Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

mondblut

Arcane
Dark ages like mondblut said. To be more accurate, the period from the fall of the Western Roman Empire and the rise of Islam to around the end of Carolus Magnus' reign. It was a pretty interesting time in the world outside of Western Europe. Also would lend itself well to a game centred around Asia.

What? Taking once a lifetime opportunity and wasting it for the sake of some gooks and towelheads? FFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU.

As far as I am concerned, the southern and eastern edges of CK2 map can be safely dropped; the existing horde mechanics (sans the retarded no-attrition cheat) are perfectly serviceable for bringing mudslims, avars, hungarians etc into play.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
So Paradox hired someone to do AI coding exclusively? AT LAST! Thats what I hoped for all this time... The most glaring issue with all Paradox games is bad AI. If it can be fixed the rest is cosmetic.

alkeides

Arcane
Patron
Dark ages like mondblut said. To be more accurate, the period from the fall of the Western Roman Empire and the rise of Islam to around the end of Carolus Magnus' reign. It was a pretty interesting time in the world outside of Western Europe. Also would lend itself well to a game centred around Asia.

What? Taking once a lifetime opportunity and wasting it for the sake of some gooks and towelheads? FFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU.

As far as I am concerned, the southern and eastern edges of CK2 map can be safely dropped; the existing horde mechanics (sans the retarded no-attrition cheat) are perfectly serviceable for bringing mudslims, avars, hungarians etc into play.

Playing Western Europe at a time of dwindling barbarian kingdoms with Irish monks walking the wastes and preaching the gospel wouldn't make much of an RTS. Possibly a good setting for an RPG, but large scale political interactions, not to mention cultural advancements, at that time are a joke compared to what was going on in the east.

Sranchammer

Arcane
Vatnik

Playing Western Europe at a time of dwindling barbarian kingdoms with Irish monks walking the wastes and preaching the gospel wouldn't make much of an RTS. Possibly a good setting for an RPG, but large scale political interactions, not to mention cultural advancements, at that time are a joke compared to what was going on in the east.

For a moment I thought you were talking about A Canticle for Leibowitz DLC

Kem0sabe

Arcane
So Paradox hired someone to do AI coding exclusively? AT LAST! Thats what I hoped for all this time... The most glaring issue with all Paradox games is bad AI. If it can be fixed the rest is cosmetic.

Still haven´t bought a single Paradox game within the first 6 months of it´s release. They are a piece of shit with their QA, releasing their games as a finished product and then patching them to a release worthy state.

Will be the same with the new EU.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
CKII was stable though.

Stable but unbalanced. Vanilla for me is a lost cause, only mods like Ck2+ make it a fun experience. Thank god that Paradox supports their modding community.

I love their games, and as a company they support almost singlehandedly this type of strategy niche, but they never get it quite right.

Renegen

Arcane
People who complain about bad Paradox AI haven't quite played Total War games enough. You want retarded AI that can't even balance a checkbook or invade Poland successfully, you got it.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin

Still haven´t bought a single Paradox game within the first 6 months of it´s release. They are a piece of shit with their QA, releasing their games as a finished product and then patching them to a release worthy state.

Will be the same with the new EU.
You know, Paradox games are like MMOs. You play them as they get continuously developed and that's part of the charm. It's an quality that makes it inherently replayable. There is always something new, or something fixed on the horizon. Playing the end unsupported game is flat in comparison.

Destroid

Arcane
One thing I'm not sure about - what is the relative effects of handing out ducal titles, compared to keeping them all to yourself and having more counts? Seems like it's handing more power over to your vassals, but having less people to keep happy?

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Less people to keep happy, I think. When you have something like 200 vassals it becomes a real pain in the ass to deal with. That and having too many ducal titles starts to reduce vassal opinion.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
One thing I'm not sure about - what is the relative effects of handing out ducal titles, compared to keeping them all to yourself and having more counts? Seems like it's handing more power over to your vassals, but having less people to keep happy?

Is dissent for > 2 ducal tittles for Kings and Emperors still in? I refuse to patch the game over 1.8 until they nerf republics.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
CKII was stable though.

Stable but unbalanced. Vanilla for me is a lost cause, only mods like Ck2+ make it a fun experience. Thank god that Paradox supports their modding community.

I love their games, and as a company they support almost singlehandedly this type of strategy niche, but they never get it quite right.
I find CK2+ a tad bland, but it's stable and improves AI, so it's a decent trade off. Now if something like Prince and the Thane weren't unstable as fuck, it'd be amazing. There's even unique pagan gameplay. It's just so ludicrously crashtastic.

XenomorphII

Prophet

For kings and greater, every ducal title over the second one adds -10 relations with all vassals (Too many held duchies modifier). IN addition to that multi-dukes and up will suffer -20 from any (I think, it may require certain traits) counts under their non-primary ducal titles (and maybe a second ducal title, not sure on that) due to the "desires duchy" modifier.

So holding onto all ducal titles of a relatively small kingdom is possible, but I generally keep myself at two. In larger kingdoms, I don't think it would work, and even if it lasted for some time, succession would be a bitch when it happened.

One could simply not create any ducal titles beyond their first two and destroy all others they gain. Of course, the smaller (2 and 3 county) duchies would be formed by your vassals sooner or later, but as long as you worked at keeping all your counts from gaining over 50% of the duchies it would work and avoid the negative modifiers.

Destroid

Arcane
I see. So there really is nothing to be gained from forming duchies if you already hold 100% of them (or than the prestige)?

Renegen

Arcane
You could make the argument your top score is the reason why you play and having many held titles increases from prestige and thus score.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Depending on Duchy size, it's possibly to go up to three, but that's a big risk. During my pagan Finland test runs, I generally limited myself to Estonia and Novgorod (and even then generally had recurring problems due to Novgorod being a huge-ass duchy).

Pro way to exploit duchies is to take all the kingdoms/empires for yourself and give your heir every duchy you can't keep. Keep the powerful 6/7 slot provinces to develop yourself and vassal everything else outside your two duchies to the heir. No relations problems, rock solid kingdom.

Gets annoying when you die and have to re-bequeath 50 duchies to your next heir though.

For kings and greater, every ducal title over the second one adds -10 relations with all vassals (Too many held duchies modifier). IN addition to that multi-dukes and up will suffer -20 from any (I think, it may require certain traits) counts under their non-primary ducal titles (and maybe a second ducal title, not sure on that) due to the "desires duchy" modifier.

So holding onto all ducal titles of a relatively small kingdom is possible, but I generally keep myself at two. In larger kingdoms, I don't think it would work, and even if it lasted for some time, succession would be a bitch when it happened.

One could simply not create any ducal titles beyond their first two and destroy all others they gain. Of course, the smaller (2 and 3 county) duchies would be formed by your vassals sooner or later, but as long as you worked at keeping all your counts from gaining over 50% of the duchies it would work and avoid the negative modifiers.

I think the "desires duchy" modifier only appears if they can create it on their own (>=50% of counties) OR have traits like Ambitious (which means they need to die ASAP). I don't think it necessarily requires you to hold more than 1 duchy for this to happen, but it may loosen the requirements. Ambitious characters at least seem to never be happy until they are emperor.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
It all depends how your monarch lives, with good traits you can have as many lands as you want your vassals will love you anyway... So be brave, Pius and avoid being asshole... but be Dick to your Heathen neighbors: Which make CK2 such great RPG game. :thumbsup: Only drawback is that such successful Monarch tend to live 80+ so your heir will be raised by your son and turn to be total fop and sodomite... But this how history of Jewrope rolled otherwise some Dynasty would color this map by ages ago.

mondblut

Arcane
Pro way to exploit duchies is to take all the kingdoms/empires for yourself and give your heir every duchy you can't keep. Keep the powerful 6/7 slot provinces to develop yourself and vassal everything else outside your two duchies to the heir. No relations problems, rock solid kingdom.

Wouldn't counts spam the heir with revolts?

Also, a landed heir means his heirs won't be groomed by you, i.e. they suck.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
It all depends how your monarch lives, with good traits you can have as many lands as you want your vassals will love you anyway... So be brave, Pius and avoid being asshole... but be Dick to your Heathen neighbors: Which make CK2 such great RPG game. :thumbsup: Only drawback is that such successful Monarch tend to live 80+ so your heir will be raised by your son and turn to be total fop and sodomite... But this how history of Jewrope rolled otherwise some Dynasty would color this map by ages ago.
You can still educate your grandson through diplomacy generally. Just choose educate child under diplomacy with your son.

RedScum

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...Kings-A-Scandinavian-Multiplayer-Extravaganza

Recordings from their stream where the lead designer of CKII plus two other paradox employees playing as Sweden, Denmark & Norway.
Good thing to watch if you're new to CKII or thinking of buying it. They are going through some stuff and some design decisions and also talking about new stuff that will be implemented in upcomming patches (Being able to capture the holder of a county when you besiege it for an example).

Overall, enjoyable experience. Always fun to watch fellow scandinavians fighting it out :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom