Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

Yea, generally being inside an Empire should be like CK2 inside CK2, with imperial politics being like a separate self-contained entity only set aside when invaded. Or in case of the usual Byzantine Empire, not even then so Worst Turk has a fighting chance.

Well, that's what it is now at low crown authority. Factions and plots are barely a blip on the radar for kings but for emperors it all explodes.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
Yea, generally being inside an Empire should be like CK2 inside CK2, with imperial politics being like a separate self-contained entity only set aside when invaded. Or in case of the usual Byzantine Empire, not even then so Worst Turk has a fighting chance.

Well, that's what it is now at low crown authority. Factions and plots are barely a blip on the radar for kings but for emperors it all explodes.
The thing is, the cost for crown authority is the same for kingdoms and empires. That just... doesn't make sense. Also, kings living under the empire should be a lot more autonomous than they currently are.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Yea, I will probably hard-cap HRE to No Authority again and remove the ridiculous relations bonus from Elective.

Kukulkan

Learned
Perhaps a major expansion for the HRE similar to Legacy of Rome is in order.
That'd just inevitably turn the HRE into more of a rapetrain.
I meant as in adding a similar level of depth that LoR did for the Byzantines. Though it's a common thing in Paradox expansions to make whatever is the focus of the dlc overpowered. When SoI came out the Muslims were overpowered, when LoR the Byzies were overpowered, when the Republic came out Republics became overpowered. It'll just take a patch or two to rebalance things.

Yea, I will probably hard-cap HRE to No Authority again and remove the ridiculous relations bonus from Elective.

The way I see it, elective should work like this:
- When your dynasty loses the throne, your nomination for the throne should have the option to contest the elective process. This would start an instant civil war for the throne (with anyone who isn't a very close ally joining the rightfully elected emperor). If your nomination wins the law changes to non-elective.
- If they choose not to go to war and the succession is a peaceful one, your nominated character gets the relations boost for everyone in the empire (for following the correct process and promoting peace and stability).
- If the present emperor's nominated heir is one not of their own dynasty, the emperor gets the same relationship boost they have now (people are more comfortable with your rule knowing that your dynasty isn't trying to make themselves a permanent emperor)

So effectively your option is to either utilize the relations bonus and give up the throne every once in a while, or to not utilize the relations bonuses and try to continually elect your own heir emperor (which requires the empire to like you a lot).

Kattze

Andhaira
Andhaira
The only way to definitely weaken the HRE is to strengthen the role of the pope in imperial elections (imperial coronations, anti-kings etc.), instead of just being a super-bishop with lots of jewgoldz.

Borelli

Arcane
Didn't HRE become elective only in the 14th century? Which is EU3 timeline? In CK2 time we have people like Frederick Barbarossa who were quite powerful although even he spent most of his time on internal problems.

Kattze

Andhaira
Andhaira
Didn't HRE become elective only in the 14th century? Which is EU3 timeline? In CK2 time we have people like Frederick Barbarossa who were quite powerful although even he spent most of his time on internal problems.
Not really, 14th century is where the electoral system was codified and restricted to electors (ie. Golden Bull of 13xx) but before that the elective principle was already present in the medieval kingdom of Germany (and by extension, the HRE) since the death of Carolingians. Even if the HRE became de facto controlled by one family (ie. Hohenstaufen) and ruled by good rulers (ie. Frederick Barbarossa, Frederick II), they have to pay lip-service to the elections by having their sons elected as 'King of Romans' as well.

Another important effect that the Golden Bull have on imperial elections is that it removes the papal grip in choosing the next emperor. Whereas, during 11th/12th century, papal coronation* is a 'must' before being recognised as HRE and not just the 'King of Germany' or 'King of Romans'; after the Golden Bull was enacted, papal coronation became merely a formality of concurring with the choice of the electors (after the Golden Bull, only one emperor was crowned by the pope but they were recognised as HRE by all Euro states).

*Which leads to Papal assumption of superiority over the HRE. Since according to the Popes, they were in effect giving 'power' to the HRE by the act of placing a crown to the emperor-elect's head. In theory, the pope was the one 'making' them emperors.

The papal-imperial cold war was really one of the most interesting aspects of medieval europe, so it was a shame that it is not really present within the game.

The papal-imperial cold war was really one of the most interesting aspects of medieval europe, so it was a shame that it is not really present within the game.

Unfortunately I can't think of a good way to represent it. Exactly how much would be possible with current mechanics other than bribing the pope? Religion is too thinly utilized in CK2 that there's not much possible.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Event chains obviously, doesnt even have to introduce new mechanics (of course I would love some of those, curia, papal conclaves, papal authority expanded, bishops and archbishops). Factions within the empire supporting both sides. Plots too.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
My Despotate of Neapolis is down to two countries and Norman Snow niggers from Sicily have de jure claim on both, soon will have to move into Worst Turk border and poison my childless Uncle to inherit theme there. :decline: Still the Sergio-Phokases of Neaplis fight the Latin Pope-amole.

i played the game vanilla first months ago. now i play it again, with dlcs everywhere. i've been playing for a while now and i'm facing the utter retard of the aztec invasion, i didn't disable it at first because i thought it could bring useful features here and there and not finding any switch in-game to turn that retardness off i took for granted it was off by default.
is my game broken beyond repair?

Multi-headed Cow

Glad I read that. I was under the impression Aztec invasion wasn't enabled by default either. I figured it was a special start date or something. Now I know.

Kukulkan

Learned
IIRC the devs will make the Aztecs playable with the new DLC release. So if you desire converting all of Western Europe to the worship of Xolotl, now you can.

Destroid

Arcane
Is it possible to destroy a title once it has been created? Or do they just get passed around ad infinitum.

XenomorphII

Prophet
Is it possible to destroy a title once it has been created? Or do they just get passed around ad infinitum.

They can be destroyed (duke and up that is). It will upset all de jure vassals though.

Click on your title shield (under the portrait of your character/or just bring up your character page). Then just click a title that you hold. There should be options to destroy it, make it primary, view claimants, and view its history.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space

They can be destroyed (duke and up that is). It will upset all de jure vassals though.
Jesus, how to forget my once united spanish peninsula ravaged by civil war because this. After spending several centuries of Reconquista, driving off the moors from Hispaniola.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
It is. Just go to the title screen where you create them, and you'll find Destroy option if you've got the option to do so.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom