Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

You guys know that vikings were mainly Norwegian and Danish right? Sweden, well, wasnt much at anything then. That could also explain why Paradox isnt focusing on vikings more in their other games...
Yea, Swedish vikings had the tough luck of having their raiding targets mostly be types that killed the fuck out of them if they tried anything funny. Norwegians weren't keen on fighting their Finnish neighbours either, Olaf the Holy suffered a terrible defeat as a young chieftain when he tried to attack the Kvens. A particularly famous incident was when a large raiding party of Swedes made their way all the way to Nokia in order to steal valuable furs (incidentally, the trade route to Kiev and Constantinople sold furs from Finns, with the cosmopolitan Varangians as the middlemen). Well, all is going well and they make off with a bunch of furs without even meeting resistance. Then, while their ships are going downriver, the Tavastians who rule that particular part of ancient Finland spring their ambush, stretching an iron chain over the river and preventing the ships from moving. The Tavastians attack the vikings in a brutally one-sided fight, which leaves the two viking chieftains leading the raid dead, and only a tenth of the men on the raid manage to limp back home. Without any furs.

Well most vikings if we shall call then so from the provinces that now make up Sweden rather than traveling west would sail through what is Russia today often with Constantinople as target to serve in the varangian guard. The number of men who left from home to serve as varangians became such a problem that there were laws made to reduce the number of people that did so. As an example from this law text from my region of the country (which at that point in time was it's own kingdom)

The oldest of the Swedish provincial laws is the Westrogothic law or Västgötalagen, which was used in the province of Västergötland, in west Sweden. Like Gutalagen, it was written in its oldest version around 1220. Some regulations are likely to have their origins in the Viking Age. A stipulation that "no man may inherit while he sits in Greece", for instance, would have been useful during the Viking Age when many Swedes served in the Varangian Guard

Basically the kingdom was in danger of becoming depopulated due to the number of men wanting to remove kebab for the god emperor of man kind Byzantium.

Dem evul Szwedzi,

One of the few wars that Poles are not butthurt about, ask them about Sweden, ABBA will come fitst, The Deluge will be secound. It's still quite funny when you understand that Poland was, at the time, fighting Russia (meh), Ukrainian Cossack (holy shit*) and Sweden (dem infantry peasants)... aaand 2/4 of the Poles died.

* Piechota Zaporoska could kick infinite amount of asses, Swedish Infantry compared to those guys was just a bunch of fucking peasants.

Very cool story bro, but please, there is special thread for posting drunk on the codex, thank you, present-time me.

ps. If you lol'ed at my 2/4, remember, in sovie... Poland 0,5 means bottle of wódka, 2/4 is for more serious occasions.

Destroid

Arcane
Why on earth does CK2 have this great big complicated combat system when the player has no control over it, barely any over unit composition and formation?

Kukulkan

Learned
Hopefully with the new expansion, Paradox will enforce stronger anti-blob measures to keep the Carolingians ,Abbasid, and Bulgarian blobs in check. Two they need to provide the option to organize your pagan religion so it would have a hierarchy and be able to compete with /stamp out any infection caused by Christianity or Islam.

RedScum

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Well with retinues it's pretty easy to decide what your own personal army should consist of. And it is possible to decide the troop composition for your flanks. The main thing that you can't decide is what tactics your generals will use, but since CKII is a game based on dynasties and not on nations where you control everything it makes somewhat sense i guess.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I wasn't even aware how intricate combat really is in this game. Yes, at the beginning when the game just came out you didnt have much influence over your army composition but now you can choose retinue and leaders and that influences tactics used. Also you can always pick the battlefield and that counts a lot.

Personally I like the direction in which combat evolves here.

Borelli

Arcane
I wasn't even aware how intricate combat really is in this game. Yes, at the beginning when the game just came out you didnt have much influence over your army composition but now you can choose retinue and leaders and that influences tactics used. Also you can always pick the battlefield and that counts a lot.

Personally I like the direction in which combat evolves here.
CK2 combat went up a notch when they introduced the combat traits. Before it was military stat = % bonus to troops which was boring and didn't make a difference because once the realm grows past a certain size it will have more than enough vassals to make the potential commander pool so every army has 15-20 commanders on all 3 flanks and even the difference between 15 and 20 is insufficient to make up for the fact that one army has 10k while the other 11k soldiers (11k will win every time).

However with the 1.07 Sword of Islam military stat by itself does nothing, it only buffs and reduces the nerfs of the leader traits who are mostly terrain and/or unit bonuses. And it works great. There is a visible difference now between a commander with good traits (patient gives +20% military defence!) and a bad one which greatly reduces the importance of numbers in an army - which is a good thing.

Destroid

Arcane
Wait, so the military stat doesn't do anything alone? That makes it really annoying to select leaders, since their traits don't show up in the choosing leader box :?

Also, I just got elected HRE (I am Duke of Lombardy) and my demense has grown considerably. What happens to my provinces if someone outside my dynasty gets the next HRE?

RedScum

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Wait, so the military stat doesn't do anything alone? That makes it really annoying to select leaders, since their traits don't show up in the choosing leader box :?

Also, I just got elected HRE (I am Duke of Lombardy) and my demense has grown considerably. What happens to my provinces if someone outside my dynasty gets the next HRE?

I think the traits show up actually, both the usual ones and the military based ones.

And about the last thing: I think you keep your old titles since the HRE only get that title, unless he inherited the other titles too if you have the election law.

Destroid

Arcane
RedScum so they do.

Christians are dominating this map, I've spent pretty much the whole game expanding my little duchy bit by bit, but am now the HRE.

hfjkXpF.jpg

Borelli

Arcane
I hate hate hate it when north of crimea and north of caucaus get conquered by people who should not be there. They should program the byz AI so that it focuses on let's say levant instead.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I hate hate hate it when north of crimea and north of caucaus get conquered by people who should not be there. They should program the byz AI so that it focuses on let's say levant instead.
The way I found it works best is just to have the Cumans be such scary motherfuckers no one will want to go to that area until the Mongols show up.

Kukulkan

Learned
I hate hate hate it when north of crimea and north of caucaus get conquered by people who should not be there.
What about HRE in Africa and England in Spain? :P
Don't forget the Frenchies expanding into Iberia despite that huge chain of mountains that prevented them from doing so in real life. If they haven't already Paradox should give some of the really strong nations a focus on where to expand first so we don't get ridiculous shit like HRE in North Africa.

Vaarna_Aarne

Well HRE in general should be mostly busy with internal bullshit, barely ever getting the chance to actually do stuff abroad as a unified entity.

Borelli

Arcane
In EU3 there are threats and cores and decisions and stuff to guide where a nation should expand, however since states in CK2 are made of actual characters it may be harder to implement. Can they even code the AI for titles and not characters? That way every holder of BYZ would focus on anatolia+greece first, southeast europe+levant second. Since byz is too strong in 1066 i decided to start a campaign in 1080 where turks hold most of anatolia thinking they would occupy the byzantines through the whole game. Instead they went north of crimea while living in love & peace with their next door neighbors.

Also another idea: make it so that crown authority requires military power to raise. Military power from the monarch alone not his vassals. That should take care of absolute CA kingdoms by 1150.

Vaarna_Aarne

Yea, generally being inside an Empire should be like CK2 inside CK2, with imperial politics being like a separate self-contained entity only set aside when invaded. Or in case of the usual Byzantine Empire, not even then so Worst Turk has a fighting chance.

Destroid

Arcane
It seems to me that the 'de jure' claims are what is intended to guide conquests along historical lines. Can't say I'm dreadfully fond of the system, it feels terribly arbitrary.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom