 2040-2050 era would be much harsher than the 2077 setting. Taking the TTRPG rules, V would start the game homeless or living in his car. Any purchase over 500 eddies would need a fixer to arrange. CDPR might have wanted to soften the setting to make it more approachable.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
One of my friends keeps telling me to buy this game but I keep telling him it doesn't really look like an RPG. He says it's like a GTA in CyberPunk, if that is the case is a it a good GTA? Is it worth buying on sale?

jackofshadows

Magister
One of my friends keeps telling me to buy this game but I keep telling him it doesn't really look like an RPG. He says it's like a GTA in CyberPunk, if that is the case is a it a good GTA? Is it worth buying on sale?
It's an action/RPG akin to nuDeus or VMTB. As a GTA it's meh at best. And I'd say it's worth of buying on sale for sure. The problem with this game is that the main quest sequence is very railroady while small side quests where all the meat is.

lightbane

Arcane
The 2040-2050 era would be much harsher than the 2077 setting. Taking the TTRPG rules, V would start the game homeless or living in his car. Any purchase over 500 eddies would need a fixer to arrange. CDPR might have wanted to soften the setting to make it more approachable.
That would have made it cooler for sure, and much more fitting, especially if you start as a Street Kid. Instead, the prologue isn't playable, so you always get a flat. AS for money issues, considering you can get rich in no time by selling guns of the literal hordes of perps, it wouldn't change much.

Vatnik Wumao
AS for money issues, considering you can get rich in no time by selling guns of the literal hordes of perps, it wouldn't change much
In the TTRPG, any transaction over 500 eddies needs you to pass a contacts check. So you wouldn't be able to sell the scavenged guns for very much unless one of your party members was a fixer. V would be stuck with a bunch of worthless hardware.

lightbane

Arcane
AS for money issues, considering you can get rich in no time by selling guns of the literal hordes of perps, it wouldn't change much
In the TTRPG, any transaction over 500 eddies needs you to pass a contacts check. So you wouldn't be able to sell the scavenged guns for very much unless one of your party members was a fixer. V would be stuck with a bunch of worthless hardware.
True, but as you stated before, the system would be eased for newcomers. So V would still have vendor/fixers easily accessible. Hell, that seems to be the idea in 2077 too, and yet you're going to swim in money in less than an hour if you know what you're doing. Less so once you realize buying weapons and gear is not worth it thanks to the stupid tier system, considering that random loot means a Maelstrom perp has a shotgun that would cost several zeroes to buy, to say an example.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom