Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Classic D&D/AD&D/OSR Art

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
You know, you can train stable diffusion on this stuff to generate more of this stuff. I might do it just for lulz.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
You know, you can train stable diffusion on this stuff to generate more of this stuff. I might do it just for lulz.
Already in progress: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/bringing-d-d-ad-d-campaign-settings-to-life-with-stable-diffusion.144466/post-8313568

UKCzCZA.png
kueU9EQ.png

mjMQdah.png
SYIIpbD.png

Erebus

Arcane
Russ Nicholson has sadly passed away.

He illustrated a lot of gamebooks (most famously The Warlock of Firetop Mountain) and also contributed to many RPGs, including D&D.

I really enjoyed his style, especially the way he depicted characters and monsters :

woftm02.jpg

WEB%2BRAT%2BATTACK.jpg

russ-nicholson-artist-behind-many-iconic-creature-designs-v0-6jcz29om0e0b1.jpg

WEB%2BGETTING%2BRID%2BOF%2BSTALKER.jpg

Last edited:

PapaPetro

Ok first, we haven't established the hook aliens are evil; they could just be hug "monsters".
Second, I think we're all in agreement that he wizard blasting the hook horror through the face with magic is fucking based as fuck.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
It is odd how more simplistic yet somehow more intricately-drawn fantasy artwork is more evocative.

When I look at something like this:

fgeMmWZ.jpeg

it gets my creative juices flowing and makes me wonder all sorts of things about the subject matter.

FRye0tLXoAEf26J.jpg

I honestly couldn't care less.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
It's a lot to do with the commercialization. Just like the gameplay devolves to the lowest common denominator so does the art work and art design.

One would think that capitalism's appeal to what a lot of people want is a good thing, and it is a lot of the time, but not always. Left to their own devices, a hell of a lot of people seemingly want to see ginormous spikey shoulder pads, they think it's cool for some reason, but if artists in every company are forced to produce spikey shoulder pads to appeal to that mass, everything starts looking the same and glides over your mind.

Capitalism works much better when the emphasis isn't so much on making a profit (I mean sure, it has to be there, that's pragmatic) but on making a standout product and putting their heart and soul into it - more like the attitude in the earlier part of the 20th century. That way, a thousand flowers bloom, the public discovers things it didn't know it wanted, and they start to explore all sorts of things, just because they're available. Then the spikey shoulder pads recede to manageable levels - indeed, look fine in moderation.

RPK

Scholar
It is odd how more simplistic yet somehow more intricately-drawn fantasy artwork is more evocative.

fgeMmWZ.jpeg

it gets my creative juices flowing and makes me wonder all sorts of things about the subject matter.

FRye0tLXoAEf26J.jpg

I honestly couldn't care less.

I tend to agree. I don't know if it has to do with relatability/verisimilitude or what. Like, you can more easily imagine in the first picture and insert yourself into it than you can in the second one. There's just nothing to relate to in the second one - nothing to ground it in any sort of reality.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom