Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
You guys know that vikings were mainly Norwegian and Danish right? Sweden, well, wasnt much at anything then. That could also explain why Paradox isnt focusing on vikings more in their other games...

mondblut

Arcane
Not really, who wouldn't like to be related to the guy that destroyed Khazarian jewery? :obviously:

That's Svyatoslav a century later, duh.

Also, despite Khazaria blobbing over half the map, PRDX are still adamant on not letting the dreaded J-word into their game (lest someone starts killing and converting them and ZOMG this shall not stand!). Watching them trying to weasel out of it like eels on a pan on their forum is quite hilarious.

mondblut

Arcane
You guys know that vikings were mainly Norwegian and Danish right? Sweden, well, wasnt much at anything then. That could also explain why Paradox isnt focusing on vikings more in their other games...

Worse yet, Rjurik himself and his original Rus retinue are widely considered to be of pomeranian wendic origin. Swedes couldn't into expansion until high middle ages :smug:

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Yea, Swedish vikings had the tough luck of having their raiding targets mostly be types that killed the fuck out of them if they tried anything funny. Norwegians weren't keen on fighting their Finnish neighbours either, Olaf the Holy suffered a terrible defeat as a young chieftain when he tried to attack the Kvens. A particularly famous incident was when a large raiding party of Swedes made their way all the way to Nokia in order to steal valuable furs (incidentally, the trade route to Kiev and Constantinople sold furs from Finns, with the cosmopolitan Varangians as the middlemen). Well, all is going well and they make off with a bunch of furs without even meeting resistance. Then, while their ships are going downriver, the Tavastians who rule that particular part of ancient Finland spring their ambush, stretching an iron chain over the river and preventing the ships from moving. The Tavastians attack the vikings in a brutally one-sided fight, which leaves the two viking chieftains leading the raid dead, and only a tenth of the men on the raid manage to limp back home. Without any furs.

Multi-headed Cow

Looking forward to this, though I'll do as I have with all CK2 DLC and wait for a sale. :kingcomrade:

Kattze

Andhaira
Andhaira
:bounce: Make the whole of England into Danelaw :bounce:
:bounce: Regain the Caliphate from the Abbasid usurpers as Umayyads :bounce:
:bounce: Ravage Europe as Magyars :bounce:
:bounce: Drive the muslim scum from Persia :bounce:

:( Turn Europe into Jewrope as Khazaria :( (would have to wait for mods adding Jews)

Multi-headed Cow

NYOH MY GOD. Installed the Game of Thrones mod since I was talking to a buddy who was playing it and it sounds great, and I just saw you can play Craster in it. I NOW KNOW WHAT I MUST DO.

Destroid

Arcane
250px-Craster_infobox.jpg

Cassidy

Arcane
:( Turn Europe into Jewrope as Khazaria :( (would have to wait for mods adding Jews)
I'd give that around 15 minutes or so. There's already mod files for adding Jewish religion, and whipping a new one up isn't difficult.

They will have to be mentioned and linked outside of official Paradox boards, however. Not a big deal. I'll definitively LP this potential mod for the the EP with either the Khazars or Viking Norway under the Breivik dynasty.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I hope Ck2+ continues to be developed alongside these DLC releases, considering the guy who is working on it is now at Paradox... might not get as many updates.

Wise Emperor

Arcane
I wonder how they will deal with Christianity in 867, before the Great Schism. Will Catholicism be a Orthodox heresy, Pope as a Patriarch? Ecumenical Patriarch vs Pope who is better and why. Discuss!

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
They may go with the united church and have some schism events. Or dont bother and just make it the same way it was before. After all most of the difference was political, not theological.

Anyway I am even more interested in this now that I noticed it should also include golden ages of pagans like Hungarians raiding the whole western Europe as far as Iberia. Beat that vikings!

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
NYOH MY GOD. Installed the Game of Thrones mod since I was talking to a buddy who was playing it and it sounds great, and I just saw you can play Craster in it. I NOW KNOW WHAT I MUST DO.

Been eyeing that mod for a while. Once it matures, it could be pretty hilarious to have a KKKodex game of Thrones.

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
They may go with the united church and have some schism events. Or dont bother and just make it the same way it was before. After all most of the difference was political, not theological.

Anyway I am even more interested in this now that I noticed it should also include golden ages of pagans like Hungarians raiding the whole western Europe as far as Iberia. Beat that vikings!

As for religion, I think it will be treated lightly as has been the case in CK2 so far. I think their approach is that more religious depth is considered boring by the masses, alas.

The Hungarian ravaging hordes should be cool, they stroke fear into the hard of all isolated county in western Europe in the 9th century. But I'm not sure Pdox will include them in the game.

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
I'd be up for a religious reform DLC.

I would put much faith on that. :smug:

I've been asking for this very vocally in their forums (along some other prestigious members) since the game was launched. The common populace in their forum and more so the average player is too popamolish for playing with more mature serious subjects, hence the Aztec DLC and other stupid shit from PDOX. :(

EDIT: Consider that the game still doesn't have a proper, nay, an actual Council of Cardinals, something that even Medieval Total War 2 had. Their only interesting religious dynamics is Anti-Papacy, but that is to appease libruls and heatens who despise being governed by Catholic Church rules.

In fact, all of the above is the reason why I praised the inclusion of missionaires in the DLC, something that should be considered very important to the time period of the game.

Holy shit, will I be able to play a pagan pre-potato (Knowing Paradox I can already hear sweet sound of Bruckner rolling in his grave), and make spread of christianity stop on a rock... A POLISH ROCK?

... no, not this one.

this one:

x55kzb.jpg

When it comes to polish rocks, old habits die hard, mutsache stays the same.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom