Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community Codex GOTY 2015 - Results

In another week, I suggest a poll rating the butthurt of individual posters' reactions to the poll results / methodology / existence thereof altogether, on a (purely objective) scale of 1-Qwinn, for all Codexia. (Filtered through bayesian average, of course, with separate demarcations for join date, post count, brofists received, brofists given, and every ratio between the parameters imaginable.)

Would need an editors' choice as well.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
By the way, which formula was used for the bayesian average?
BA=(3,48*n+A*V)/(n+V)

V = Game's Votes
A = Game's average score
n = Number of votes from the half of most voted game

I decided on it last year, but it's the same formula they use on IMDB, IIRC.

Mychkine

Educated
Thanks a lot felipepepe. 3,48 is a mean under all votes for all games?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Together with the "n", that's the other value that changes with every formula you'll find. Some do use the mean, others a target / expected value, others a fixed minimum cut value (like, any game under 4 isn't fit for GOTY, so it's removed). Last year we used 3,48 as a positive "expect value", so I kept it this year to avoid MANIPULATION DRAMA (people fighting over the n is bothersome enough).

If you use the mean instead, you'll see that the overall BA drops. While the top results are kept no matter what, I think it heavily penalizes games with less votes.

For example, if you use the mean in the GOTY category, Voidspire Tactics goes from 4th to 6th, replaced by Serpents in the Staglands. I think that's unfair:

PnT87sn.jpg

They have basically the same 1-3 votes, but VT has more than twice 5/5 votes %... it's bullshit to say SitS is a better game just because more people played it.

Did that lead to games like Red Solstice being higher than they should? Yes. But I think it's a fair tradeoff.

Dead Guy

Cipher
Butthurt fanboys PSA:
I'm selling 5/5 votes for your favourite 2016 game, but unfortunately I can't afford paying the adminstration enough jew golds to peddle my votes in the forum. If you'd just follow me to this empty house over here I'll show you all my quality 5/5's, made out of meteor metal, guaranteed.

Mychkine

Educated
Thanks for the insight. If I find some time, I'll do some tests on my own on the data, but again, congratz your great work !

I propose that the current methodology of the poll be declared invalid and that the results be based on the number of hours played for each game in Codexers' Steam accounts instead. We'll see the terrible truth then. Oh yes we will.

And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethesda to be born?

Unwanted

Irenaeus III

Unwanted
Shitposter
I have 100+ hours (and loads of accomplishments) on both AoD and PoE, the games I voted 5. I say bring it.

Shin

Cipher
I think for next year we should have everyone submit video evidence of their facial expressions while playing said games. Then we can start on converting the movement of the facial muscles to a huge database of past votes and behavior on the codex to determine if someone is SPREADING LIES.
:outrage:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I'm still for people voting with paypal donations to my account, and the game with most donations wins. It's not a true vote if you didn't put your money where your mouth is.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Compare this with the last year results: 1300 votes in 2014 versus 742 in 2015. The difference is staggering: 57% less votes.
Last year was open to everyone, this year only to registered users. Of course it had more votes, anyone lurking or stumbling into the voting on twitter, facebook, reddit or whatever could vote.

Also, names & votes are now displayed for everyone, not something devs are happy about. You can see that some devs actually opened the poll but didn't vote for any game...

Fairfax

Arcane
Hey felipepepe, could you freeze rows up to 14 in the "overall data" page? Would make it a lot easier to see each user's votes.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Could you also freeze the first column *in the 1984 sections where I see who voted for what.

Fairfax

Arcane
Thanks, this is much better. :M

Has this been posted yet?

Users who gave Fallout 4 a 5/5:

• Curious_Tongue
  • flabbyjack
  • Grampy_Bone
  • Mastermind
  • mbpopolano24
  • Pirata Alma Negra
  • Pretty
  • Rpguy
  • Urthor
  • Zep Zepo

Users who gave Fallout 4 a 4/5:

• Dangersaurus
  • matt
  • Mortmal
  • MZeta
  • Nekot-The-Brave
  • Pigiron
  • Seerix
  • Sky
  • sstacks
  • Themadcow
  • ZodoZ

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity
Compare this with the last year results: 1300 votes in 2014 versus 742 in 2015. The difference is staggering: 57% less votes.
Last year was open to everyone, this year only to registered users. Of course it had more votes, anyone lurking or stumbling into the voting on twitter, facebook, reddit or whatever could vote.

Also, names & votes are now displayed for everyone, not something devs are happy about. You can see that some devs actually opened the poll but didn't vote for any game...

Devs don't have time to play, at least not seriously enough to vote meaningfully. Heck I know one that can't get around to finishing a simple 2000 word paper (soon though)

But what about all the pirating people too poor to pay for games, like all them eastern europeans and south americans posting here?
Are you suggesting that a prestigious magazine condone piracy by including their vote? No, like all poor people throughout the ages, their voice counts for nothing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom