Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
That sounds fucking amazing, i´m literally giddy with excitement. :kfc:

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
:greatjob:

Adventurers, Prepared Invasions, Rebels with a Cause, Loot and pillage provinces, Missionaires.

Finally some reason to get back to the game, even if I don't want to play pagans, muslims, republics, papacies, aztecs, persian theocracies, democracies, communists, nazis or whatever.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I always play as Portugal, after claiming independence from Galicia, but with this new DLC i think there is not way i can justify not playing as a Vikiing, just sounds too awesome not to.

XenomorphII

Prophet
I always play as Portugal, after claiming independence from Galicia, but with this new DLC i think there is not way i can justify not playing as a Vikiing, just sounds too awesome not to.

That and playing a Zoroastrian and driving back the spread of Islam sounds like fun.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Adventurers: Landless characters can gather armies and go off to carve out new realms on their own.
Wut

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Guiscard

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_conquest_of_southern_Italy

Why do you think the Normans took over Southern Italy? Landless sons moving there to set up a new career as mercs and brigands and finally figuring out they could carve out some territory of their own.
Besides, this is a great gameplay addition that might hopefully shake things up.

EDIT: On a related note, seems like I'm pushing back updating my shit again.

EDIT2: And I better get to kill a shitload of viking bastards thinking they can come raiding on MY shores.

Vaarna_Aarne

I wonder if they'll add the interesting recent discovery that Rurikids were genetically of Finno-Ugric ancestry.

mondblut

Arcane
  • New special start date in 867 AD: The Viking Rurik has founded the kingdom of Rus and the Great Heathen Army under the sons of Ragnar Lodbrok rampages through England.
  • Sacrifice to Odin at the great Blot!
  • New events and decisions: berserkers, sejdr, curses, omens, divinations, runestones and much more.

FUCK
YEAH

867 is much more than I could have hoped. Too bad they didn't bother with any in-between scenarios, let alone establishing a full lineage, but I figure every additional time-slice would double the amount of work.

Vaarna_Aarne

I wonder if they'll add the interesting recent discovery that Rurikids were genetically of Finno-Ugric ancestry.

Really? I thought they were Varangians/Vikings. o_O
Swedes (and to a lesser extent Russians) spent 800 years enforcing a picture of Finns as primitive sub-niggers of no worth. Only in the recent years has the history of Finns been under re-evaluation, and the discovery of Rurik most likely belonging to Finno-Ugrics is just one of the new discoveries. The archaeological digs near Hämeenlinna that unearthed an ancient town and digs in Nyland showing habitation long before colonization during the Middle Ages are part of this as well.

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera

Really? I thought they were Varangians/Vikings. o_O
Swedes (and to a lesser extent Russians) spent 800 years enforcing a picture of Finns as primitive sub-niggers of no worth. Only in the recent years has the history of Finns been under re-evaluation, and the discovery of Rurik most likely belonging to Finno-Ugrics is just one of the new discoveries. The archaeological digs near Hämeenlinna that unearthed an ancient town and digs in Nyland showing habitation long before colonization during the Middle Ages are part of this as well.

Not sure if I should believe you, you have nationalistic interest in the subject. But then again, who doesn't?

After reading this from wikipedia (lol): "Genealogical DNA test results of modern Rurikid princes indicate that Rurik was of Finno-Ugrian descent (haplogroup N1c1).,[5] however the Rurikids do not possess the DYS390=24 mutation associated with the Finnic languages, theirs remaining the ancestral DYS390=23, with the Rurikid haplotype itself (all values considered) more closely associated with [North] Germanic speakers (Varangians)", I guess it's all up in the air. I always feel lost in these matters, since I'm an ignorant in genetic genealogy.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Let me put it this way: being related to Russians sucks. So if indeed Finns are related to Rurik I would sweep that under the rug.

Snerf

Learned
As an American/Canadian, all this Russian/Swedish/Finnish heritage banter is confusing and amusing.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
hell yeah

Best expansion imaginable. Far exceeds my expectations. Good job Paradox.

Vaarna_Aarne

Now that I've had my moment of nationalist masturbation and /gd/ antics, I guess it's time to be serious.

I am quite surprised that they extended the timeframe. That would mean that this is probably THE biggest expansion DLC to CK2 yet. Something I very much approve of. However, there's still the big concern that it'll be an "it's all about the vikings" DLC in the vein every other DLC has been, even when there's a lot more pagans around than just said Norse salmonbuggerers (ie, the aforemention Tavastians). The mention of Zoroastrians is good news though, and gives hope for a more generalized approach to the pagans.

XenomorphII

Prophet
Now that I've had my moment of nationalist masturbation and /gd/ antics, I guess it's time to be serious.

I am quite surprised that they extended the timeframe. That would mean that this is probably THE biggest expansion DLC to CK2 yet. Something I very much approve of. However, there's still the big concern that it'll be an "it's all about the vikings" DLC in the vein every other DLC has been, even when there's a lot more pagans around than just said Norse salmonbuggerers (ie, the aforemention Tavastians). The mention of Zoroastrians is good news though, and gives hope for a more generalized approach to the pagans.

One of the devs has already said:

"Vikings are the main focus, but expect some content for Mongols, Zoroastrians and other pagans as well."

And another not much further down:

"The expansion is called "The Old Gods" because it is about all the old Pagan religions, plus Zoroastrianism. Expect unique content for each."

Source: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...her-Pagans&p=14958005&viewfull=1#post14958005

I take that to mean that they will all get some love, but that Vikings will end up getting more.

Cassidy

Arcane
Paradox is Swedish. Even without the naturally greater appeal of Vikings, it's natural they'd focus on them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom