Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
It all depends how your monarch lives, with good traits you can have as many lands as you want your vassals will love you anyway... So be brave, Pius and avoid being asshole... but be Dick to your Heathen neighbors: Which make CK2 such great RPG game. :thumbsup: Only drawback is that such successful Monarch tend to live 80+ so your heir will be raised by your son and turn to be total fop and sodomite... But this how history of Jewrope rolled otherwise some Dynasty would color this map by ages ago.
You can still educate your grandson through diplomacy generally. Just choose educate child under diplomacy with your son.

Sometimes when I tried it they refused due to risks involved or something like that (would become a hostage?) which doesnt really make sense but the point is you cant count on this. Maybe they patched it out.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
One thing that i would love to see in a paradox game, like Crusader Kings, is tactical battles where you could command your units.

It bothers me that battles in the game amount to little more than who has the most men.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
It used to be this way but I hear they changed it so that terrain and mainly leaders are way more important. Adding the tactical element would decrease the difficulty even more for the player. Also I seriously doubt they could handle it.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
One thing that i would love to see in a paradox game, like Crusader Kings, is tactical battles where you could command your units.
No... No. No! You're not a multitude of captains in Paradox games. You are the king, the ruler, the commander-in-chief. You're there to put tin soldiers on the map and paint with it, not fight battles yourself.

Sometimes when I tried it they refused due to risks involved or something like that (would become a hostage?) which doesnt really make sense but the point is you cant count on this. Maybe they patched it out.
Still happens when he is not a vassal.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
No... No. No! You're not a multitude of captains in Paradox games. You are the king, the ruler, the commander-in-chief. You're there to put tin soldiers on the map and paint with it, not fight battles yourself.

Still happens when he is not a vassal.

Confirmed married my heir to Douches of Achaia, so my my grand-grandson inherited both from me. So I get land with and heir who ruled 4 months until His uncles rebelled. Your score is not judged by number of your lands but prestige of your dynasty so well developed and ruled duchy can give you more points than shity kingdom. Tactical games would either suck or de rail the game into another Total war popamole.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Still, they could add more tactical depth to the combat, maneuvers, formations, etc, which you could choose before or during a battle. Even with Ck2+ i don´t even have to worry about army composition while playing on hard, just make sure you have enough sheep to slaughter and you will (almost) always win.

Destroid

Arcane
Gotta say I don't see any point to the army composition in CK2, since you have little control over it, outside the retinues.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Little control? You decide the composition by building buildings giving units. With unlimited money and time perhaps thats not an issue but otherwise you have to prioritise - numbers or quality. Not to mention the tech, as random as it is.

And units in battles use different manoeuvres but they are simply decided by leaders fighting them not by the player.

Retinues gave you really great way to completely customize you'r army... a little bit too great in my opinion. You decide how you'r retinue will look like completely (well not really, since paradox figured out that Poland during Piast rule was "dem horsies pople se we gonna give them Hungarians hussars... who get DEFENCE (wut?) bonueses with "polish cultural" building... seriously, XIV century was propably the time when poles for the first time SAW hungarians hussars and it took some time before we ripped them of from Hungarians (and completely outclassed them in this regard, but that just by the way). But still, in basic it's KNIGHT RETINUE ALL THE WAY!, with some occasional Shock retinue for some heavy infantry and archers. As a king you can have 25 thousands retinue, that's fucking ridiculous. And rich and big kingdoms will usually go knights all the way, My 30 thousands army was once completely wiped out by 20k HRE retinue (mostly heavy cavalry), against such force you can "scratch" them during skirmish phase, but when meele phase begins, your army very, very fast stops existing. I can completely undestand how 20K knights, can pretty much bitch slap anyone. But I CAN'T understand how the fuck medieval feudal kingdom/empire is able to sustain 30K proffesional soldiers, all the time (and without any cost because "lol")

RedScum

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Decline of the Knights Templar:

30dgk60.jpg

The multikult-arabs have taken over the seat as grandmaster and the same thing happend to the knight hospitaller in this game.

Wouldn't counts spam the heir with revolts?

1-province counts revolting against someone with 100 provinces of units? Haha, good joke. Your heir has no relations penalties with their vassals because only kings or above get penalties for too many duchies, so it's business as usually except revolters and plotters are now 1/100th as large relatively. And factions within duchies are non-existent compared to the crap empires have to deal with.

Also, a landed heir means his heirs won't be groomed by you, i.e. they suck.

Elective succession, motherfucker, do you use it? Spread your seed far and wide and there will always be some genius child with all 20s by pure chance if you just keep marrying geniuses into the family.

But otherwise you can still educate children and shit. Keep in mind your heir has +9000 relations to you from all of the duchies and vassals gifted. You could rape and kill their entire family in front of them and they will still be happy about things.

Little control? You decide the composition by building buildings giving units. With unlimited money and time perhaps thats not an issue but otherwise you have to prioritise - numbers or quality. Not to mention the tech, as random as it is.

And units in battles use different manoeuvres but they are simply decided by leaders fighting them not by the player.
Yeah, but the buildings are generally scaled based on unit quality so one vs the other offers little relative benefit, as the stronger units are balanced by getting less of them. And in any case 95% of your non retinues are going to be from vassals who just give you random shit.

Retinues themselves of course are basically a cheat as soon as you can raise more then 2k of them.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
I'm getting a bit bored with the range of options currently available with CK2, if Prince and the Thane worked I'd be ecstatic, but it's fast loosing its charm for me even with CK2+

How does CK1 compare? Is it still superior to CK2 in some ways? What are its weaknesses comparatively? I'm thinking of giving it a go.

Borelli

Arcane
What are the features of Prince and the Thane? Since it doesn't work with newest version i don't think i will be switching to it anytime soon but i would still like to know what am i missing.
How does CK1 compare? Is it still superior to CK2 in some ways? What are its weaknesses comparatively? I'm thinking of giving it a go.

+Declaring independence does not automatically declare war on your liege, it is he who must declare war so during realm unrest you can just get your coat and sneak outside the house and nobody will notice.
+More influence on army composition using both laws and terrain.

-Bunch of useless buildings. For "only" 100 gold you can build a FISHING HUT which gives your +2% income, so instead of 1.00 you get 1.02 gold per month, total unbalanced bullshit the only buildings you need to build are roads and mines.
-Unbalanced finances. All levies are much more expensive so during war you will always lose money rapidly (in ck2 you generally have a slight positive income when raising all levies) which AI cannot handle so AI in CK1 simply cannot go below 0 gold.
-No plots, intrigues or any other thing which allows AI to make informal alliances in order to rebel.
-There are more quirks but i'm too lazy to remember them all now. CK2 is the only CK for me now.

Overall it sucks stick to CK2

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Thanks for the link Draco. I'll check it out.

Is it at least more stable than Prince and the Thane?

Kattze

Andhaira
Andhaira
The best feature of CK1 IMO (compared to CK2) is that the major realms did not blob as much as in CK2. Also, I miss those weird big-nosed portraits even if technically the CK2 portraits were superior.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I wonder how far their DLC plan goes for CK2, i wan´t to sit down and play the "definite" version of the game sometime this decade. :)

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
From CKII official facebook profile:

428319_547798721905307_1651161064_n.jpg

Is that a Drakkar Longship? Viking DLC confirmed?

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
If CK2 had tactical battles, you should only be able to command the troops if your character is leading the army. At least there would finally be a good reason for why you'd want to make your character the general instead of leaving the job to vassals.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
If CK2 had tactical battles, you should only be able to command the troops if your character is leading the army. At least there would finally be a good reason for why you'd want to make your character the general instead of leaving the job to vassals.

Paradox should remake Lords of the Realm, a smaller scale CK type game base in Britain where you could command the armies and sieges yourself.

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
They should also fix character teleportation, like when you are sitting idly on your throne in London and the next day you are commanding troops at the Holy Land. This isn't AoD, after all.

Edit: At least the Tota War games handle this well.

Kattze

Andhaira
Andhaira
I'm getting a bit bored with the range of options currently available with CK2, if Prince and the Thane worked I'd be ecstatic, but it's fast loosing its charm for me even with CK2+

VIET (which Draco had recommended) is a good one though I didn't like some of the changes in the core module (ie. making Shia a heresy of Sunni etc.). The good thing with this mod is that you have more options as to what you wanted to apply in your game (ie. the modules). Also, keep an eye out for jordarkelf (DVIP for CK1) in pdox forums, I think he is currently porting DVIP events to CK2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom