Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic Chronicles Of Myrtana: Archolos mod for Gothic 2

Baron Dupek

Arcane
... or at least first game, which is the easiest from the bunch

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Do I need to play another Gothic game to get anything out of this? Would this be a good introduction to the series?
Yes, you need to play real Gothic games, but it won't help you find anything worthwhile in archolos. No, it wouldn't be a good introduction, what a terrible thing to think.

You shouldn't play this mod at all.

tred

Augur
I
Do I need to play another Gothic game to get anything out of this? Would this be a good introduction to the series?
Never played any of the Gothic series but they've been in my steam library for what seems like forever.

No, it is not necessary to play other Gothics. A chronologic experience of the series is not necessary to enjoy it.
Codex purists love to gatekeep/condition your possible enjoyment of a game. Play Archolos, it is very good. If you like it, then you'll probably enjoy Gothic 1 and 2 too. If not, then you probably won't like them too. Above all, have fun.

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
There's a couple of references with big payoffs for fans of the series but the experience is perfectly enjoyable on its own. Having said that I'd suggest you play the originals first, both to appreciate the contrast in artistic execution and to avoid not wanting to play a technically inferior version.

curds

Magister
No, it is not necessary to play other Gothics. A chronologic experience of the series is not necessary to enjoy it.
Codex purists love to gatekeep/condition your possible enjoyment of a game.
Of course it is not necessary to play the first 2 games in order to get any enjoyment out of Archolos.
However, Archolos features a bunch of callbacks and references that will be more satisfying if you have played G1 and G2 first. It also expands upon a bunch of mechanics from the first games. Lastly there is absolutely no reason to not play G1 and G2 first. They are brilliant games. His question was, is Archolos a good introduction to the series? And the answer is, not really.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Archolos is harder than the original Gothics, so familiarity with the games before you play this is better.

I found it somewhere in between G2 classic and NOTR personally. Though I guess it may depend on the playstyle you went for.

thesecret1

Arcane
NOTR is harder in the early game. But halfway through, NOTR difficulty plummets and the game becomes a cakewalk, which doesn't happen in Archolos.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
NOTR is harder in the early game. But halfway through, NOTR difficulty plummets and the game becomes a cakewalk, which doesn't happen in Archolos.
Archolos doesn't turn into a cakewalk until the lategame but when you climb over 100 in your base stat (STR or DEX), there are only a few things left that pose any challenge at all. And that happens mid-mid game, depending on your run. Which, IIRC, is about the same in NOTR.

But Archolos felt harder than NOTR in early game coz the money is REALLY tight, plus it's worth investing in hunter skills early, forgoing fighting skills, making adventuring even trickier.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Archolos doesn't turn into a cakewalk until the lategame but when you climb over 100 in your base stat (STR or DEX), there are only a few things left that pose any challenge at all. And that happens mid-mid game

I had 100 DEX after some 20 hours, long before even becoming a citizen.

You can also get decent armour ridiculously fast in this game which further tanks the difficulty.

Saying Archolos is harder than either Gothic is laughable.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

I had 100 DEX after some 20 hours

You can also get decent armour ridiculously fast
So you put every single point and every single coin into DEX for the first 20 hours. So you've probably grinded the early game, running all over the island with crappy gear, and then you burnt out as soon as you finally got into the city. Noted.

Also if you mean that armour in that forest, yes you can find it very fast. If the first thing you usually do in this kind of game is immediately run naked into the most dangerous forest in the starting area and get oneshot over and over again until you randomly stumble over it. Or if you've read up on it in a guide first. And then you still get killed 3 tries out of 4. Aand while decent it's nowhere near "tanking the difficulty".

So putting all that aside, yes, you're right. Game's very easy.

Krivol

Magister
Archolos is harder than the original Gothics

lmao
The simple fact that bonus stat points are counted differently makes Archolos much easier than Gothic 2 NotR, where you should ignore all stats bonuses until the end of the game.

Yes, the amount of cash is tight at the beginning, but the world is big and there are gazillions of quests to do, so explore, avoid hard enemies (save-try-load if you must) and talk to every NPC and in a short time you will be a powerhouse.
My advice - there are so many bonus stat points (potions, food, trainers, books etc) there is no reason to go with any of the stats above 1 learning point per skill threshold till the late mid-game.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
So you put every single point and every single coin into DEX for the first 20 hours.

Nope. All I needed was level 3 alchemy, which I got when I had like 50 DEX already and good enough bow/one-handed that let me get the cash and LP for that without too much effort. It boggled my mind when I noticed you can get Alchemy 3 as early as possible without any chapter lock.

So you've probably grinded the early game, running all over the island with crappy gear, and then you burnt out as soon as you finally got into the city. Noted.

Didn't grind shit and didn't have to use crappy gear. I "burnt out" after clearing out the island and having only the boring as shit city quests left, and then realising that progressing through the main rails only adds more boring as shit city quests.

Also if you mean that armour in that forest, yes you can find it very fast. If the first thing you usually do in this kind of game is immediately run naked into the most dangerous forest in the starting area and get oneshot over and over again until you randomly stumble over it. Or if you've read up on it in a guide first. And then you still get killed 3 tries out of 4. Aand while decent it's nowhere near "tanking the difficulty".

I don't know what 'that armour' is. I mean leather armour you can get from the fishing village for a pittance, and which you can then upgrade at the city for another pittance. This is probably enough to serve you for more than half the fucking game and is superior to tier 1 and 2 faction armour, and you can get it very fast without any guides or abuse or random chance.

Pretty sure you can buy it in the city somewhere too but maybe I'm ronk.

And even then if you don't stumble upon the fishing village, the travelling womyn merchant in the starting village sells a chainmail that is roughly similar, just with protection values swapped for blades and clubs.

Archolos is simply pitifully easy for anyone who's ever played Gothic before more than once.

Arthandas

Prophet
Hopefully it's not gonna be just a "delete save game when you die".
"We're working on harder difficulty mode for CoM. This will not be just changing the statistics, but more a rebalance of the game with additional gameplay features."

notpl

Arbiter
Archolos doesn't turn into a cakewalk until the lategame but when you climb over 100 in your base stat (STR or DEX), there are only a few things left that pose any challenge at all. And that happens mid-mid game, depending on your run. Which, IIRC, is about the same in NOTR.

But Archolos felt harder than NOTR in early game coz the money is REALLY tight, plus it's worth investing in hunter skills early, forgoing fighting skills, making adventuring even trickier.
Yeah, nothing in gothic is really "hard" if you know the combat timing in and out, but archolos tweaked the economy and gave the player enough things to spend money on that the game actually gained a strategic resource element that was never present in the originals.

Arthandas

Prophet
I'm pretty sure the trailer is legit (apart from the Switch exclusive part). I've been hanging out on their discord and they've been working on 2.0 for some time now, and even before this trailer dropped the ETA was "this year probably".

deama

Prophet
I heard most of the devs left for various reasons after the project got finished though?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom