Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic Chronicles Of Myrtana: Archolos mod for Gothic 2

notpl

Arbiter
Dirty swamp is pretty good but on the short side took me like 12h to finish.
Yeah it's almost like a tech demo for a completely new game system rather than a real campaign. Really cool, though, the stuff he did with gothic's magic system is incredible.

Aconitum

Novice
I'd recommend janky amateur garbage like Velaya or Returning before Odyssey.
I can agree with Velaya, but I personally wouldn't recommend Returning. Tried playing a few different versions as they were coming out, but always gave up. It's not just the gameplay, but from what I played, the story it added felt like some bad, teenage fanfiction.
Can totally recommend Wanderer though. Tried playing it with a dictionary when it first came out (because it was Gothic with guns) and shit was great even though I couldn't understand anything.

notpl

Arbiter
I can agree with Velaya, but I personally wouldn't recommend Returning. Tried playing a few different versions as they were coming out, but always gave up. It's not just the gameplay, but from what I played, the story it added felt like some bad, teenage fanfiction.
Can totally recommend Wanderer though. Tried playing it with a dictionary when it first came out (because it was Gothic with guns) and shit was great even though I couldn't understand anything.
Returning is what I recommend if someone really, REALLY loves Gothic 2 and wishes it were 250 hours long. It may have some cringe and a great heaping spoonful of slavjank on top of the already significant krautjank, but nothing else does what it does.

thesecret1

Arcane
I tried it. The story it added was terrible, and I mean TERRIBLE crock of shit, but I enjoyed the added difficulty, mobs, and even some quests quite a lot.

Returning is what I recommend if someone really, REALLY loves Gothic 2 and wishes it were 250 hours long.
Yeah, that's me. I think it's pretty good, tbh, if only they put a lid on their fanfiction...

Alphons

Cipher
Remember that one Water Mage in NotR mentioning a giant, empty, boring desert beyond the mountains in Jarkendar?
Have you ever played NotR and after defeating Raven thought "Man, wouldn't it be a great if he just got wounded instead and teleported me to that vast and empty, forsaken by Adanos hellhole"?
Have you ever wanted to wander aimlesslly for 30 hours, trying to decipher poorly written objectives and navigate through a land without any landmarks?
Have you ever thought that one more mandatory 20 hour long dungeon just before Irdorath would be just swell?
Have you ever wanted to see Gothic's engine melt down by rigging a giant battle between hundred orcs and every single human on Khorinis?

If you've answered YES, Returning was made for you.

thesecret1

Arcane
The appeal of Returning 2.0 was in setting the difficulty to legendary and carefully sneaking past the orcs and snappers to get to that one field raider you can kill for some of that sweet, sweet XP. Every time you got stronger and could finally take on a tougher enemy type, you felt like the fucking king of the world, especially since actually scrounging up the XP needed to get to that point was a herculean task. Gold was naturally also in extremely short supply, and straying off the path in the early game often equated to suicide (hell, even the path itself was crawling with enemies). It was rough and shitty in many aspects, but I still had a blast.

Aconitum

Novice
Remember that one Water Mage in NotR mentioning a giant, empty, boring desert beyond the mountains in Jarkendar?
Have you ever played NotR and after defeating Raven thought "Man, wouldn't it be a great if he just got wounded instead and teleported me to that vast and empty, forsaken by Adanos hellhole"?
Have you ever wanted to wander aimlesslly for 30 hours, trying to decipher poorly written objectives and navigate through a land without any landmarks?
Have you ever thought that one more mandatory 20 hour long dungeon just before Irdorath would be just swell?
Have you ever wanted to see Gothic's engine melt down by rigging a giant battle between hundred orcs and every single human on Khorinis?

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Returning is what I recommend if someone really, REALLY loves Gothic 2 and wishes it were 250 hours long. It may have some cringe and a great heaping spoonful of slavjank on top of the already significant krautjank, but nothing else does what it does.

Sounds like the Gothic equivalent of those russian stalker soup mods.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Not going to lie, I'm (morbidly) curious now.

Mauman

Learned
It's an artistic choice to use slow motion in this battle, just like in "300".

Good Lord, that poor game engine.

Made me laugh though.

edit - also, as an after thought, I feel like this game is warping my sense when it comes to rpg loot.

Going into the Fire Mage house to steal stuff - a couple of potions, scrolls....cool.

A bowl full of apples? HOLY SHIT YES!!! :P

Danikas

Arcane
rob the apples in valerio vineyard and make several dozen of apple pies. become as gods.
There is also a trader who sells ony apples in the port district of the city I got about 60 apples from him before he said his stock is empty. (you get +750 exp if you buy all the apples from him)

Mauman

Learned
rob the apples in valerio vineyard and make several dozen of apple pies. become as gods.
There is also a trader who sells ony apples in the port district of the city I got about 60 apples from him before he said his stock is empty. (you get +750 exp if you buy all the apples from him)

He only sold me 4 or so for the day and told me to come back tommorow. I did and he wasn't there. :(
I'm still hoping he'll show up again. Granted, I'm still in chapter 2 so maybe that's why.

But yeah, I've LONG since gotten the Valerio Vineyard apples.

Next up is trading every single gold nugget for snack packs in the mines. Just got to get a little bit stronger so I can beat up the guards that DARE think they can have some of my precious snack pack nuggets.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Without trying to alarm you, if after resting for two days he is still not at the spot in the poor quarter, your save is corrupted.

I feel a little empty. I am in the last "big dungeon" of the game and the usual Gothic weariness has set in -- when you are so strong that you do not even bother eating apples anymore, or spending your last few LP, or killing every enemy on the map. I feel content. Soon it will be over. It was glorious.

Mauman

Learned
Without trying to alarm you, if after resting for two days he is still not at the spot in the poor quarter, your save is corrupted.

Well...guess I should be thankful he just showed up
:shredder:

That's kinda scary....any other signs of corruption I should be looking out for?

agris

Arcane
Patron
I’m right there with you Jasede, I chased the dragon and now it’s time to come back to earth.

this mod is fentanyl while gothic 1 & 2 are merely heroine.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Just NPCs disappearing. But it is easy to confuse with NPCs just being somewhere due to a bounty, quest or their schedule, so you can't rely on this as your only tell. But that's the major giveaway, as well as NPCs that are supposed to start a conversation with you not talking to you automatically.

agris
Wow, you are an ancient poster. This mod has us great old ones coming out of the woodwork, huh? I love how your avatar suits your post. It was great to experience this adventure together, friend.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
So after almost 100 hours I finished it. It's been nice to have a game so well done that I could just binge on it nonstop to the end. If PB had any sense they'd cancel the remake right now and just have these guys make games in the Gothic 2 engine. Easily the best RPG of 2021.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom