Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Clockwork Revolution - inXile's steampunk time travel first-person action-RPG led by Chad Moore and Jason Anderson

Gargaune

Magister
This time travel mechanic thing... wasn't there a Sci-Fi RTS or RTT game back in the day that did it? Gave you "time" as a strategic resource you could rewind in combat? Like the game actually kept recording the full, real-time state of the world for a short while and you could roll it back, albeit only so far.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Bioshock 1-2 are good games

So if you take a look at Bio2, and what Levine was originally talking about in interviews on the game I wanna say maybe even months before release, vs. what was delivered, there's a HUGE fucking difference.

The example was the little sisters. Originally in design there was gonna be only one of them, and she was essentially gonna be stalking you over various points, etc. He was pushing that narrative for a long looong time if I recall, and never really changed his tune about that until just before release when he started to trickle out about the story etc.

Harthwain

Magister
This time travel mechanic thing... wasn't there a Sci-Fi RTS or RTT game back in the day that did it? Gave you "time" as a strategic resource you could rewind in combat? Like the game actually kept recording the full, real-time state of the world for a short while and you could roll it back, albeit only so far.
The internet search mentions Achron (2011). Could this be what you had in mind?

Gargaune

Magister
The internet search mentions Achron (2011). Could this be what you had in mind?
Yes, I think that's it! Looked up a review for it and the UI seems familiar from a gaming mag back then. And it seems my memory only did the mechanic so much justice, you could go both backward and forward in time:

1774985-984906_20110831_001.jpg

So expect to struggle with the flexible chronology. But the "aha!" moments come, and when they do, they might make your mind explode. A simple scenario: Battle doesn't go the way you intend. And so you move back in time and issue a different set of orders. A more involved scenario: Confuse your opponent by skipping into the future and issuing orders, and then undoing them when that future turns into the present. Convolute events even further by using the chronoporter structure to send your robots into the immediate past, and watch as the current version of those robots and their past selves participate in the same skirmish. Thanks to time manipulation, you've just cloned an army.

duskvile

Fabulous Optimist
Alternate universe Brian Fargo joins the inXile meme team:
Maybe it's time to make a dedicated thread for Inksul Entertainment memes just to make things in order. :positive:
I would really like to see some gameplay.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
While I am also skeptical that time travel will be more than a gimmick, what CRPGs feature time travel that make you hate it? We've got Chrono-Trigger, some IWD2 quests, that recent(ish) game Waylanders that got panned. What else? My intuition says there are more, but I'm not thinking of many.

Better question is when was the last time you consumed a time travel story that was truly a great story.
Interstellar, Donnie Darko, Groundhog Day, Tennet, Arrival, Coherence, and Midnight in Paris, Terminator, 2001: A Space Odessey, 12 Monkeys, Terminator 2, Deja Vu, A Christmas Carol, The Endless.

Mind you, most of these are better described as "quite good" rather than great, and there are a few here that deal with abstract experience of time, rather than literal passage through it.

Some of those are doubtful. I have a hard time as seeing loop-driven plots like Groundhog Day or Donnie Darko (or and Edge of Tomorrow, as another example) as time travel stories since the protagonists aren't really going anywhere, but fair enough. I'm also not sure I accept the Christmas Carol either since Scrooge doesn't exercise any agency over the timeline (except the present where he lives) and might as well just be visions in his head.

I feel that most of the other ones kind of prove my point, especially the Terminator. The plotting of the Terminator franchise is janky as fuck.

Note however that I don't equivocate a bad plot (spurious or excessively contrived interrelations between events that strain logic and plausibility) as necessarily equivocating to a bad story/video game/artwork/product.

Vulpes

Scholar
So the guy who is probably responsible for a lot of the cringeworthy moments in both Wasteland 3 and Baldur's Gate 3 that try too hard to be funny is now being brought as a comedy consultant? Why? The game is already a joke.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Gavin's not too bad. He executed Avellone's vision of Erritis pretty well.

Moink

Cipher
The return of Gavin Jurgens-Fyhrie:

If you do a quick google search you can find a lot of posts celebrating this guy getting fired from Blizzard. Seems to be a lot of complaints about him pushing fanfiction into the lore and blocking people on twitter for anything negative.

Vulpes

Scholar
Gavin's not too bad. He executed Avellone's vision of Erritis pretty well.
He is a yuri-loving cumbrain who wrote the first pansexual playable character in Overwatch. Speaking of Torment, maybe it actually would've been a decent product if him, Colin McComb, Mer Lafferty and the rest of the libshit writers spent less time on Twitter sperging out about the 2016 election, and more on actually working on the game.

If you do a quick google search you can find a lot of posts celebrating this guy getting fired from Blizzard. Seems to be a lot of complaints about him pushing fanfiction into the lore and blocking people on twitter for anything negative.
You mean like turning Pharah into a carpet-muncher? Yeah, who could've guessed that making retcons that only serve to pander to mentally ill fags and dykes on Twitter isn't a smart idea?

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Gavin was okay, but hardpass on the whole thing if Cumstain McCuck also makes a return.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom