Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I'm debating whether or not CP2077 is a dead game, especially considering its imminent DLC release.

Go back to your gimp cage before I get out the spray bottle.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
You can count the number of games that made a big recovery after a botched launch on one hand. It ain't gonna happen. It's not a "Oh we miscalculated and made the wrong decisions" situation, it's a "We don't know how to fix any of this mess" situation.

bat_boro

Arcane
Trust the plan, two more expansions
Seriously though I got a voucher for my birthday and I bought this because it was the one game that I could buy and that was available at the store. I haven't touched it as quite literally I'm coping that it may actually turn out the way it was advertised initially

Yosharian

Arcane
It's reasonable to give CDPR the chance to fix the game with the expansions that they have planned. It's not reasonable to have any expectation that they will succeed, but they've earned a chance, at least.

Debatable whether it's really possible given the base state of the game, though.

I will say that the state of the modding scene surrounding this game is pretty promising.

EvilWolf

Learned
You can count the number of games that made a big recovery after a botched launch on one hand. It ain't gonna happen. It's not a "Oh we miscalculated and made the wrong decisions" situation, it's a "We don't know how to fix any of this mess" situation.
Two of them would be CDPR games, what's your point?

just

Liturgist
mods for this game are all shit, not worth playing it again
from first 10 most popular pages on nexus, 7 pages are cosmetic shit other 3 are tools for modding
maybe few impressive but useless mods like metro system or police chases

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Crispy has the gall to criticise my taste in RPGs and I find him in here defending fucking Cyberpunk of all games. What an ass. Go step on a rake crispy.
You didn't play it on PC because you are a fag so your opinion on the game doesn't matter.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
mods for this game are all shit, not worth playing it again
from first 10 most popular pages on nexus, 7 pages are cosmetic shit other 3 are tools for modding
maybe few impressive but useless mods like metro system or police chases

Last time I played there were quite a few mods that affected the gameplay - e.g. the cyberpsychosis mod, the build-your-own-robots mod, the mod that makes enemies sometimes call in reinforcements, level scaling improvement mods, several difficulty tweaks mods at various levels. The mod that allows you to craft your own missions is still not quite ready for prime-time, but it's being worked on continuously. Obviously the cosmetics mods are more numerous, but there's a core group of people who've been putting out good gameplay mods for the game since the beginning, and now that you can add content instead of replacing, it's going to continue.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Yet I repeat the question: if you're wrong, after the DLC is released, will you admit so here?

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Yet I repeat the question: if you're wrong, after the DLC is released, will you admit so here?
Mhhhh

No

Ryzer

Arcane

FwuxuaWWIAEpOME

Lol at the award simply for existing.

KIss My Ass

Patron
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Crispy has the gall to criticise my taste in RPGs and I find him in here defending fucking Cyberpunk of all games. What an ass. Go step on a rake crispy.
You didn't play it on PC because you are a fag so your opinion on the game doesn't matter.
It is a shit sandwich no matter what platform it is on. Get some taste and then get bent, asswipe.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Just encountered my first major bug! A NCPD Scam suspected criminal activity did not complete itself and now none of the other NCPD jobs will completely either.

Perkel

Arcane
So what are people predictions toward expansion ?

My takes:
- expansion development is too long to be small expansion. Which means it will be big, probably "bigger" than Blood and Wine for TW3, it will introduce that blocked part of pacifica + shitload of interiors but no new landmass.
- obviously they are following trajectory of NMS so I expect major reworks of some things that people found off putting. 3rd person view, introduction of cutscenes TW3 style for whole game not just expansion, car combat was confirmed or something similar this type of things. Also it's not the first time something like that happened(gta5 1st person mode). Cost of introduction of 3rd person mode for gameplay is low, rest of scenes will need player animations + camera work.
- new ending, possibly going into different direction completely from pick your ending from list of c77
- some major gameplay feature. They did something like this with TW3 where first expansion introduced runecrafting while second mutations and some other stuff. reworked auguments ?
- obviously expanded weaponry + new outfits.
- considering they are targeting GTA crowd as always, probably some kind of miningames like stealing car, buying cars, tuning cars etc.
- probably expanded RP options, maybe new origin story which probably starts with has expansion as starting point.
- one of key criticism they received was initial introduction to game where cutscene shown interaction between jacky her mother and how quickly they hit off. I expect they replace that cinematic with actual linear gameplay with few quests before you get to same point. IT will be very linear though.

Obviously this is out of my ass. Weirdly none of those items are very expensive in terms of hours/$ to implement

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
So what are people predictions toward expansion ?

My takes:
- expansion development is too long to be small expansion. Which means it will be big, probably "bigger" than Blood and Wine for TW3, it will introduce that blocked part of pacifica + shitload of interiors but no new landmass.
- obviously they are following trajectory of NMS so I expect major reworks of some things that people found off putting. 3rd person view, introduction of cutscenes TW3 style for whole game not just expansion, car combat was confirmed or something similar this type of things. Also it's not the first time something like that happened(gta5 1st person mode). Cost of introduction of 3rd person mode for gameplay is low, rest of scenes will need player animations + camera work.
- new ending, possibly going into different direction completely from pick your ending from list of c77
- some major gameplay feature. They did something like this with TW3 where first expansion introduced runecrafting while second mutations and some other stuff. reworked auguments ?
- obviously expanded weaponry + new outfits.
- considering they are targeting GTA crowd as always, probably some kind of miningames like stealing car, buying cars, tuning cars etc.
- probably expanded RP options, maybe new origin story which probably starts with has expansion as starting point.
- one of key criticism they received was initial introduction to game where cutscene shown interaction between jacky her mother and how quickly they hit off. I expect they replace that cinematic with actual linear gameplay with few quests before you get to same point. IT will be very linear though.

Obviously this is out of my ass. Weirdly none of those items are very expensive in terms of hours/$ to implement

I doubt they're going to expand or iterate on anything in the original game in terms of gameplay or filling out of earlier gaps, I think most of the effort will have gone into the linear story stuff. I'm sure the story stuff will probably be good, as it is in the main game, but that's pretty much what the entire DLC will consist of.

3rd person is never going to happen, it would be a LOT of work. (I queried modders about this a while ago, apparently it's not as simple as somehow adapting the extant 3rd person animations npcs use for player 1st person use, entirely new animations would have to be made from scratch. The existing 3rd person animations that you can see if you use the 3rd person mod, are purely meant to be viewed from 1st person perspective, which is why the modded 3rd person avatar is so janky - e.g. the caved-in chest, the extra wide shoulders, etc.)

Perkel

Arcane
I disagree on animation front. They can do it in two ways but both are possible without major pain in ass for developer.

Provide only gameplay part or that + cinematic camera work. In first case it requires rework of animation system but nothing major, V already has 3rd person animations they are just rough. Second one is more expensive but it requires only animation guy and camera man nothing else. Obviously there is issue of gameplay while in cutscene C77 introduced but that easily can be with giving player ability to remove cutscene and go back to gameplay with press of a button. Also there don't need to be a lot of cutscenes.

It would kill though ending cutscenes significance a lot, especially panam ending which has like perfect shot you coming out of tank with perfect cinematography of moving tank across lake. Part of reason why they are so impactful is that they are pretty much only cutscene you see outside of that introduction to night city with jackie.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I disagree on animation front. They can do it in two ways but both are possible without major pain in ass for developer.

Provide only gameplay part or that + cinematic camera work. In first case it requires rework of animation system but nothing major, V already has 3rd person animations they are just rough.

No, they're not "rough," as I said they are 3rd person animations specifically designed to look good in 1st person perspective (e.g. you know, like when you're climbing over an object you see your hands and feet sometimes: that's the sole reason those 3rd person anims are in there, and as I said, that's also why the 3rd person avatar you see when you use the 3rd person mod is so janky, with its caved-in chest and extra-wide shoulders, it was never meant to be viewed from 3rd person perspective, it was only for 1st person perspective "body awareness").

Again, as I said, I went through this with the modders of the 3rd person mod. One of the guys told me that it really isn't as simple as porting over the animations from the NPCs for use in 1st person, or using the model that you see in photographic mode, it's a totally different setup. Playable 3rd person mode would require making PROPER 3rd person model/animations for the player character (not just model/animations that looks good in 1st person perspective, for 1st person body awareness) for all the possible things a player character could do.

CDPR made the 1st person decision fairly early, and the game just isn't set up in a way that would make turning it into 3rd person an easy job.

Perkel

Arcane
I know that. But you simply don't understand those rudimentary animations can be improved or reworked. I am not talking about adding 3rd person mode without any work being done.

Moreover if argument is that first person animations also have to be changed. The answer is no they don't. You have two separate sets of animations one for 1st person and one for 3rd person. You just effectively add or modify existing 3rd person animations.

I know that was conscious decision but people don't care about that. It is seen as minus for a lot of people toward game which makes me believe that they will do something with it and thinking about it from technical aspect it is something that they could do pretty easily. Not completely free but 2 years is enough of time for few people to get it right" type of thing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom